ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
730user: where did you buy your Elna Silmic II caps? these are brown/white (RFS) or brown/gold (ROS) color caps like here, every other type is Chinese copy and trust me there is huge difference in sound ;) , nichicon are here, you can easily recognize it by size, I wouldn't buy these kind of components from other than known and reliable distributor, here how genuine Silmic II look like on this board

Last edited:
730user: where did you buy your Elna Silmic II caps? these are brown/white (RFS) or brown/gold (ROS) color caps like here, every other type is Chinese copy and trust me there is huge difference in sound ;) , nichicon are here, you can easily recognize it by size, I wouldn't buy these kind of components from other than known and reliable distributor, here how genuine Silmic II look like on this board

I get some of mine here they also do nichicon, mundorf and other audio-centric brands. I am currently trying to determine which caps to change, and which work best in each area.

I wish audiopnics doesn't charge 20 euro for transport :(

never buy these kind of components in china, 99% fake :( , it's not that expensive from hificollective, partsconexion, farnell or many others even if you add transport cost and majority of them ships worldwide ;) trust me, it's worth it...

Last edited:
I wish audiopnics doesn't charge 20 euro for transport :(

never buy these kind of components in china, 99% fake :( , it's not that expensive from hificollective, partsconexion, farnell or many others even if you add transport cost and majority of them ships worldwide ;) trust me, it's worth it...

With Audiophonics, I always wait until I have a big enough order to make it woth the transport cost. Even domestically it is at least 10 euro! There is a big problem with France's retail culture. They understand the cost of everything, but the value of nothing.

Quality disparity in products being made in different countries, often with differing ideas of quality control is a real problem. I would not be surprised if the Elnas were not in fact fakes, but so poorly made, that they may as well be fakes. All we can do, is to use caution. I prefer to buy from established suppliers who have more to lose if they become known for selling bad products, and whos customers are more likely to spot the difference.

Last edited:
that's why I bought them in France ;)

I went through several opamps but after try and fail I ended up with HDAM modules as discrete solution, there are of course several others similar modules like burson, dexa etc. but for incomparable price...

I will look at the HDAM modules. I was comparing specs of these distrete units; some of them (Burson, Audio-gd) need 50ma of available current to operate at their best. So maybe it is possible that other peripheral mods are required to get the maximum benefit of these devices.

if you got same 30Wx15V psu for analog circuit you should have enough current for pretty much any output stage ;)
and of course sound from HDAM module is just different level, more precise and dynamic

pinnocchio it's futile, it's futile...it's futile :)

Last edited:
1 more note to the HDAM modules if you decide to buy it, there are 4 transistors with unknown quality so you can change them to Toshiba 2SK170-BL or GR grade and 2SJ74 with same grade, unfortunately these ran out of production several years ago so either to find them from reliable source or replace them with LSK170 and LSJ74 from linear systems , available at i.e. https://www.micross.com/ecommerce/shop-default.aspx or directly from diyaudio store...
anyway it sounded better than any opamp I tried even untouched ;)

Last edited:
1 more note to the HDAM modules if you decide to buy it, there are 4 transistors with unknown quality so you can change them to Toshiba 2SK170-BL or GR grade and 2SJ74 with same grade, unfortunately these ran out of production several years ago so either to find them from reliable source or replace them with LSK170 and LSJ74 from linear systems , available at i.e. https://www.micross.com/ecommerce/shop-default.aspx or directly from diyaudio store...
anyway it sounded better than any opamp I tried even untouched ;)

Thanks for this Kukynas. I am just about to order a pair now, so this info is very welcome :) I have just found the GR grade transistors here but I will shop around, as they want £7 for a transistor :eek:

Is that an Asus case you are recycling? Good idea! I was thinking to find a vintage (1970s) HiFi case for mine (wood & alu), or perhaps make one similar.
+1 !
I'm building my 2xAK4399 DAC inside an old Luxman T14 digital tuner. It took me some courage to take out the fine Luxman electronics inside, but I finally did it. I'm going to use it's original LED display, indicator LEDs and switches on the front panel.

Currently I'm programming an Arduino micro controller, to control the DAC and display. User interface is already working fine, soon I'll connect the DAC and test the whole thing. Display is off when DAC is playing normally, to prevent any interference with analog circuit. In fact, the micro controller is in sleep mode most of the time and only wakes up on user input or change of the digital audio input signal. This requires hardware mod also, I'll keep you posted on that.

First picture is of the front panel PCB. 5 LED bar gradually goes to 5 LEDS on when DAC has locked on a valid sp/dif signal. 7 segment LED display shows sampling frequency.
Second picture is the backside of the PCB, with the new LED display driver.

Nice way of recycling uh?

Attachments

• PB260838_resize.JPG
    PB260838_resize.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 418
  • PB260842_resize.JPG
    PB260842_resize.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 411
  • PB050832_resize.JPG
    PB050832_resize.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
yes, they are expensive :( , fortunately you need just 2 of them (1 per module), remaining 6pcs (3 per module) are 2SK170, you have to buy same grade from both types as they have different ldss per grade...
Hi kukynas I like this hdam.
I gone for this mod :
A friend of mine read about it in burson site and try this mod with hdam.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At first I didn't sure if I like it much, but after 10 burn in hours i decide to go with this mod.
I do not understand the meaning of this change, but the Hdam sound now seems even better.
Ciao

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.