usb to s/pdif convertors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... I see you need optical output... I have one of these, amazing performance for $50 - $60...

Cakewalk (Roland) USB Audio Interface UA-1G. Comes with software - outstanding sound and value for money. I used it to transfer tapes / mini disks to wav (uncompressed). Sounds good too!

A-to-D / D-to-A chip is AK4556
DIR is AK4114

I did some very basic mods to USB power filtration, which improved sound significantly (5 min job + spent $5 on parts).

The best part: D to A + A to D + USB + optical digital IN / OUT + Advanced Driver + very good software

Boky

Last edited:
Hello,

just received my HA onfo U2 USB to SPDIF 24bit 96Khz converter and finished 6 hours casual testing. I am very happy with this device.

Built quality is great. Windows XP Sp3 recognized the HA onfo U2 instantly. Very nice signal quality without any "distortions" or problems.

Its much better than a Behringer 202 because:

1) Its better built
2) It uses a much better receiver chip
3) It supports up to 24 bit 96khz (Behringer just 16bit 48Khz)
4) Toslink (worst way to connect digital signals) and SPDIF Coax (better but Koax with BNC connectors is better / 75 Ohm issue)

I paid 34 Euro including shipping/tax. My best gadget item from asia in 2011 :)

I recommend it. It supports also MAC!

cheers
Alan

Last edited:
There's the ADStech "Instant Music"; same TI chip as the Behringer, but better built (seems to adhere closely to the sample design provided by TI), with Toslink (and line level) in and out. Sometimes sale-priced at Staples. There's enough room in the box to DIY coax I/O, probably.

Some C-Media chips included S/PDIF output pins; I believe the Turtle Beach USB thing is based on one of those.

Hello,

just received my HA onfo U2 USB to SPDIF 24bit 96Khz converter and finished 6 hours casual testing. I am very happy with this device.

Built quality is great. Windows XP Sp3 recognized the HA onfo U2 instantly. Very nice signal quality without any "distortions" or problems.

Its much better than a Behringer 202 because:

1) Its better built
2) It uses a much better receiver chip
3) It supports up to 24 bit 96khz (Behringer just 16bit 48Khz)
4) Toslink (worst way to connect digital signals) and SPDIF Coax (better but Koax with BNC connectors is better / 75 Ohm issue)

I paid 34 Euro including shipping/tax. My best gadget item from asia in 2011 :)

I recommend it. It supports also MAC!

cheers
Alan

Just bought and installed HA onfo U2 USB to SPDIF 24bit 96Khz converter in my ArchLinux music MPD server system and it works like a champ. It replaced a Behringer 202 and the HA sounds very good. Using the Toslink right now, but plan to go Coax once I buy another decent cable. Took 2 weeks to get from Hong Kong to USA. Pretty nice build quality. Very satisfied for under $40. Would recommend for the value it gives.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.