Using the new 2012 Shigaclone to create a killer high end transport

If it was in prototype and not in realeased version, I am to assume you did not think it added anything to the sound to have seperates?

In fact it adds, but I had to jump from a 3400euro (Vienna-Acoustics) speaker set, to a 9000euro (Triangle Magellan) to get the difference.

So far the biggest Shiga improvements I found are:
- Tentlabs clock
- separate power supply for Tentlabs clock
- changing S/PDIF output resistors to Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z-FOIL
- replacing L7808 reg with LT1086-adj. Please add a 47uF tantalum over R50
- add C11 - 1nF silver-mica

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Tibi, you know we all have the greatest respect for what you've done :worship: , but in the items you've listed which have improved the Shoga, can you describe "how" it has improved in terms of its sound qualities, soundtsgaing, articulation, smoothness etc?

I'm worried that at some point this thing is going to get so good that improvements may become subjective.

Tibi, you know we all have the greatest respect for what you've done :worship: , but in the items you've listed which have improved the Shoga, can you describe "how" it has improved in terms of its sound qualities, soundtsgaing, articulation, smoothness etc?

I'm worried that at some point this thing is going to get so good that improvements may become subjective.

I said once and I repeat, I´m not the man to comment my own design/product. Sorry, I´m not a marketing man.

Beside this, all improvements are highly related to the system each of us is using and of course, personal taste.

What I can tell you is that I´m usualy looking for better instruments separation, body and clarity, while keeping musicality. I´m also paying very close attention to attack and decay.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Start to reform the capacitor by using a 100K resistor at half of his nominal rated voltage and measure the potential across. The voltage should decrease slowly till 0V or near 0V. If you measure any potential across resistor this is caused by the leakage current. As the cap is reforming the potential is going to -> 0V.
After a while (few hours) you´ll see no more decrease in potential across resistor. Discharge capacitor trough a 10K resistor, let him one hour and discharge again.
Now is time to reform at nominal voltage. Use a 10K resistor this time. The process will be faster. Measure potential across 10K resistor and if possible monitor with a data collector multimeter.

The cap forming started last night at 8 PM. I was happy to see that it did not explode when I walked away. Voltage across the 100 KOhm resistor went down as expected. It went down to less than ~200 mV within 1 hour. As of this morning it was down to 11 mV. Wondering how far to push it before I say the first phase is done.

Tony,

I didn´t say that BG are not good in this regard. I just only wanted to highlight what specs are relevant and you should look for in case of upgrade.

C62 don´t need to be so fancy. MKP was a handy and pricewise solution. A better cap in that position may by a PIO, same value, but substantially bigger in size.
Also a 100nF/400V PIO in primary side of the trafo can have a great effect. Just try and you´ll be surprised. :)

C66 can be any value between 1nF - 22nF and I know only few manufacturers - one is Cornell Dubilier.

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi, with regard to C66, on the schematic you have it listed as a NPO. Is a silver mica better in this position than the NPO?