Another TDA1541A based dac (dual differential) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2011, 10:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another TDA1541A based dac (dual differential)

I've had this up and running for about a year now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac_2.jpg (454.8 KB, 1241 views)
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Very interesting looking design, thanks for sharing. I take it its NOS and the clump of logic in the middle creates the digital inversion. Why did you opt for separate common-mode chokes on the secondary sides of the transformers rather than one choke on the primary side? Also what's the I/V stage - those discrete TO220 transistors?
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting indeed. Can you share more on the logic circuit?
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:14 PM   #4
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tazzz, Is it your design, can we buy it somewhere?
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Very interesting looking design, thanks for sharing. I take it its NOS and the clump of logic in the middle creates the digital inversion. Why did you opt for separate common-mode chokes on the secondary sides of the transformers rather than one choke on the primary side? Also what's the I/V stage - those discrete TO220 transistors?
Yes, as its playing now its run in NOS but with passive sinx/x. Its much easier to dampen the Q of the filters when they can be loaded with large electrolytics.

The I/V stage is pretty much that of the "D1" Only I've changed it to draw current from the power supplies more equally and not load the sinx/x filters excessively at low volume settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
Interesting indeed. Can you share more on the logic circuit?
Its similar to the i2s splitter posted by pedja rogic some years back but since I had a CPLD implementation in mind first Its implemented in another way using less flip-flops.

The rest is a clock divider and a couple of XOR gate providing a truly differential signal for the DEM pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Tazzz, Is it your design, can we buy it somewhere?
No, its my PCB.
Old 4th July 2011, 08:43 AM   #6
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Tazz,

I'd be very interested in your schematic's and pcb layout. I'm currently trying to do something very similar and would hope to pick up some ideas from your implementation. Would it be possible to post the schematic and or pcb layout?

regards,
Joris
Old 4th July 2011, 04:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Hi Tazz,

I'd be very interested in your schematic's and pcb layout. I'm currently trying to do something very similar and would hope to pick up some ideas from your implementation. Would it be possible to post the schematic and or pcb layout?

regards,
Joris
Sorry, no not at this moment.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:46 PM   #8
savvas is offline savvas  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz View Post
Sorry, no not at this moment.
So what's the point of this thread ? Any further info or comparison ?
Old 6th July 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am about to start on a dual differential 1541a dac.
I am buffering and inverting the data to one dac and using a bifilar wound dual primary I/V transformer.

The plan is to use 3 pairs (in series) of 74hct14 hex inverters to buffer all three I2S lines borrowed from the inputs of the 7220. One dac will receive its data after only one inversion.

The transformer is here:Sowter Type 9545 DAC INTERFACE TRANSFORMER

For the time being the transformer supplies the valve output stage of an Audio Note DAC1 (I'll also try the transformers on this as well)
I
Old 7th July 2011, 05:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You don't get all the benefits from running differential if you do it that way you really should split up the I2S into left and right and use separate dacs for the different channels.

Hide this!Advertise here!