A high-end digital amplifier for everyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brett said:

I'm also interested in seeing how this develops, and think that properly implemented digital amps may be the technology that usurps my interest in tube amps.

I also agree with JoeBob, that unless the PCB and FPGA were supplied (at reasonable cost) then interest from DIYers will be very limited. Most do not have the technical knowledge or equiptment to fault find or optimise a design this complex even if they do have the enthusiasm and interest (in spades). Previously, I looked at the Tripath gear but lost interest as the RF management was too difficult for me to deal with, not having my lab any more.

However, should you want a beta tester, I'll volunteer.
The beauty of stereo shopping is that almost everyone claims to be an expert. Your friend Bob. The salesman who majored in business. The enthusiastic writers at audio magazines. In reality, most of the experts on audio are dead. Yes, dead. Bell Labs funded a lot of interesting work on psychoacoustics back in the 1920s but all of these projects ground to a halt in the 1950s. Audio reproduction wasn't interesting anymore. It was a solved problem.
If it is built in Japan, audio equipment is designed by engineers who couldn't get jobs designing video equipment. If it is built in the US, audio equipment is designed by engineers who couldn't get jobs designing high frequency electronics or computers. There are a few exceptions to these rules, but they are generally true. MIT, for example, offers no classes on high fidelity audio equipment design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.