CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good ? - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2013, 12:02 PM   #211
wklie is offline wklie  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default CM6631A Firmware 0101, 0108, CM6631 Firmware 2203

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage that occurs as a result of using these files or these instructions.

CM6631A Firmware 0101 VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0319:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_6Y...it?usp=sharing

CM6631A Firmware 0108 VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0314:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_6Y...it?usp=sharing

To be used with the flash update tool found in the CM6631 Firmware 2203 package VID 0x0D8C PID 0x0309 on Windows XP _ONLY_:
http://www.nutsaudio.com/driver/CM6631_Firmware.zip

Instructions:
- A Windows XP PC is needed (XP compatibility mode on newer Windows does not work - do not try it)
- Connect the CM6631(A) unit to a USB 2.0 port at the back of the PC, do not use the front ports even if available
- Run the flash update tool
- Erase firmware
- Unplug the CM6631(A) unit then reconnect it again
- Update using a new firmware hex file
- If a File Format Error or a Flash Error is shown, reconnect the unit again and flash it again

Last edited by wklie; 26th February 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 26th February 2013, 02:22 PM   #212
diyAudio Member

good job and great explanation!
thx in the name of everyone who might need this info now or in the future

the only question that remains to ask is wether that combination of firmware+driver outputs also I2S beside SPDIF?
I mean do they work simultaneously? because I remember was not quite like that in case of the plain CM6631 where you could choose SPDIF or I2S, although KlipschKid reported not long ago that he managed to activate both SPDIF and I2S together but he never specified in what configuration and what combination of firmware+driver

Last edited by luxury54; 26th February 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 27th February 2013, 08:46 AM   #213
tdtsai is offline tdtsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi Luxury54:
It's depend on what firmware you use. If you PID 0319 or PID 0309 firmware the IIS and SPDIF Out work simultaneously. If you use PID 0314 fimrware, IIS and SPDIF Out is report as different device. So you use use it separate output different content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury54 View Post
good job and great explanation!
thx in the name of everyone who might need this info now or in the future

the only question that remains to ask is wether that combination of firmware+driver outputs also I2S beside SPDIF?
I mean do they work simultaneously? because I remember was not quite like that in case of the plain CM6631 where you could choose SPDIF or I2S, although KlipschKid reported not long ago that he managed to activate both SPDIF and I2S together but he never specified in what configuration and what combination of firmware+driver
Old 27th February 2013, 02:15 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Hello all.

My CM6631A + WM8740 "DAC sandwich" is complete. Check it out! Fantastic $40 WM8740-based board
Old 28th February 2013, 07:29 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Thanks wklie for the CM6631A firmware downloads!

Tried the 101 firmware and my MacBooks still do not see the USB-to-SPDIF device as USB2 HD Audio with anything more than 44/48kHz capability.

Wondering - can anyone confirm if they have a CM6631A working on a Mac with all the sampling rates to 192kHz?
Old 28th February 2013, 09:11 AM   #216
wklie is offline wklie  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
Tried the 101 firmware and my MacBooks still do not see the USB-to-SPDIF device as USB2 HD Audio with anything more than 44/48kHz capability.
While most of the descriptions about CM6631(A) support for Mac indicate that no driver is necessary, there exists a Mac driver for CM6631 :
USBridge Drivers and Manual

It probably does not work for you, but perhaps you may examine it and find out what it is. (In addition, Onkyo also offer its own Mac driver for its CM6631 products.)
Old 28th February 2013, 03:28 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post
While most of the descriptions about CM6631(A) support for Mac indicate that no driver is necessary, there exists a Mac driver for CM6631 :
USBridge Drivers and Manual

It probably does not work for you, but perhaps you may examine it and find out what it is. (In addition, Onkyo also offer its own Mac driver for its CM6631 products.)
Thanks for the link.

I tried the mhdt this AM. Installed fine. But still no higher sampling rates

Of note, I see that the 101 firmware adds 32-bit integer output to the audio panel - not that this makes a difference...
Old 28th February 2013, 06:49 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
Thanks for the link.

I tried the mhdt this AM. Installed fine. But still no higher sampling rates

Of note, I see that the 101 firmware adds 32-bit integer output to the audio panel - not that this makes a difference...
Hi!! I use this box with a mac too and didn't get any higher rates than 48KHz in the beginning too, but then asked the eBay seller and realised that it needs external power for higher rates and better sound quality. For me, 12V DC works well and I think that is the recommended. The DC IN on the box is adaptive, so any polarity will work!!! Hope that helps!
Old 28th February 2013, 07:21 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzz View Post
Hi!! I use this box with a mac too and didn't get any higher rates than 48KHz in the beginning too, but then asked the eBay seller and realised that it needs external power for higher rates and better sound quality. For me, 12V DC works well and I think that is the recommended. The DC IN on the box is adaptive, so any polarity will work!!! Hope that helps!
That must be a specific limitation of that particular implementation of the CM6631A, because the board I have goes all the way to 192 on USB power. In fact, the board I have does not have the option to connect external power.
Old 28th February 2013, 07:59 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
That must be a specific limitation of that particular implementation of the CM6631A, because the board I have goes all the way to 192 on USB power. In fact, the board I have does not have the option to connect external power.
I guess that depends on how many amps your USB is able to supply on 5V and what specific board you have with a specific firmware on it)

Hide this!Advertise here!