The ultimate TDA1543 DAC layout??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here my try at Peter's DAC. I used the schematic that he posted, thanks Peter, and some of the PCB prototype images that he posted too. I'll hear by myself pretty soon its good sound :D

Guys, don't ask for my PCB, ask Peter. His design is result of countless hours and experimentation. Anyway, my own try is probably not the real thing, but close I hoped ;)

We'll see.

Attachments

• 1543 both_small.jpg
    1543 both_small.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,566
Layout

Algar_emi said:
Here my try at Peter's DAC. I used the schematic that he posted, thanks Peter, and some of the PCB prototype images that he posted too. I'll hear by myself pretty soon its good sound :D

Guys, don't ask for my PCB, ask Peter. His design is result of countless hours and experimentation. Anyway, my own try is probably not the real thing, but close I hoped ;)

We'll see.

Layout hardly influences the sound, unless you make big errors.:rolleyes: :cool:

Upgraded DAC

Peter Daniel said:
Here's the latest configuration. It includes pretty good parts choices and there's not much to be improved (maybe going balanced).

There is one mod however, that makes this DAC even better, and includes following parts upgrades:

* 4 x BG N 1000/50 in main filtering stage (instead of BG NX/STD caps)
* 2k7 Caddocks TF020 I/V resistors (instead of Rikens, but only if V-Caps are used, otherwise I didn't like Caddocks that much)
* 1 uF TFTF V-caps for coupling, instead of BG N caps

The above (8) parts cost in proximity of $600, but I think the upgrade is worthwhile ;)

I also switched to AC PS. While batteries may offer some extra smoothness, a good quality AC provides more dynamics, that are closer to live musical presentation (and the smoothnes does not seem natural), YMMV

I had a chance to compare such modified DAC to my other DAC, ML360S, and while Levinson offers a bit more finese, that NOS DAC might not show that clearly, the NOS DAC is much better in portraying naturalness of music, is actually better at high frequencies (they lack ultimate resolution on Levinson), and is much better in pace and rhytm department (this is actually a big strength of NOS TDA1543 with passive output).

I was switching between those two DAC for last three days, but I think I will stay with TDA1543 ;)

Hi Peter,

I just got your model DAC from one of audiogoner in Canada and need to ask you if I can upgrade to a better level or what you described above in this forum. Since I do not know this DAC name but I will describe how does it look like.
1. PS: Two ANK88 from IEC
2. Four voltage regulators
3. Two RM15 (each has 4 caps Elna 3300mF/25V around)
4. Five other 3300mF/25V to the left side of a chip TD1543 and a big chip CS8414 or CS8412.
5. Two another medium size Elna caps (I do not see the values and smaller than 3300mf one.
6. There are three other small size Nichicon Muse Gold 33mF/6.3V caps.
7. A couple very small size aluminum caps connected to RCA outputs (I do not see the values.
8. Three red small rectangular caps (WIMA caps maybe?)
9. One small square blue cap next to another voltage regulator.
That were all I can see since I do not have a schematic nor any specs about this DAC. The sound is smooth, clean and musical but slow and no 3D image at all with lack of bottom. Therefore, I need your help since I have read your new model with some BG caps. Is there another ways to improve the sound? I would appreciate your help and time.

Kind regards,
Tan:bawling: :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.