dac I/V convertion with very low distortion - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 03:51 PM   #51
diyAudio Member
 
Joachim Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I like that version even better. Now you return the base currents of the input stage too and it is very low noise. Noise may come in from the CCSs. the reason is that R3 and R4 are rather low. In my experience they should be at least 100 Ohm. That will provide that the noise of the CCS transistor is not amplified. Output impedance of the CCS will also be higher in proportion of that resistor. One way is to insert a green Led in the emitters of Q11 and Q12. That will make the voltage over R3, R4 aound 2.7V, the optimum value after Tietze-Schenk. For 50mA we end up with a bit over 50 Ohm for R3, R4. Not 100 Ohm but an improvement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 03:58 PM   #52
diyAudio Member
 
Joachim Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
My comment was for version post 49. So where will you put that 1 Ohm resistor of version post 50 ? From the DAC output to the negative input of the opamp ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 04:31 PM   #53
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
smms73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
My comment was for version post 49. So where will you put that 1 Ohm resistor of version post 50 ? From the DAC output to the negative input of the opamp ?
Yes.

Last edited by smms73; 8th August 2012 at 04:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 04:46 PM   #54
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
smms73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I like that version even better. Now you return the base currents of the input stage too and it is very low noise. Noise may come in from the CCSs. the reason is that R3 and R4 are rather low. In my experience they should be at least 100 Ohm. That will provide that the noise of the CCS transistor is not amplified. Output impedance of the CCS will also be higher in proportion of that resistor. One way is to insert a green Led in the emitters of Q11 and Q12. That will make the voltage over R3, R4 aound 2.7V, the optimum value after Tietze-Schenk. For 50mA we end up with a bit over 50 Ohm for R3, R4. Not 100 Ohm but an improvement.
i agree with you, a low noise voltage reference can also be used instead of the led (lower serie resistance) .

the input offset trimming will be made in the base of q2, q5.

Last edited by smms73; 8th August 2012 at 04:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 04:56 PM   #55
diyAudio Member
 
Joachim Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Very good that we agree on that too. I certainly will try an MC phono input with that topology.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 05:11 PM   #56
smms73 is offline smms73  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
smms73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post

The DACs that you like have DC current on their output pins which will upset the balance of your circuit. The PCM1794a for example puts out -6.2mA of DC current. Something has to be done about that as well.
do you know why?
Yesterday i was think about this, and i have a theory . They do this for biasing the ne5534 in class a, in this way they decrease the thd of the circuit, so changig this amp op with another type can increase distortion.

what you guys think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 06:59 PM   #57
diyAudio Member
 
Joachim Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
That may well be but are they this clever ? There are of cause other ways to bias an Opamp into Class A.
I use deliberate offset sometimes too. At some point in the chain the offset has to be removed though, be it a good quality cap, trimming or servo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 09:21 PM   #58
diyAudio Member
 
dirkwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smms73 View Post
do you know why?
Yesterday i was think about this, and i have a theory . They do this for biasing the ne5534 in class a, in this way they decrease the thd of the circuit, so changig this amp op with another type can increase distortion.

what you guys think?
No, I don't have a clue why they do that, and I doubt it is for the reason you suggest. All I know is that it will seriously upset this kind of circuit, since I have sim'd it myself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 09:52 PM   #59
diyAudio Member
 
Joachim Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
In post 54 smms73 already suggested a method to trim the offset.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 09:56 PM   #60
diyAudio Member
 
Joachim Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I know another way to trim the offset by wrapping feedback around the input stage.
That problem pops up in transimpedance MC phono stages too but the other way around by inserting a DC offset into the cartridge. The circuit i developed can solve both problems.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ultra low noise low distortion preamplifier needed neazoi Solid State 13 11th October 2011 01:03 PM
IRF610 I/V convertion from Pass Labs D1 dac - single ended schiller Digital Line Level 5 15th October 2009 04:33 PM
Distortion+low volume.. GeirW Tubes / Valves 5 25th November 2004 12:04 PM
Best low-noise low-distortion buffer? borges Solid State 7 9th December 2003 12:40 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2