Mod CDP SONY 950

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi every one,

I am the new member of this forum. I am using the Sony 950 CDP and i want to upgrade its capacitors.

post-4702-100001831%201170261312.JPG

On this main board, i saw 1 big yellow capacitor, name SB, 47000 mdf and 5.5V,
Can anyone tell me this capacitor use for which section? power supply or what. and what is this brand name. and or can i replace this and which will be the best for replacement? there are 02 ELNA 4700mdf and 16V, are they good or have other better for replacement?

Thanks for your help.

Otherwise, can u tell me which part can i upgrade for this CD, cause i really love DIY but lack of knowledge in electronics. I can do simple things.

Once again thanks for forum for DIY lover can share the knowledge and experience.
Hope to have yours replies soon.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can't tell much from that picture :) You need to find a service manual and circuit diagram.

47000/5.5v sounds a strange value. Post a close up picture of it. Are you sure it's not a "super cap" used in place of nicad/ni-mh battery to maintain standby/memory settings. Unusual though in a CD player.

You might be better looking at the analogue output stages for any possible upgrades and mods but without more info it's hard to advise.

Thanks Mooly for your early helps,

Sorry, i just have the close up photos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Please help me again man,

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the pics.
The yellow cap has to be for system backup/memory retention. Similar thing to these. It has no effect on audio performance.
2 NCC 5.5V 4.7mF 4700UF SB Memory Backup Capacitor | eBay

I think there is at least one (that I can see) 5532 type opamp... are there more ?
Replacing these may well give the most change in subjective performance. I would suggest something like the OPA2604, the OPA2132 or the LM4562. All will sound different... the OPA2604 can sound very musical in the right application.
As always I advise a check on stability when swapping opamps

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

Beyond that I would see what the muting circuit is but you really need a circuit for that... without having the unit in front of me I wouldn't like to guess. If it uses transistors as a mute then these can usefully be changed for FET's (if the drive is correct) or sometimes removed altogether (if you are prepared to put up with possible pops/clicks at power on/off)

i m curently thinking about mod a cd player to.

so i m interested in that topik. :p

first thing I realyse, is that your dac is tda1541 not A ? is that normal if you check on the net it should be :

SONY CDP-950
1 x TDA1541A – CXD1088A
KSS-150A / KSS-210A

i was about to buy a player of this ones but your picture make me doubt

Do you mean that this is not the original DAC chip?
It's working good now since i replace the wire, however, i want to make more better moves.

My friend said i could replace the power transformer but i have no idea about that part.

i am waiting a friend in this forum for the circuit modification.

Notice that my CDP 950 is a second hand one. it may be fixed or mod, i dont know.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Having looked at the circuit I would definitely replace the two dual opamps at the output of the DAC. In your photo it appears to be a 5532, in the manual a 4560.

I would fit sockets and then you can try different ones. the circuit looks as though it should be stable with no other modifications needed. Try the OPA2604, the OPA2134 or perhaps the LM4562.

The muting transistors. You can actually remove these completely to listen to the player. With them removed is "as good as it gets". It's possible to replace these with FET's such as the 2SK117 or 2SK170.

I would do just one thing at once... opamps first as that will give the greatest sonic gains IMO.

I have read about the Sony Duorex caps as being a major problem as they age... but I have no experience myself of these so can not really comment. If you look under the PCB where the caps are is there any discolouration ? If any doubt I would say replace all of that type.

Attachments

• Output stages.JPG
    Output stages.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 831
You are right, there is 2 IC 5532DD - JRC in output of DAC chip.
I am seeking for the OPA 2604 or something else.

The Sony Caps is still good and no discolor as you said. I think the best move now is to replace the 2 Opamp,

Thanks alot for your kindly and knowledgable helps.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You are right, there is 2 IC 5532DD - JRC in output of DAC chip.
I am seeking for the OPA 2604 or something else.

The Sony Caps is still good and no discolor as you said. I think the best move now is to replace the 2 Opamp,

Thanks alot for your kindly and knowledgable helps.

