USB digital isolator for audio DACs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some time ago I designed a USB isolator, with ADUM4160 as the base of the project, for my sound card measurement system . I also added a dedicated power supply and, to make it more universal, isolated DC/DC converter (ADUM5000). ADUM4160 supports 12Mbps communication which is sufficient for 96kHz/24bit sampling rate.

Isolator works very well. Red line represents the measurement of the EMU soundcard connected directly to the USB port of my laptop and black using isolator. As you can see 50Hz hum and the second harmonic is filtered better. There is also less noise in the 2kHz - 20kHz band.

Attachments

• USB-ISO-UNISONUS.jpg
    USB-ISO-UNISONUS.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 862
  • USB-ISO-EMU.png
    USB-ISO-EMU.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 848
  • ADuM4160_test_sch.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 210
Hmmm... NO. Digital levels are way higher than those "noises", therefore are immune. You are thinking in analog terms.
Also FYI, currents CANNOT flow on just ONE conductor. They need a return path to source, a closed circuit.

In my opinion you should look at the problem more globally. All devices in this circuit have something in common - AC power sockets ;) Look at attached figure - do you really think that isolation doesn't give any benefits?

Attachments

• ADUM_10.png
    ADUM_10.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 454
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Where did you make this measurement? The noise measurement should be made at the user interface (i2c, spdif, pcie, etc), and not on the wire between the rx/tx ports to see if there is an actual benefit of isolation.

Last edited:
In my opinion you should look at the problem more globally. All devices in this circuit have something in common - AC power sockets ;) Look at attached figure - do you really think that isolation doesn't give any benefits?

I don't understand the figure. Supposed to be what? What did you use to measure the -132dB noise? Or is just a a simulating software?

If you have AC noise on SPDIF inputs, it will be common mode noise - rejected anyway below noise floor by the rest of devices.

Hmmm... NO. Digital levels are way higher than those "noises", therefore are immune. You are thinking in analog terms.
Also FYI, currents CANNOT flow on just ONE conductor. They need a return path to source, a closed circuit.

I am using a laptop into a battery powered USB dac (USB9023). The USB port 5V pin is floating. Am I right in thinking that I cannot benefit from a USB isolator as there is no ground loop between the laptop and the dac?

TIA
Giulio

@Giulio - yes, you have in commun only the ground (from power side) and SPDIF signal. There is no way the noise from your power supply can get to the DAC. You can have other sources of errors (jitter), but power supply is not on eof them.

PS: The fact that you are running the laptop from battery does NOT influence the end result. You have internally all kinds of switched-mode power supply to convert that battery voltage to the numerous voltages needed.

Sonic, you really should not give opinions about that which you have little experience. I can tell you from ACTUAL LISTENING that power supply & ground quality absolutely affect the sound of a dac that's connected to the usb interface, or even to a wifi wireless interface(SB Duet, etc.). Whether or not one can measure the difference, myself & others I know, and many more I don't, reliably in a/b testing, even blind testing, hear differences when even a single capacitor is changed on even the 5V main supply line of the interface. Computers, and indeed the USB/wifi interfaces themselves, produce prodigious amounts of noise that is inflicted upon the supply rails & grounds, and properly cleaning up these lines reduces jitter(timing jitter and that caused by spdif waveform distortions), and thus improves the sound from the connected dac. Refusing to hear what you cannot measure does not make a problem non-existent. Thinking like this is how companies like Yamaha produced, for example, power amps with near perfect measurements that sounded absolutely terrible. If you can't measure a problem that you hear, you simply have not invented the right way to measure it.

PS: The fact that you are running the laptop from battery does NOT influence the end result. You have internally all kinds of switched-mode power supply to convert that battery voltage to the numerous voltages needed.

SoNic - have you learned about the difference between common-mode and differential-mode noise? From what you've just written the answer looks to be a resounding 'no' because you seem to think that CM noise 'gets rejected'. What leads you to this view?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.