TDA1543 from dddac.de/ma_dac21.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bsyyu said:
Hi

I am looking for a project with TDA1543.
A new project from Doede Douma, it seems good.
Looking foward any comments on this
Thanks

Ben

:bigeyes:

Hi Ben ! and others of course ,

I'v completed Doede's 1543 NONO-dac last weekend .
It's been a real pain in the *** to create adequate cooling for this amount of paralleled 1543's , especialy at the rated voltage and bias requirements ... but it's worth a full 100 percent !

I build the initial testcase PCB inside my Marantz CD63 player . took the I2S format straight from the SAA7345 decoder pinning , so shortest path I guess .
Also build a separate power supply inside the Marantz case , one section with 7805 regulator to feed the cooling fan , second section to feed the 1543 Tower ( 8 pieces in my case too ! )

Of course I will turn over to battery feed in time .

Let me be clear : This Dac completely smokes all digital predecessors I'v build before ...
The soundstage increases with LOT of space , dynamics .. wow .
Voices become so realistic .. everything play's within my livingroom right now .

Please don't hesitate , build it and see how pleasant live can get .

Yours,
Paul

Re: Photos

deandob said:
Paul,

Do you have photos of your CD63 mod, especially the I2S tap and the cooling fan arrangement?

Regards,
Dean

:)

Hi Dean , attached URL's will show you the I2S format connection and the voltage regulator from where you can pick up the 5 volt to feed the cooling fan .
In this case you don't need to unscrew the CD63 Main PCB board , easy enough !!
I use a 12 volt / 100mA cooling fan , about 2 square inch ..... at 5 volt it provides adequate cooling performance .

Have fun , let me know if you need more information .

Yours,
Paul

http://members.lycos.nl/gloeidraad/hpbimg/ASIP0000001.jpg
http://members.lycos.nl/gloeidraad/hpbimg/ASIP0000002.jpg

Attachments

• asip0000001.jpg
    asip0000001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,456
NONO dac build in Marantz CD72MKII

Hi Guys !

Today I also completed my CD72MKII NONOmods .. superb sound too !!
even a fraction better then with my CD63 player . better transport = better sound !

Note that you need best available coupling capacitors !! perhaps a matter of taste ... well the Mundorf Caps I'v used are perfect .. also Audyn-cap KP-SN are good IMO .

Yours,
Paul

Attachments

• asi22.jpg
    asi22.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,335
Top:
Adjusted Rref with scope so output signal is just in the middle of the upper and lower clipping point

Bottom:
Adjusted Rref with FFT analyzer so 2 kHz harmonic is lowest.
Note the increase of 3 kHz harmonic and how the higher harmonic change.

Indeed as Doede observed, there is a small window where 2 kHz contents drops very steep. But you also change the spectrum.

Just for your info.

Attachments

• tda1543_fft1a.gif
    tda1543_fft1a.gif
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,293
:bawling:

Hi Rudolf , I agree .. but lot's of people out there ( including myself ) do not own such equipment .

Fortunatly there's hope for people with good ( Happy ) Ears too .
It's amazing how sensitive our ears are to harmonics ... especialy uneven sorts .. :)

In my situation it's quite easy to adjust Rref. I use a trimmer so can gow all the way in bias therms .

Yours,
Happy Ears

PS: Great to see so many Dutchies busy on this forum !

Thanks for the photos Paul. Did you change the clock on the CD63 as it looks like you did not reclock the I2S coming into the DAC?

Can anyone recommend a software FFT program (free preferably) that can be used with a soundcard (like the various software CRO applications available on the net)?

Regards,
Dean

Reclock

Hi Dean , no ........ not yet .
I ordered a low jitter XO few days ago ... need to wait for it to arrive ...
I'm sure this will have great sonic benefits too .

Installing the XO can be done within minutes .. Doede arranged space to add a reclock-circuit on the PCB . smart *** ;-)

Dean , are you also planning to rebuild a CD63 ? or are you just interested in this stuf ? curious .

Yours,
Paul

Yes, I have a CD63 that is asking to be modded. I am actually planning on building a no holds barred TDA1541 nonos DAC but also have some TDA1543 chips floating around and as it is really easy to do a TDA1543 DAC I'm looking to mod the CD63 by splicing into the I2S lines like you did to retrofit the TDA1543, but also to change the clock to a low jitter variety.

I think you will need to use your XO clock to swapout the clock in the CD63, not use it like Doede had intended (with a SPDIF receiver) to reclock. I'm not convinced reclocking is the way to go as you have 2 clocks at slightly different frequencies & phases which could cause samples to be lost. With retrofitting to a CD player, it is simple to fix the clock by using a low jitter one. A separate DAC is a different story.

Have a look at the TNT-audio site, there are a few tips to further tweak the CD63.

Regards,
Dean

I think you will need to use your XO clock to swapout the clock in the CD63, not use it like Doede had intended (with a SPDIF receiver) to reclock.

Hi Dean ,
I meant to swap the original system clock !!
I was thinking about using Doede's PCB just for two reasons :
:D plenty of unused space left on the PCB .. and secondly , I'm prepairing an outboard 12 volt batterie/charger supply .. I dearly want to use this clean and quite supply for my XO too .

I'm only concerning a little about "how to connect" the XO output from Doede's PCB to clock location on CD63 ( or CD72 ) PCB .
I'm not sure if ( even a short ) shielded cable could cause problems ????????? probably not . but prefer to keep it as short as possible in any case ( I believe I need about 3 inches of lenght ) .

Any suggestions out there ??

Yours,
Paul

PS: Realy curious about your results too Dean , I was shocked after the Mods !! became a real NONObeliever .. hahaha .

1541 or 1543

deandob said:
Yes, I have a CD63 that is asking to be modded. I am actually planning on building a no holds barred TDA1541 nonos DAC but also have some TDA1543 chips floating around and as it is really easy to do a TDA1543 DAC I'm looking to mod the CD63 by splicing into the I2S lines like you did to retrofit the TDA1543, but also to change the clock to a low jitter variety.

:scratch: Dean , I have a paralled ( 2pcs ) 1541A board almost ready for action ! so in time I can give it a try .. and compare with my 1543 Tower .
Only tiny problem with 1541 Dac is a small output signal , so I need to add a gainstage after the I/V ... nice triode stage perhaps .

Yours ,
Paul

I2S stream buffering

Hello Micke .

not yet measured anything ..
I just have a working set-up configuration at the moment .. it works .. and quite good too .
I realise there are more issues .. for example "as you mentioned " the I2S stream quality . I was thinking about that too !

Are you suggesting to use I2S buffering between transmitter and receiver ? I'v seen many circuits using external RAM for this purpose .. any suggestions at this point ?

Happy Ears

---------------------------------------------------------
A WOMEN A DAY , KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY
---------------------------------------------------------

Hex Inverter

I will pay attention to this issue later .. so far I hear much better audible performance by adding 1543's .. so all seems oke in therms of current capabillity of the SAA decoder .
About nicely flat squarewaves >> indeed disirable too .. I will keep your input in mind my friendly Scandinavian buddy !
I will try to arrange scope measurments in the near future .

Happy Ears .

------------------
No milk today
------------------

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.