Peter van Willenswaard's DAC??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picture

OK heres a pic and description -
Kurt said:

Guido and Peter, demonstrated their home grown DA converters on CD, and the were both reproducing the best CD material, these ears, have heard. Especially Peters non oversampling/interpolated converter was BRILLIANT !

Attachments

• img_3363.jpg
    img_3363.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7,411
Re: Picture

mgreene said:
Kurt said:

Guido and Peter, demonstrated their home grown DA converters on CD, and the were both reproducing the best CD material, these ears, have heard. Especially Peters non oversampling/interpolated converter was BRILLIANT !

The PCB has the typical colour of an Audionote DAC. And I see some tubes....
Who is Peter van Willenswaard again?
;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Peter van Willenswaard has designed quite a few excellent sounding amps and preamps ( AT832 !!! ) in the past for Audio&Techniek magazine amongst others. He also wrote in some audiorelated magazines as a technical reviewer/journalist etc. Nowadays he has his own small audio-company in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Forgot the name, something with Audio***** or *****audio.

That DAC might be the best but I think it looks like @#$%.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Frank was very close, it's: Audiomagic

If you need the adress or telephonenumber please say so, Mike.

Peter, I just don't like the different coloured PCB's, the loose wiring and the small extra PCB's. It is a prototype or a mix of an existing DAC with several heavy modifications. You think it looks OK !?!? If he ran out of space he could have made/bought another bigger case.

Good sound is important but for me it has to be well built as well. ( not just from an esthetical point of view ).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mmm, you're right. Your DAC looks worse and against your high standard of esthetics. I am curious how it will look when it is finished. ( Please don't answer that it IS finished ... )

I sincerely hope that I am not invoking an audiocosmetics thread....

Blue LED anyone ?

wazzup said:
Personaly I think he`s a genius...

Isn`t the dac a heavy modified Hawk audio dac? www.audio.nl click on the mp dac, or is this Guido`s dac? Ok I`m lost.... :smash:

Hi,

It is not "my" DAC (compare the pics with our DAC site)

It is Peters' DAC. Based on a chassis of AN and the digital PCB (fully stripped with exception of PCM63 and input receiver ICs).

The rest is all Peters work. It is non oversampled and the best PCM DAC I ever heard (it might outperform ANDAC5 but it may be too early to judge on that).

Yes, it looks messy, but you forget about that the second you hear it.

regards

jean-paul said:
Good sound is important but for me it has to be well built as well. ( not just from an esthetical point of view ).

Ehm, I don’t think electrons, currents and voltages have any understanding of a tidy living place. And after all isn’t just that that little touch of magic :angel:

Most of my professional proto work has more resemblance with spider webs than a “Spic and Span” production PCB and it just work fine.

Just another Peter, :very big grinn: :xmasman:

Re: Picture

mgreene said:
Kurt said:

Look at the picture in the bottom right, it's the first DAC i see which has spare parts 'on board'.

GuidoB

Thanks, curious

Thanks Jean-Paul,

I was made curious by the fact that this piece got a rave on the Joelist but found no mention anywhere else. I had never heard of Peter and wondered what type of web presence he might have.

I will eventually need a DAC and this one would be very interesting if the schema etc were online.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.