Xmos and AK4399 in single board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking around on many different designs and finally decided to go with this.

Can make an update as soon as it's here. I just ordered it.

New Xmos AK4399 USB I2S 24bit 192K DAC Decorder Assembled Board by Weiliang | eBay

Edit: This seller speaks OK english and it was easy to have an conversation with him. Also answered e-mails fast! I got this finished in a box with a 50VA R-core transformer for a very good price.

Last edited:
I've been listening alot now and here is what i think:

This dac needs atleast 50h burn-in.

In original state it's very neutral and have a very good, tight bottom end. Bass is overall very good with this dac. Sometimes the top seems a bit closed in and the soundstage a bit "narrow" but just a little bit. The finest details is lost though. Overall excellent dac for the money. Much better then a modified Titanium HD or Essence Stx!! Can produce more front to back and being "there". Bass as said, impresses me. This in "standard" edition.

I've been playing around with different caps and also removing some bypass caps.

Pio K40Y-9, Muse KZs, Panasonic FMs, Ero KP1830 have been tried and i can say this. The red Wimas are not staying! Sounds dull and boring.. (FKP) compared to the blue Eros. Now suddenly there is details and huge soundstage.
Decoupling caps was changed to Muse Kz and although the sound became more "fun" to listen to, more coloured i guess (not focusing on something) then the Silmics.

But somewhere back in my head the Silmics seems more balanced and "hifi". Would like to test Cerafines in this position before letting it go.
The blue Philips/Vishay 036/116 caps were changed to Pannas Fms and the sound became more open (alot more...) but sometimes maybe to much? Very clear and with lot of details.

In other applications the K40s have been giving me a "tube" mid but here i couldn't hear much difference to the wima fkps. Actually they sounded maybe even better here but in my old Titanium HD they performed flawlessly with "midrange-to-die-for" if you know what i mean.

The Red wima FKS were removed near the opamps for the silmics. More coherent. Other places i have not tried to remove bypasses.

Op amps have been tried too and i really like the OPA228 here. Outstanding for little money. The LME 49710 had less detail and midrange openess. I have before testing alot of dual op amps and also there were 2228 no:1. Must admit I have not tried AD797 or 627 yet =)

Next to try is to replace the four Panna "X-pro" caps that i found out is very old stock to new Rubycon ZHL's.

Ok thats all for now.

Last edited:
Hi,

From Martin's review and my requirements, I have placed an order for 1 unit of this board, hope it doesn't disappoint. I do have a few DACs I can compare with,
1. WM 8741 with CM6631 via digital coaxial
and
2. AK4393 and Xmos via I2S

all these DACs are std configuration without extensive mod., I use tube buffer attached to the DAC output. I will be using this new DAC(AK4399 and Xmos) with tube buffer and CDrom build into a single box.

I wouldn't go with a tube buffer with this one i think. This dac sounds very analogue already.

Remember some mods to do right away if you want it top class.

1. Op amps to opa228
2. Remove bypass on opamps: more coherent. (Or change to ero 1837)
3. If you can replace bypasses to ero mkp1837.
Remember burn-in: maybe 50-100h atleast... And if you want a cleaner, brighter sound , Cerafine on output. I have now filmcaps and that is the best - but bulky.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 795
I wouldn't go with a tube buffer with this one i think. This dac sounds very analogue already.

Remember some mods to do right away if you want it top class.

1. Op amps to opa228
2. Remove bypass on opamps: more coherent. (Or change to ero 1837)
3. If you can replace bypasses to ero mkp1837.
Remember burn-in: maybe 50-100h atleast... And if you want a cleaner, brighter sound , Cerafine on output. I have now filmcaps and that is the best - but bulky.

Thanks for the suggestions, my "hypothesis"(*) is that without extensive mods as suggested by you and I put a tube buffer in front of the DAC, the sound reproduction would be similar to your mods without the tube buffer.

* I put a tube buffer in front of my unmodded AK4393 and WM8741,using standard opamp(yet to experiment with other op-amps), both sounded more analog.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.