Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I had (finally) the opportunity to get a little bit more into my 205. Some considerations about the digital board.
The board is mounted a little bit higher than in the old model, to allow a better ventilation. The main processor it have a very thick thermal pad under the board, to help it dissipating better the heat. The digital board it can not be taken out from its place, without dismounting the back panel. I noticed that the very short flat cable connecting the stereo board with the multi channel one, is carefully shielded. The larger and longer flat cable connecting the digital board with the stereo board is not shielded at all. Bad!
I examined a little bit closer the clock system on digital board (pictured here the clocks around main chips). The Silicone Image chip is run it by two clocks: a 27Mhz one, and a 148,5Mhz SAW (see the Oppo description about this clock approach). The SAW oscillator is outputting in differential/balanced, which then is converted to unbalanced by a dedicated chip placed on the board downside. The unbalanced clock signal it goes into the Silicone Image chip, doing its job as Oppo described. The main processor it still have its own 27Mhz clock (resonator) on the board downside.
The same clock approach for the optical drive processor (25Mhz) as in 203.
My first conclusion is that clock system in 205 is a little bit more complicated than in 203 model, and the work to improve it it will be accordingly bigger.
The 148,5 Mhz clock it can not be touched, as the frequency value is customised and that`s it. I would like to improve the power supply for this oscillator, and maybe the one for the Silicone Image chip (right beside it as you see in picture).
The 27Mhz resonator for the same SI processor it have to be replaced, and I have already an output free on my clock board for this one. The same for the 27Mhz resonator for main processor, and the 25Mhz for the disc drive processor.
Well, a little bit of work in this direction... But first, I will finally finish to assembly the LPM for 205, as today I got the fresh produced boards, which it fit in place..

Attachments

• 205 - CLKs.jpg
    205 - CLKs.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just updated the firmware to its very last version (on a 203 device). The severe network issues it ware addressed. Everything it work much better now about network interface (the system react faster actually - very nice!).
The sound quality on the XLR output added to this 203 (linear PSU already installed), after upgrading the firmware it become just unbelievable. I never thought this AKM DAC it can sounds so, with so tremendous dynamics, so detailed, and warm in the same time. Very delightfully and impressive sound indeed. And much better than the stock 205, even with the last Sabre Pro DAC chip inside...
I have not improved yet the clock system on this 203 device, I test it...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, my LPM for 205 model is finished and at work...
I added an approach for much easier detach from the chassis (if necessary), as now the thermal pad it have a larger surface, and the adhesive force is very strong.
The older (original power cable) it seems is placed under the optical drive before mounting it as for this model (optical drive very low), it is not possible to pull that cable out, but only cutting out one of its end connectors.

Attachments

• LPM-205a.jpg
    LPM-205a.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 684
  • LPM-205b.jpg
    LPM-205b.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 619
  • LPM -205c.jpg
    LPM -205c.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 596
  • LPM-205d.jpg
    LPM-205d.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You know, I haven`t yet the available time for this simple test. I have only tested it with the main board connected, but not yet any functional test for the whole device.
It looks to me that you will have the opportunity heaving such impressions before mine...:D

So far I`m very impress about how a 203 device it behave and perform for both sound and picture, with this LPM in place, as other improvements as well...

However, soon I will start to work on 205...:) I assume 205 it have to be better...

You know, I haven`t yet the available time for this simple test. I have only tested it with the main board connected, but not yet any functional test for the whole device.
It looks to me that you will have the opportunity heaving such impressions before mine...:D

So far I`m very impress about how a 203 device it behave and perform for both sound and picture, with this LPM in place, as other improvements as well...

However, soon I will start to work on 205...:) I assume 205 it have to be better...
Hi, Coris. How do you like it when the 205 working as a CD transport? Better than 105?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
205 it sounds better so as it is than 105 in the same condition, at its time. This is because the DAC chip it is improved, the main processor is also a new generation, and I suspect Oppo have done something in their firmware, to increase the dynamics and improve the (digital) audio section.
Definitely 205 it is a step forward. It is better than 105 as it represent a technological progress. Even its optical drive section is an improved version. However, the Oppo designers contribution to improve their design, especially for audio section, more than implementing the new chips, is minimal. So this player it suffer (as the former models too, at their launch time) for some imperfections. Well, here at least and in fact it is about a mass production consumer product...
So, 205 it have a better hardware base, which it can provide a completely different potential for quality, than 105 it offered at its time. To take advantage of this technological improvement and step forward, design corrections are also necessary.
My opinion...

And another detail, which it was a big surprise for me: an improved 203 (AKM DAC) it sounds (analogue outputs) much better than an stock 205 (ESS9038Pro DAC) it does.

Last edited:
205 it sounds better so as it is than 105 in the same condition, at its time. This is because the DAC chip it is improved, the main processor is also a new generation, and I suspect Oppo have done something in their firmware, to increase the dynamics and improve the (digital) audio section.
Definitely 205 it is a step forward. It is better than 105 as it represent a technological progress. Even its optical drive section is an improved version. However, the Oppo designers contribution to improve their design, especially for audio section, more than implementing the new chips, is minimal. So this player it suffer (as the former models too, at their launch time) for some imperfections. Well, here at least and in fact it is about a mass production consumer product...
So, 205 it have a better hardware base, which it can provide a completely different potential for quality, than 105 it offered at its time. To take advantage of this technological improvement and step forward, design corrections are also necessary.
My opinion...

