Peter van Willenswaard's DAC??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentleman, IT'S MINE DAC, The NirWanaDAC made by Peter Van Willenswaard
and i am very proud, indead it is a brilliant DAC.

I have given Peter van Willenswaard the assingment to build the BEST DAC OF THE WORLD.
And he's succeed in his assingment.
The buildperiod was just about one year, i would not have it sooner, i want a one year builperiod
it must be the best DAC evermade, just for me.
And again it is mine DAC and i am very proud of it.
Peter van Willenswaard is an author who write's for the American magazine Stereofile and many
Amp's and preamps are made by him and are wellknow in the netherlands and in America.
Several years he worked for Audio-Note and Philips did also appeal to his knowledge.
Now he has his own company in Rotterdam called Audio-Magic.

The tubes,
2 rectifyer TungSol JTL6X4WA
3 ecc802s Mullard
1 Ob Cifty

http://site.zeelandnet.nl/sparoub/homepage1/start.htm

Congrats Fons.:cool:

Are you still using the Philips CD723 based transport ?

Then this might be interesting !
http://peufeu.free.fr/audio/extremist_dac/bit_accuracy/

According to the author Pierre-Frédéric (PeuFeu) these Philips players (CD713/23 and maybe even the CD753, Maranz CD4000 and up) do not ouput a bit for bit copy of the info on your cd's.
Even when adjusting the volume control to 0dB (yup, the volume control scales the SPDIF output signals).:cannotbe:

This is very disturbing, it also means the people using these players to connect to a non-oversampling DAC, in fact, do NOT have a non-oversampling DAC in such a configuration, since the source is already scaled down !:hot:

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Probably, but not necessarilly related to this particular DAC as such.

The answer to your post is not limited to this one anyway...

Generally spoken, deemphasis can be switched in and out.

Cheers, ;)

Eh oh as the teletubbies say.. I should have been more precise. I was actually referring to the DF1700 and digital filtering as a whole as opposed to just deemphasis, given that the AN DAC3 is used as a base for this dac. I was curious to know if it could be switched in and out of audio path on-the-fly so to speak thus enabling one to oversample or do without.

A number of reasons not least because one can. I once built one of these NOS dacs and found it varied with the music being played and at the time it would have been nice to be able switch between modes without the aid of a soldering iron. It is hardly a unique facility, the PMD100 demoboard had glitchless switching between the PMD100 and the DF1700 for the purposes of comparison.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In my earlier dddac I have done life switching between receivers and digital filters. You can still read about this on my Site.

Any way, it is a good feature when you are stil in development. I LOVE A-B switches (that is why there is standard one on the dddac1543 ;) )

I used switching between DF1704 and SM5842. Where the SM5842 was the clear winner. But the differences are not as big as you might think. If I change my 300B tubes on the amplifiers, the sonic differences are more significant.

I also had an A-B switch between 8412 and 8420-in-re-clocking-mode. The last on had exactly the same effect as now switching between pll and int clock in the dddac1543.

doede

doede,

no digital filter, it's the best.
in a digital filter there is a calculate and that is what you hear.

fons

Attachments

• pvwdac 014.jpg
    pvwdac 014.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 812
fons de boeck said:
doede,

no digital filter, it's the best.
in a digital filter there is a calculate and that is what you hear.

fons

Fons,

When going to non oversampling mode, also the jitter entering the DAC is greatly reduced.

I am still convinced that this also plays a role.

We verified Peters DAC with mine. In non oversampling his DAC is preferred, in oversampling mode mine is.

Still lots of areas to explore, now back to the soldering iron...

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.