Jitterless pc audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dean - yes I read this already but it is too complicated for me and requires soldering skills beyond me.

I was hoping to avoid external DAC by using digital amp.

Is there no software that can route raw WAV audio (PCM) to ethernet card?

ALternatively what is the best hardware solution - medi centre controller?

John

jdybnis said:
Gordon,
I don't think we're both talking about the same thing. I'm talking about how to get a digital audio signal from a PC to an external DAC. Sorry if I repeat things you already know.
I suggest using a soundcard. It can be SPDIF, I2S, AES/EBU, USB, Firewire, or whatever, as long as you have a reciever for it on your DAC.
Firewire or another asynchronous solution would be optimal, but firewire is complicated to implement. Another optimal solution is to use SPDIF, I2S, etc. going from the soundcard to the DAC, plus a clock signal going from the DAC back to the soundcard. This sychronizes the soundcard with the DAC so you can use a FIFO on the DAC to reclock the audio signal.
This works with as many channels as your PC can output and your DAC can input. If you have a multichannel DAC and a soundcard with 6 channels of digital output (i.e. 3 stereo pairs) then you can play 5.1 audio.
If you want to play a DVD-A through your PC you also have to worry about decoding it, no matter what kind of interface you have between your PC and DAC. AFAIK there are no software DVD-A decoders available or hardware decoders availible without a license. But that is a separate issue.
-Josh
Josh,
I was definitely talking about the different solution, If we need to transfer the digital data from PC to the external DAC without thinking about High-Res formats, your offer definitely makes sense.
Concerning mentioned here receiver, we still need to modify it to get the word clock output to sync the soundcard and that will require some soldering, AFAIK.

yeah.... i'd have to say its odd that no one has a real solution as simple as dig out to dig in. its kind of weird. an ethernet card wouldnt work... but not without a LOT of soldering and programming your own pic or similar microcontroller to decode the data. good idea though. what sucks is the really fast interfaces like firewire and usb 2 are really difficult to work with (*******s) and require a lot of processing on recieving end as well... you'd probably have just as good a shot trying the ethernet thing (realistically you wouldnt get as much data as fast though). its amazing how many times i've seen incredible daw's and banks of super expensive dac's being driven in and out of a sblive or equivalent consumer based sound card. what i plan on doing is tracking down one of those adat light pipe io cards and using my adat's for conversion into an analog amp. i like the dacs and the card is pretty cheap. if your dac or digi amp has light pipe in, this could be one option. there are some decent cards out there that dont use crappy interfaces, but they may not have analog out at all.

Firewire Audio Interface

Hi everyone

I looked into this Firewire issue with a view to getting SACD and DVD-A audio data to my digital amp and then extracting it into some sensible form like I2S/SPDIF/DSD that real audio people can understand!
Neither the TI Ice-Lynx chip nor the Oxford Semi chip are true 'drop-in' interfaces, and to implement what should conceptually be "piece of wire" becomes a ridiculously complex job.

What I thought of doing was this: I believe there are now commercial PC-sound cards which provide both Firewire and multiple channel SPDIF connectivity. (Top end Creative Labs?) So why not use a small PC (with sound card + DVD drive) as the 'player' in your audio system? It's not likely to be anymore cumbersome to use than a modern DVD-player with it's endless reams of menus and options and 'please waits'. You can probably scrounge up the PC for very little cost; the greatest outlay will be on the sound card.

John Hope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.