USB digital isolator for audio DACs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do think that full galvonic isolation helps seperate what can be a very noisy PC envoironment from the rest of the reproduction chain, I think it is good engineering practice.
Can hear differences but cant measure them.. NOPE, when I see a definitive set of data I will change my view, but especialy with todays measuring equipement, if there is a change it will be measurable.

I do think that full galvonic isolation helps seperate what can be a very noisy PC envoironment from the rest of the reproduction chain, I think it is good engineering practice.
Can hear differences but cant measure them.. NOPE, when I see a definitive set of data I will change my view, but especialy with todays measuring equipement, if there is a change it will be measurable.

There're some plots up on ExaDevices site which show the difference isolation makes to the noise level - quite interesting (scroll down about half way):

exaSound Audio Design > e20 DAC > Measurements

It depends where the external power comes from. If external power is from a battery then I'd say you've got full isolation. If external power comes from the mains then your isolation is only as good as the isolation in that mains supply.

Big trouble.

ADum4160 has low power consumption. Using battery may be OK, but all other equipment from DAC to power amp use mains. Is there still isolated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.