Philips CD931: good or not? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2003, 06:11 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Phillips CD

Quote:
Originally posted by zygibajt
Elso and others!
.But I see Phillips 930/931 and 950/951 almost every week.Is is any good for mods (I mean really ,extremely good).

Bartek
If you find one in near-mint conditions (for a fair price) just let me know, I will probably be interested.. the only problem would be ho to send you the money.. last time I bought something from Poland (pcbs from xsnailx) bank expenses nearly killed me!

A Paypal account is highly suggested...

Cheers

Andrea
Old 26th September 2003, 06:33 PM   #22
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Phillips CD

Quote:
Originally posted by Andypairo

If you find one in near-mint conditions (for a fair price) just let me know, I will probably be interested.. the only problem would be ho to send you the money.. last time I bought something from Poland (pcbs from xsnailx) bank expenses nearly killed me!

A Paypal account is highly suggested...

Cheers

Andrea

Andrea,

Since january 2002, bank transfers cost much less inside the euro zone
I paid 3 for a transfer to germany
Old 26th September 2003, 06:41 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I know but this doesn't apply to all countries and to all banks within the EU. This is what I experienced, they always find a trick to pi** you off.

Cheers

Andrea
Old 26th September 2003, 07:39 PM   #24
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andypairo
I know but this doesn't apply to all countries and to all banks within the EU. This is what I experienced, they always find a trick to pi** you off.

Cheers

Andrea
I think that what I said before is true, inside the euro zone.
AFAIK, pollant isn't in it
Old 26th September 2003, 08:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I see them (930/931 950/951) quite often.If it's working it usually cost about 70-80 Euro.But more often there are available with dead laser lens (for some 15-25 Euro).Once I even bought one 950 but I had to pay almost 100Euro for a new laser and I gave up and sold it as broken.

But the question is (Jean-Paul please answer if you can): are they really worth the effort modifying them.I would probably go for some with TDA 1541 chip.

Also Jean Paul could you please tell me what would be the killer old Phillips/Marantz Cd Player to modify?
I know Elso says that they are too old and I won't get the laser when it dies,but this is not a big deal for me becouse I can buy some old Phillips with working CDM 1 or CDM4 drive almost any time I want for some little money (especialy one model that I see very often,I dont remember the number but It was suppose to be the first CD player Phillips released,and they always work).
So if You (Jean - Paul) could name a few old ,killer to modify cd-s that would be nice.
Bartek
Old 12th October 2003, 08:00 PM   #26
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool Re: I2S Direct

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak

Please note I use the player only as a transport or source of I2S signals.

Hi,
Hhere is the schematic I am currently using.
Three 50 Ohm coax cables are used between the CD-player and the DAC. Connectors should be 50 Ohm too. 0.1 F Bypass caps on the logic IC and on all the transistors are not shown for clarity as well as ground and supply connection on the 74HC125.
The 51 Ohm resistors double as emittorresistors for the transistors as well as proper termination of the coax cable.
Scope shows clean waveforms for all three signals which can not be said for direct logic drive of simple unshielded leads.
Attached Images
File Type: gif i2s-direct-sm.gif (22.2 KB, 3018 views)
Old 13th October 2003, 03:43 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Great!

In the meanwhile I just acquired a 931 (almost new) for me and a 930 for my brother.... I think I'll try the mod as soon as I get it...

Cheers

Andrea
Old 13th October 2003, 04:39 PM   #28
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool I2S Direct

Hi Andrea,
Great you got these players!
Of course 75 Ohm coax cables can also be used. In this case use 75 Ohm connectors and chassis parts like BNC-75 Ohm or F-type connectors and use 75 Ohm resistors.
I was planning to use the Lemo Camac sytem with the 50 Ohm cables Mark Levinson was using in the eighties. It are nice thin cables that be easily bundled to one, and I have a large bunch of them. Still waiting for the parts!
[Lemo series 00 (NIM-CAMAC) can be used with RG58C/U, RG174 A/U, RG178 B/U. I guess the Levinson cable is the RG174.]
The signals WS, BCLK and DATA are best taken off at the digital output IC PCF2705P at the component side of the PCB. For the latter:
Pin 1 = WS
Pin 2 = BCLK
Pin 3 = DATA.
Old 13th October 2003, 06:01 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I hope to receive them soon and to play a little with them.
I think I'll try a external non-os DAC first and then wire a TDA1543 (and also a 1541A) with IIS..
If I want to make the DAC internal do you suggest direct connection (maybe with a separate supplt for the TDA) or a interface like the one you attached?

Can the Asynchronous reclocker (PS can you send me the schematic, please ) be useful in case I take out the IIS signal directly ?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 13th October 2003, 06:25 PM   #30
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But the question is (Jean-Paul please answer if you can): are they really worth the effort modifying them.I would probably go for some with TDA 1541 chip.
If you have the time....

Hide this!Advertise here!