Xmos and AK4399 in single board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please I need drivers for this kit, Plise Upload Here [ File Share - Share your files! ]

Thank you.

Hi all
I have just received the board, fully assembled, for 136 USD inc shipping.
It looks ok as far as component choice and placement.
I will play around with it in the coming weeks and see how good it is.
Cheers, Yair

Please I need drivers for this kit, I can send it by email. or upload File Share - Share your files! . Thank you.

I wouldn't go with a tube buffer with this one i think. This dac sounds very analogue already.

Remember some mods to do right away if you want it top class.

1. Op amps to opa228
2. Remove bypass on opamps: more coherent. (Or change to ero 1837)
3. If you can replace bypasses to ero mkp1837.
Remember burn-in: maybe 50-100h atleast... And if you want a cleaner, brighter sound , Cerafine on output. I have now filmcaps and that is the best - but bulky.

What the heck? You just ruined the signal path with all those long inductive leads and a cap resting on a heatsink :rolleyes:

What the heck? You just ruined the signal path with all those long inductive leads and a cap resting on a heatsink :rolleyes:

What tha heck? What resting on a heatsink? Should i take one more pic so you see that is 5mm between sink and cap?

I'm tired of people here just talking without even trying cos it says something in some book or "i have to fallow the gang or else i'm left out" hype

If you don't like what i like don't bother to comment. I only can say it's best dac me and my friends heard even though inductive leads, destroying signal or whatever

You don't even care to ask more in detail, just bomb away with criticism right away..
Where is this world going?

No i'm tired... Over n out

Last edited:
I can agree with signal is little low. But bass is really deep, tight and powerful. If Asus have "more" I wonder if it's not more "wet"... :p

Do one more comparison when it's burned in 50-100h (or more) :D

And try OPA1611 or OPA228 as op amp. 228 if you want little brighter sound, 1611 little warmer but more musical with wider soundstage.

/Johan

edit: Saw you have LME49990 in yours.. I'm not sure how good/bad that is compared to LME49710 that mine came with.

Last edited:
Unit arrived

Hi,

My Unit just arrived today, after 1 month in the post that's too long.

I will put this unit in a case together with the following:

1. Transformers
2. DVDRom, slot-in version
3. Tube Buffer with Volume control

input:2* USB
output: L & R RCA to power amp.

I have most parts and it will take about a couple of weeks including testing. Will report back plus few images. Stay tuned.

Follow-up DIY DAC and Preamp with CDrom

Hi,

My Unit just arrived today, after 1 month in the post that's too long.

I will put this unit in a case together with the following:

1. Transformers
2. DVDRom, slot-in version
3. Tube Buffer with Volume control

input:2* USB
output: L & R RCA to power amp.

I have most parts and it will take about a couple of weeks including testing. Will report back plus few images. Stay tuned.

Find attached are images of my implementation of the DAC AK4399 and Xmos in one board.

Note the following from 1st image:

1. top left, is the DAC
2. top right, tube buffer based on cathode follower with current source powered from 12VAC
3. bot. left, transformer for DAC
4. bot. right, transformer for Tube buffer and CDrom.

Total cost about US$200-$220, not including casing woodwork and labor. A worthwhile project.

This unit works with my front end(laptop) via USB and will also drive my power amp.
Initial assessment the sound seems promising fairly similar to the my AK4396 and Xmos(from DIYHK) combo from another project. BTW the DIYHK's Xmos driver cannot be used in Weiliang Xmos.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    986.1 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 504
I replaced almost all elcos around 10-220uf with filmcaps around opamps, regulators and 2 weeks ago i finally added a potted Farnell/multicomp 2x9v /30Va for digital and whole it didn't offer so much improvement as filmcaps i got a harshfree , lively upper octave. It was worth the 30e i spent atleast!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.