Your welcome...
I would go for the opamps first. I have used the OPA2604 and like it.

Easiest to fit sockets and try different ones... then you know what you like and compare easily.

I have no knowledge of electrics but have a big love of DIY works, many thanks to all friend in this forum, i hope all of us will have more wonderful experience while doing this work.

@Mooly: Can i replace the original DAC chip TDA1541 with this one?

This is available in shop but i dont know the quality and sound character. Pls tell me more, thanks.

Same here can't open your link/image...

based on what i read, in term of performance you have (incresing steps):

TDA1541
TDA1541A
TDA1541A R1
TDA1541A S1
TDA1541A S2

All A models are exactly the same physical chip but with an even stricter selective standard which gives them their name (noting)<R1<S1<S2

In sound quality, there is a huge diference between non-A and A models.
People generally agree that the version 1541A-S1 is the best musically speaking but there is really a minor difference between all A versions. (unless their prize ;) )

To finish I ll say that I've just bough a cdp-750,
it came with an happy TDA1541A, so i présume (acordig to all I ve read and see) that 950 and 750 can come wih A or non-A chip and by this fact i présume that yoou can change it without any problem.

Like you I don t know anyting about electronic but I think 950 is better sounding before a mod so I m expect to buy a 950 and try a mod on it too folowing this topik and other because we can find a lot off information about 950 mod and realy few about 750

Some of them may help us (you probably already find):
-http://teguhps-goodbaddesignanddiy.blogspot.com/2009/07/sony-cdp950-tweak.html
-http://teguhps-goodbaddesignanddiy.blogspot.com/2009/07/sony-cdp950-tweak-part-2.html
-http://cdmods.prv.pl/index.php?show=tuning_sony_950

I m wating for more images if you make some modifications so take plenty ;) I ll do the same as soon I ll recive my 950

Re: Mod CDP Sony 950

Same here can't open your link/image...

based on what i read, in term of performance you have (incresing steps):

TDA1541
TDA1541A
TDA1541A R1
TDA1541A S1
TDA1541A S2

All A models are exactly the same physical chip but with an even stricter selective standard which gives them their name (noting)<R1<S1<S2

In sound quality, there is a huge diference between non-A and A models.
People generally agree that the version 1541A-S1 is the best musically speaking but there is really a minor difference between all A versions. (unless their prize ;) )

To finish I ll say that I've just bough a cdp-750,
it came with an happy TDA1541A, so i présume (acordig to all I ve read and see) that 950 and 750 can come wih A or non-A chip and by this fact i présume that yoou can change it without any problem.

Like you I don t know anyting about electronic but I think 950 is better sounding before a mod so I m expect to buy a 950 and try a mod on it too folowing this topik and other because we can find a lot off information about 950 mod and realy few about 750

Some of them may help us (you probably already find):
-http://teguhps-goodbaddesignanddiy.blogspot.com/2009/07/sony-cdp950-tweak.html
-http://teguhps-goodbaddesignanddiy.blogspot.com/2009/07/sony-cdp950-tweak-part-2.html
-http://cdmods.prv.pl/index.php?show=tuning_sony_950

I m wating for more images if you make some modifications so take plenty ;) I ll do the same as soon I ll recive my 950

I am preparing everything needed like:
14 decoupling capacitors
02 opamp 2134
and RCA jacks

I heard about this guy (in bad&gooddesign website) he told about conect wire from the output capacitors directly to RCA Jack and ground , i have no idea of that, can any supert tell us about this?

Good Design Bad Design and DIY: Sony CDP950 Tweak Part 3 : NOSed

Continue to collect all information and suggestions for the project start.

Hi dovuhoang & chaotri, before modding, best is to have schematic, I'm not good at electronic either, but lot can be learned and fun as well, pm me with your e-mails, will send service manuals to dovu CDP950 and CDP750 for chaotri they are big sized files :)

best, TeguhPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.