And another detail, which it was a big surprise for me: an improved 203 (AKM DAC) it sounds (analogue outputs) much better than an stock 205 (ESS9038Pro DAC) it does.
Interesting! How to replace the ESS dac with AKM? Thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I will not say that AKM DAC it may be better than ESS9038Pro one. Here is all about implementation, and Oppo design, which it mainly following first the rules of business, rather than the rules of professionals... Or following the rule of a profitable compromise... However, we may not ignore the fact that Oppo provide a good hardware platform, for a acceptable price. Those who may want more, may invest more, and this it is enough alright too...
No way to replace AKM with ESS90230, or the opposite. One should chose to invest in one or another of the DAC systems. Both these chips it can sounds very different, up to the system and designs it have around. These two Oppo player models one using AKM and one using the most advanced DAC chip at the moment, it only confirm very well this statement.
I`m sure that 205 model and its hardware is much more capable to provide quality, if accordingly improved...

Last edited:
I will not say that AKM DAC it may be better than ESS9038Pro one. Here is all about implementation, and Oppo design, which it mainly following first the rules of business, rather than the rules of professionals... Or following the rule of a profitable compromise... However, we may not ignore the fact that Oppo provide a good hardware platform, for a acceptable price. Those who may want more, may invest more, and this it is enough alright too...
No way to replace AKM with ESS90230, or the opposite. One should chose to invest in one or another of the DAC systems. Both these chips it can sounds very different, up to the system and designs it have around. These two Oppo player models one using AKM and one using the most advanced DAC chip at the moment, it only confirm very well this statement.
I`m sure that 205 model and its hardware is much more capable to provide quality, if accordingly improved...
Just ordered my 203 a minute ago.:) Could you please let me know which is the onboard oscillator for audio?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, you were fast... Maybe you should wait for some different opinions too, before an investing...
There is no any oscillator dedicated to the audio section in this model. The DAC needed clock frequencies are software controlled/generated, based on the clock of the main processor (27Mhz).

There appear to be experts here on the OPPO devices.
I had a couple of questions about the new oppo UDP-205

This device support multichannel audio through HDMI.
1. Can i use this as a multichannel DAC?
2. Will this device appear as a multichannel audio device to Jriver? for my 4-way active loudspeakers, I run my DSP crossovers in Jriver convolution engine and currently use a USB 8-Channel DAC (ASIO driver).
3. In the past HDMI jitter was considered to be an issues for HiFi audio transport. Will the Oppo HDMI implementation compare well with an Asynchronous audio USB with isolation and reclocking?

4. Lastly, how easy would it be to bypass the i2s input to the DAC chip and feed an alternative clock/I2S interface?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, it only appear to be...;)

!. Yes, you can... 205 it have a dedicated DAC for multi-channel configuration (7+1), and you can fix as you like form the menu.
2. I haven`t yet tested 205 with Jriver, and not at all on multi-channel, as I do not have/use a such configuration. However, it should be possible that USB input may allow multi-channel as well. Maybe reading the device manual, you will get an answer to this question...
3. 205 it have a particular improved audio over HDMI, as a dedicated HDMI out for sound. You have here more details: https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=129
4. Will not be quite easy...

Well, it only appear to be...;)

!. Yes, you can... 205 it have a dedicated DAC for multi-channel configuration (7+1), and you can fix as you like form the menu.
2. I haven`t yet tested 205 with Jriver, and not at all on multi-channel, as I do not have/use a such configuration. However, it should be possible that USB input may allow multi-channel as well. Maybe reading the device manual, you will get an answer to this question...
3. 205 it have a particular improved audio over HDMI, as a dedicated HDMI out for sound. You have here more details: https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=129
4. Will not be quite easy...

Thanks Coris.

I had checked and the USB input only supports 2CH audio.

Well, you were fast... Maybe you should wait for some different opinions too, before an investing...
There is no any oscillator dedicated to the audio section in this model. The DAC needed clock frequencies are software controlled/generated, based on the clock of the main processor (27Mhz).
I made my decision when I find the 203 using AKM DAC. I guess it will sound better than the 205 if mod properly. Dont like the ESS tone, which has prevent me from buying an OPPO.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Indeed, AKM it sound particular (well), and I keep my appreciation that (properly improved its implementation) it sounds better than a stock 205.
However, I can not say (or I`m not decided yet) if it sounds better or less than a ESS chip, but it sounds good. I can compare AKM with ESS9018, as I have not yet heard a 9038Pro in a better/proper implementation, so to squeeze out the most of this also very good DAC chip.

Which LPM MOD is best?

Dear Members......

For these 3 Linear Power Module MOD's (for the Oppo UDP-203) there are no detailed spec's available(at least I can't find them).

Is it possible, just on sight, to predict which of the 3 would produce the "cleanest" power. Two seems to have more, and a some "smaller", components on them. The other one has a bigger transformer and seems to have less components.

If I would buy one..... which one should I choose....:confused:
(price is not the issue here, just which one would gives the cleanest power)

Regards,
Jack

Option 1: picture 1,2,3,4
Option 2: picture 5,6
Option 3: picture 7,8

Attachments

• Clonesaudio_0.jpg
    Clonesaudio_0.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Zerozone_1.jpg
    Zerozone_1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 160