XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface - Page 169 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 05:38 PM   #1681
BRN is offline BRN  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
Okay, my english language skills are killing all of us so, let's keep it simple:
1. This GB is for a daughter board (one that will be attached to WaveIO) which wants to improve WaveIO's functionality by adding USB isolation and retiming the I2S signals right before the DAC chip.
L
From reading through the thread and looking for information about the daughter card, I did not find much. Just the above and wanted to know if S/PDIF out would benefit from the daughter card?

Last edited by BRN; 4th April 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:04 AM   #1682
diyAudio Member

Default I2S attenuatiom?

Hi,

In this thread Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A there is much to do about I2S signal attenuation to reduce ground bounce on the DAC chip.

Would it be possible to feed the isolator of the isolated I2S output with a lower voltage than 3.3v eg. 1.8v to achieve a similar result?

Thank you, marco
Old 6th April 2013, 12:18 PM   #1683
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
i'm trying to power the board with a 6v 2000ma nicd battery but it can only keep it operational for an hour or so before the voltage drops off.
I don't think WaveIO would withstand to 6Vdc applied to power connector unless oyu find a way to make it work ! LP5900 will be the first chips that will end up in smoke or simply will short itself internally. I saw this before and that's the main reason why I suggest 5Vdc for external supply (5.6V - 5.7V is the upper limit). In your case you should know that WaveIO is quite a power hungry board and at 5V/380mA in 24/192 streaming will squeeze your battery quite fast. The design wasn't optimized for battery powered option mainly because the PSU used for XMOS core is a linear one and not SMPS as used in XMOS stock designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN View Post
From reading through the thread and looking for information about the daughter card, I did not find much. Just the above and wanted to know if S/PDIF out would benefit from the daughter card?
Not for the moment. The daughter will be designed mostly for the I2S lines but there's time to change my mind. As for now there are no reasons for me to take SPDIF into account... still, I'll not promise to keep my word on that! Anyway, the SPDIF is much easier to wire to the daughter card so any further HW improvements should be easier to do. The I2S is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deduikertjes View Post
Hi,

In this thread Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A there is much to do about I2S signal attenuation to reduce ground bounce on the DAC chip.

Would it be possible to feed the isolator of the isolated I2S output with a lower voltage than 3.3v eg. 1.8v to achieve a similar result?
Thank you, marco
Hello Marco; from what I remember the NVE isolator is not capable to work with 1.8V voltages on its power rails as the minimum operating voltage is specified at 3.0V You can find all the infos here at page 2.
I guess a translator will be good in your case, with this one as a simple example (Edit: Make sure the supply voltages will not cross the 4.5V boundary).
I hope it helps,
L
Old 8th April 2013, 02:10 PM   #1684
diyAudio Member

@Lorien
YHEMAIL
Old 9th April 2013, 12:48 PM   #1685
diyAudio Member

Got it! and answered through PM!
L
Old 9th April 2013, 02:48 PM   #1686
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Default Using external power

Hi,
I tried to power the XMOS via J13 by jumping J12.
However, the pc then doesn't recognize that the card
is attached. I use a powered 32ft usb cable, which
works fine when it powers the board.
Any thoughts.

Thanks

Old 10th April 2013, 07:53 AM   #1687
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Hi,
I tried to power the XMOS via J13 by jumping J12.
However, the pc then doesn't recognize that the card
is attached. I use a powered 32ft usb cable, which
works fine when it powers the board.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
Hello Ichiban! Be sure that PSU is capable to source 5Vdc @ 380mA minimum. Moreover, check the polarities on the back side of your card, right under the J13 power connector and that there's a jumper placed on the "EXT" position (again check the back side of your WaveIO card for text description). If all above are done then the Green LED LD1 should lit. Now, you probably placed the second jumper of J8 on the "EXT" position as well (it's a common confusion - I'm fully responsible for that). If so, then put it back to "BRD" position as J8 is wired to the USB multiplexer U2.
J8 on "EXT" = USB Bus is connected to J1 pin-header.
J8 on "BRD" = USB Bus is wired to J7 USB connector.

I hope it helps,
L
Old 11th April 2013, 01:11 AM   #1688
diyAudio Member

Hi Lucian,
the WaveIO board arrives on 9th April. It is a nice piece of art, congretulation for your clean work! Today i got the time to connect it and to listen to it. What i can say is: wow, as clean as your work is the sound coming from the board!

I did some changes to the software values and find out, that it is very essential to set the right latency. Too much or too little latency let the good sound performance go down. Since then i thought the higher the latency the better the quality. Did you or someone else do the same experience?

The board is now only connected via SP/dif and with the power coming from my notebook, this is the min. configuration and the sound is so detailed, open with very clean highs and very realistic soundstage, room and voices. All in all i am very impressed and very happy!

…….What do I2s and a separate low noise power station do to this board…..?

Thanks!!!!!! Lucian
Old 14th April 2013, 12:07 PM   #1689
diyAudio Member

Thank you diy it up for your feedback! With your approval, I'll make sure it will be posted on the testimonials section on WaveIO's web page! As for latency, please share with us your findings!
Quote:
…….What do I2s and a separate low noise power station do to this board…..?
Well, I guess it's better for you to try and find out Coincidently or not, another WaveIO user sent me today his feedback related to I2S and external PSU powering scheme:
"Improvement is very big. I think its because of two reasons. First of all I don't have optimally implemented SPDIF application and secondary WaveIO SQ is fantastic. Now I hear what that converter is able to really. Biggest difference is in scene layering and definition. Its more three dimensional and there's gradation of planes, Sound is also bit smoother."
These are not my words and if he will read my post he can confirm it.
I hope it helps,
Lucian

Last edited by Lorien; 14th April 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 15th April 2013, 05:04 AM   #1690
Lurieh is offline Lurieh  France
diyAudio Member

Added myself to the GB list for the daughter board only.

Hide this!Advertise here!