DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 194 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2012, 03:56 PM   #1931
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I didn't try alternate orientations but I suspect Dario may have.
No, I didn't...

But after the FE experience I can say mine is wrong...

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG100.jpg (62.0 KB, 1071 views)
Old 7th July 2012, 05:19 PM   #1932
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
No, I didn't...

But after the FE experience I can say mine is wrong...

Click the image to open in full size.
Hi Dario, could you please expand on your answer regarding the FE episode, I must have missed it.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:27 PM   #1933
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Hi J,
I not only heard better bass, but the entire sound becomes fuller. More "liquid" as opposed dry and a little scratchy. I didn't try alternate orientations but I suspect Dario may have. Sounds like we are hearing the same improvements.
Hi Bob, yes things became fuller and a pretty good improvement.
I am now totally happy with my system and am rediscovering my CD collection.
I haven't completed all the mods on the board, Not done large caps or the 4 resistors around the browndog as I am getting extremely nervous about ruining the board with too much soldering. I have particular difficulty with the resistors.
Old 7th July 2012, 06:03 PM   #1934
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

The FE episode was a series of auditions in an attempt to determine what differences could be heard by swapping the orientation of caps and resistors (mostly Caddocks) as they stand on the PCB. There was also some caparisons of brands and values. It was what generally goes on during a beta phase. My involvement started around here and here if you want the backgroung. I was a non believer before this process, but the orientation proved to be truly significant in dialing in the best sound.

My best method - still not having a de-soldering station - is to use copper braid with lots of liquid flux to soak up as much solder as possible. It is important to let the braid heat fully and slowly draw it across the pad/lead end. Be careful to not pull the braid off if it has cooled. It will take the pad with it. Just reheat till you see it start sliding again. With some practice, parts need very little heat for final removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T2 1.jpg (31.1 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg T2 (2).jpg (58.3 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 7th July 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 05:36 PM   #1935
diyAudio Member

I just received the power supply for my board and so far everything works great, thanks to all your helpful posts.

I, however, have a newbie question related to internal wiring. When I receive the case for my DAC, I consider using 2.5mm˛ OFC speaker wire for the PCB S/PDIF to RCA plug wiring. Is that a bad idea? I know the wire is supposed to be 75 ohms, but I'm thinking that a few inches of short, thick copper wire would pretty much equal soldering the plug right to the PCB. Am I being an idiot?
From the RCA plug to my source I have a proper 75 ohm digital cable, of course. I also have some coaxial antenna cable lying around, and of course the possibility of stripping a finished cable, although that is what I'm trying to avoid.

Last edited by fjer; 9th July 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:48 PM   #1936
diyAudio Member

Please use EVERYWHERE the correct cable (impedance). There is NO gain in using 2,5 mm2 cable. The impedance is. If the impedance does not match, you will get reflections in the cable, and because of that bad blocks of data, which will degrade the signal.

Use proper 75 ohm cable (a video cable with RCA jacks is fine). For example: Farnell number 3711869. Hirschmann 724 is also a good idea.

So do not use the 2,5 mm2. It will not give you any benefit, but it will make even worse. The best result are obtained by the 75 ohm coaxial cable.
Old 10th July 2012, 04:32 AM   #1937
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

well considering the RCA connector cannot be 75ohms (even if some manufacturers say it is) I wouldnt worry too much, but I wouldnt use 2.5mm, thats just silly lol. use your coax though, even though its not going to be 75ohms it will be shielded
Old 10th July 2012, 10:40 AM   #1938
diyAudio Member

What about using one of these on the DAC chassis?

27025 Amphenol RF | Mouser

5-1814823-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser

Don't know if the spdif ground needs to be isolated from the chassis ground? Even if thats the case, isolation washers like those used for chassis mount RCAs could be used. The same piece can be wired to the motherboard spdif out pins via a modified back-plane cover

Got several excess RGB cables in the stash that can be sacrificed for the short chassis to PCB and MB to socket links.

I think this would guarantee 75 ohm over the path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmod.jpg (24.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg fmod2.jpg (46.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 10th July 2012, 11:55 AM   #1939
diyAudio Member

Correct. Any connector used fro video is fine. Like the BNC connector (you can get it way cheaper than Mouser). The F-connector is also fine. But the problem is not the plug. The cables are....
Old 10th July 2012, 12:16 PM   #1940
diyAudio Member

haik, Isn't something like a stock compression (not crimped) end interconnect of the quality the cable companies use acceptable? Those wires hold 75 ohm over long distances and I would think usable in a 1.5 to 3ft (maybe much longer) connection from a PC to a DAC.

I was also looking at RG-179 (Nom. O.D. (in) 0.100) for the short jumpers - if if can be found/purchased in small lengths.

M17/94-RG179 Cable - Buy Coaxial Cable Online from Allied Wire & Cable | Manufacturer of Coaxial Cable

Hide this!Advertise here!