Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WM8741 is the other high-end chip that I would use. the 2 sound similar (to me) and test similar, too. they are both best-of-breed chips from the 2 vendors.

sorry may I OOT, but in your experience what is the most important parameters from the one of the chip DAC is that about THD+N or S/N ? which one more important from DAC spec, I know spec is not everything.

speaking about matching component which one more easier to tune up ? I mean doesn't require a lot expensive component, or which one more component less :D because you were said about buget too. I am on budget person

honestly, dacs are so good these days, I can't easily tell them apart if they are at least 'competant' in design.

the procedure is simple: pick the top end chip from any manufacturer you prefer, get a good pcb layout (usually NOT ebay, sorry...) and that will be that.

the very very good designs are expensive, but the middle grade board layouts and such are usable and good enough for most critical listening situations.

this isn't like 20 years ago. almost any good chip is fine enough and much better than the SOURCE material that the 'pros' send us (full of noise, distortion, compression, eq-ing, etc). the mastering is far worse than most of the good dac chips, so its just not a big deal anymore for consumer audio. someday, the music quality may catch up, but in my experience a good home system is still more resolving than the material we are often playing ;)

I have to recommend against dac7.

I bought 2 (3, but never assembled one of them). one was pre-built and one was a unit I built by using all mouser/digikey parts and using just his board.

I had a friend do some RMAA testing and - well - lets just say this unit has some fundamental design issues and I'll leave it at that ;(

don't waste your money on dac7.

have you done an RMAA or another analysis of it?

I have halted debugging this (basically gave up since I got the dac9) but for some STRANGE reason, the pre-built version was actually a bit better than the one I built; yet the one I built had known good geniuine parts in it (like I said, all from trusted places like mouser). there was some parts value changes from the schematic (not even sure I had a current version, but lets 'not go there' on that issue, sigh) and so I could not tell what was intended. the power supply ran ULTRA hot and I could not see a valid reason for the psu design he chose. there was also a servo op-amp and maybe that was misbehaving. it could have been the dual mono design not being done right. I just was hearing some strange sounds as certain frequencies were hit (if a singer was going up the scales or something like that). it took me a few weeks (or more) to notice the strange sound, since it gets masked by material unless you start to notice it and look for it. if I can find the rmaa tests my friend did, I'll post them, but they showed some very strange behavior and like I said, there was bad behavior (although slightly different) on the pre-built board as well as the self-built one.

could have been any number of things. pcb quality, parts quality, changed values, routing/layout. the lack of sufficient documentation makes troubleshooting these designs nearly impossible.

Do you want to sell all 3? Or I'll make you a deal and mod one and ship it back for free, if you pay for the transformers.
The regulator runs warm because it is a shunt. I can hold my finger on all the heat sinks.
The noise comes from the op amps being biased to hard into class A.

PM me ;)

I have one full kit (parts not even opened and pcb not touched), and one that I built. I can definitely let those 2 go. the 3rd one is already claimed by someone who wants to hack on it locally.

its probably not cost effective to ship the r-core trafos, but the board and parts are easy enough. if I can find them, I could also include the mouser parts (also still new) in case you wanted them.

but I have no interest in getting them back since I don't need them anymore. I run a pair of dacs (for spdif-based active crossovers) and so I need 2 clean working dacs; and for that, I bought a pair of ak4399 dacs, the dac9).

yes, I know its a shunt regulator but I don't see why that design decision was chosen. if weilling wants to speak up, that would be great, but so far, he seems pretty closed about keeping info to himself, which, to be honest, is not the level of sharing I prefer...

Please elaborate on the design flaws. (Output stage?)

After replacing some capacitors and using a transformer output I have yet to discover a better sounding DAC.

Don't forget the price.......$100. Or so.

Feel free to PM me, I'd really like to learn more about the DAC7.

did you mean that you use transformer output for WM8741 or AK4399 ?

if you don't mind could tell what the transformer out that use ? I found a lot good feedback from people use output transformer even it not cost effective (maybe).

yes, I know its a shunt regulator but I don't see why that design decision was chosen. if weilling wants to speak up, that would be great, but so far, he seems pretty closed about keeping info to himself, which, to be honest, is not the level of sharing I prefer...

I found weilang ever posted in earlier discussion before, but not sure it's his true id or not. let's wait feedback from weilang for debugging his circuit and design, if there his design I pretty sure he mastered about his design. and I think with his comment and discussion here can improved his quality and sales too :D

I'd like to have support from mr. W but I get the impression he is not really interested. he does not share his schematics (easily), he depends on his sellers to relay that to us buyers (and when I tried, I got the WRONG version and the seller said he had nothing other than that; which was quite worthless to be honest) and the layout is just very, well, 'unrefined'. the power supply regulators are far away from the chips and the bypasses are too far away, just to name 2 obvious observations on the board layout.

so, what I'm saying is that its a working config but its clearly not an optimal layout. to be fair, I don't expect expert layouts from ebay style boards and I knew it was a budget board when I was buying it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.