TEAC VRDS T1 CD Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is an old thread, but I give it a try.

Lately I have replaced the laser of my T1 transport, and now the player sometimes does read the TOC, sometimes not. When I press the play button the player makes some mechanical noise, and then stop.

Does someone have the service manual or some hints how to properly set it up? I do have a scope.

Thanks.

T1

Hi Peter,

I think you have the wrong laser unit in your T1.

The fact that the part No. KSS-240A is written on the box and laser unit doesn't mean that it's the right one! Try to measure the laser output and make sure this unit is not emitting light while the player is not playing or trying to read! This is one of the main fault with this T1 and the VRDS-7 which is the T1 with build in DAC.

If you don't succeed, just let me know.

All the best,

Audiofanatic ;)

You are right. I had seen your post about the three different types of the KSS-240A, now I know for myself... Now I have put back the old one, and it's working normally again.

I replaced the laser because the player was skipping sometimes. Now I think the problem comes from the rubbers under the suspension mechanism, I switched the front ones with the back ones and the problem seems to be gone, but time will learn.

Anyone knows where I can order new ones?

Hi all,

I got a problem with my Teac VRDS T1.
It's sometime skipping a few seconds, the most frequent is on track 1 of the CD.

The serial number is 90246. Should I change the laser ?

As the problem is not so frequent, I would like to buy a spare laser unit just in case.... Could you help me with the KSS exact type and some sites where I can buy it ?

Thanks a lot

VRDS player is very good !

KSS-240A

Hi,

The Laser unit you need for your T1 is a KSS-240A but make sure you order/buy the right one, cause there are a few type's that doesn't work well with the TEAC T1 or VRDS 7.

BTW if your player skips at the beginning of many CD's, than I'll first try cleaning the lens and if that doesn't work, you'll have to replace the laser unit!

All the best,

Audiofanatic ;)

mgm31 said:
Hi all,

I got a problem with my Teac VRDS T1.
It's sometime skipping a few seconds, the most frequent is on track 1 of the CD.

The serial number is 90246. Should I change the laser ?

As the problem is not so frequent, I would like to buy a spare laser unit just in case.... Could you help me with the KSS exact type and some sites where I can buy it ?

Thanks a lot

VRDS player is very good !

Hi

Yes. I like the T1 too. Some questions to understand what is happening

When the player plays the first track, is it then sensitve to mechanical vibrations ?

Did you check the radial movement of the sledge ? It may not run smoothly, this can be improved by adding a little bit of oil to the bearing axes

best

Guido

Teac VRDS-7 problem

Hello,

I recently got a VRDS-7 (cheap) that was not working. The problem is:

1. At rest the pickup is at the far back position
2. When I insert a CD the pickup moves foward, but the disc doesn´t spin up
3. After a short while the pickup moves back to the back position

If I help the disc it will start to spin, but it will do this at top speed and all controls are dead (I have to shut off the player completely to stop it)

I have tried to understan this thread, but I´m not sure if I understand the problem completely.

Is it the laser thats dead or could it be something else?

The laser is marked: KSS240A 16933 K600 and the players serial no is 70197.

I would be most thankful for help!

Best regards

Vebbe

Thanks Audiofanatic!

I understand what a dead laser unit means, but how do I fix a "missing clock signal"?

Also, what exactly do you mean by saying that I need the original laser pickup? If the original pickup is dead, wouldn´t this have to be replaced?

Best regards

Vebbe

Laser & Signal

Hi Vebbe,

There are at least 3 types of laser unit with the same No. KSS-240A.
So if you order a new one, order it from a TEAC dealer/shop!

The clock signal can be measured with a scoop.

I think though that it is the broken laser that causes this failure.
Buy a new one and do yourself a favor DO NOT TOUCH ANY POTMETER ON THAT UNIT!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Thanks again Audiofanatic!

I´ve never changed a laser unit before. Is it something that is possible to do by myself on a VRDS-7?

I´m not a trained electronics engineer, but I´m willing to give it a try as long as it doesn´t involve trimming levels or something of that nature (I think I can handle the mechanics of the exchange).

I get the feeling you have done this many times, what is your advice?

Best regards

Vebbe

PM

Hi Vebbe,

I'm more than willing to help you out with this.
Maybe it's best to e-mail me so we can go step by step to get this VRDS 7 back to work!

It's not difficult it's just about patience and being handy enough to do what you need to do on this machine.

Just hit my e-mail button below this post and I'll help you!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. In the Netherlands I've been called more than ones; the TEAC (VRDS) expert! I just say, I love these machines they are build just the right way! The way I would build one if I would need to build a CD player!

I’ve posted this before, but for those of you having intermittent or continual problems with the older TEAC VRDS players and transports please check the two small belts in the units, which are the Achilles heal of the Teac units. One is for the drawer and the other is for the lift that engages the CD against the VRDS mechanism.
The belts do dry out after a few years much like a Turntable and begin to slip or even break.
What happens is that the CD will not be fully engaged against the upper concave dick, and will spin erratically causing reading problems so that the disk is not read at all.
While the unit is disassembled apply a drop of light oil (sewing machine oil) to the lift shaft (VRDS 10/20) and motor shafts.
The rails for the drawer and laser should also be cleaned and lubricated with a bit of silicone grease.
Barring a laser failure the deck should be good for at least another ten years or more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.