Peter van Willenswaard's DAC??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cd723 spdif

--According to the author Pierre-Frédéric (PeuFeu) these Philips players (CD713/23 and maybe even the CD753, Maranz CD4000 and up) do not ouput a bit for bit copy of the info on your cd's.
Even when adjusting the volume control to 0dB (yup, the volume control scales the SPDIF output signals).

--This is very disturbing, it also means the people using these players to connect to a non-oversampling DAC, in fact, do NOT have a non-oversampling DAC in such a configuration, since the source is already scaled down !

I've had a look at some datasheets.I think you can solve the problem by changing the settings of the decoder.If it's set to 1xFs the 0.5dB attenuation will not be active.(The volumecontrol is implemented before both spdif-output and filtersection)

martijn

Re: cd723 spdif

martijn said:

--This is very disturbing, it also means the people using these players to connect to a non-oversampling DAC, in fact, do NOT have a non-oversampling DAC in such a configuration, since the source is already scaled down !

The scaling down has nothing to do with (non-)oversampling. It could obscure some detail and increase the distortion, but will not have the effects of a digital filter. (eg. overshoot)

Fedde

Re: Re: cd723 spdif

fedde said:

The scaling down has nothing to do with (non-)oversampling. It could obscure some detail and increase the distortion, but will not have the effects of a digital filter. (eg. overshoot)

Fedde

fedde
You are so right, PvW had the same answer...

fons

Attachments

• pvwdac 014.jpg
    pvwdac 014.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 823
To Fedde & Fons

Hi,

your missing the point,I assume.
Rudolf's posting made me aware of Peufeu's website where you can find some measurements.The way these decoders work in 4Fs mode is probably damn ugly.I've been spending the better part of last night reading up on the subject and without fully understanding all the complexities involved in properly implementing a digital volumecontrol, I dare to say that you would be smart to circumvent these stages alltogether.

Martijn

Martijn, I think you mix up two issues. One is the scaling problem, the other the 4fs oversampling in the decoder. The oversampling is only an issue if you want to use I2S. The S/P-DIF signal is not oversampled. By rewriting the controller eeprom, the oversampling can be disabled for I2S.

Fedde

Fedde,

not mixing up!
The moment you put this bloody chip into 4Fs it will scale down its spdif output!
At least that's what I understood reading the sheets.

Martijn.

BTW could not reach you about your 204 ,the email link on your website doesn't work somehow??

WTS said:
Hi; This all sounds very interesting OS vs Non OS. I have question, how do you seperate the L/R channel signals. Because this is normally done by the dig filter isn't it. Is there a schematic of one I could look at to see how this is done.
Thanks

If the interchannel delay is of no concern to you then this circuit should do. I say should as I haven't built it because the delay does bother me.
The LRCLK is delayed in order to align the MSB of the 16bit data with that of the 20bit input register of the PCM63 and LRCLK to one channel is inverted. Serial data is sent to both channels.
The circuit is intended to work with the YM3623 or mode 5 of the CS8412.

Attachments

• split1.gif
    split1.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 627
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.