Wolfson WM8740 DIR9001 PCM2706 DIY DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wolfson WM8740 DIR9001 PCM2706 DIY DAC

Hi,

recently I've found one interesting diy DAC kit based on Wolfsons. I had previously FMJ DV27 from Arcam using Wolfsons WM8740, was pretty happy with the stage and resolution. Any suggestions regarding this one?

Already found 3 dedicated transformers home that could be used with it, however couldn't find any decent chassis, does anybody have one or know the place where it could be bought?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (173.9 KB, 4065 views)
Old 4th April 2011, 07:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

anyone?

at least does ir worth it?
Old 7th April 2011, 09:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

anyway, I have ordered the kit, will put some comments in a month time I hope.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Please do and share your experience with it...I might get one of these soon.
Old 10th April 2011, 09:27 PM   #5
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I will be interested to hear the comparison of this to a DV27 as I know the person who designed the DV27. The DV27 uses a 4 layer PCB and this PCB is 2 layers. The layout on this PCB doesn't look great as the ground plane is very segmented. However looking at a PCB is a poor predictor of how well it will work from an audio point of view.

I can tell you that this PCB will probably would not pass EMC regulations but since it is a kit it doesn't need to.

I hope it works out well. If not I have some ideas on how you might be able to improve it.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 11th April 2011, 08:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

hi Andrew,

thanks for the comments. The most simple way of improving this diy dac I have already found - change opams to some decent ones like LM4562, for instance.

it's really interesting whether this dac could be at least close to DV27, however the last one isn't a benchmark too, just an old good DVD player with separate psu and famous WM8740. So I guess if I use this kit with good transport it shouldn't be far from DV27 at least theoretically

Some time ago I had Arcam's CD23, that was something. Not sure that any DIY kit could get close to dcs's dac...

ac2010
sure I will, just need some time to get the kit from China and assemble all the stuff.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

received the kit today

pcb looks to be very decent and pleasant to work with. Components are the following:
-Nippon ASF 3300uf psu
-Panasonic FJ 1500uf psu
-FC, Cerafine, BC 036
-don't know the brand of film caps, though hope they are of good quality

the scheme (pls se att) looks quite simple. Any ideas of improvement except good opams, for instance, LME49710, separate transformers for 9-0, 9-0, 15-0-15v
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WM8740 DAC Sch.pdf (155.4 KB, 1654 views)
Old 23rd April 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I also have this kit. Elna electrolytic capacitors seem to be fake, Nichicon Muse (100M/25V) seems genuine. I am not sure about ON Semi 7808 stabilizers, those seem to be fake too. I will definitely pick up another stabilizers and all caps. PCB layout is not clear, no labeling on some parts, rear side has a lot of misprints. The count of parts doesn't correspond to PCB layout. What I see at glance, this kit will be a headache to put together.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:30 AM   #9
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobretti View Post
Elna electrolytic capacitors seem to be fake, Nichicon Muse (100M/25V) seems genuine.
Can you possibly qualify this statement with a photo, or a reason for this comment? I am curious to know about Elna fakes. I didn't realise there were Elna fakes. Thanks.
Old 24th April 2011, 08:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

well, not sure about these fake Elnas, could be just some old series.

all labels present on my pcb, btw already have assembled it and could post few photos later. Found that few caps and resistors were surplus and three resistors 1k5 were missing, though it's not a big point as I suggest.

Hide this!Advertise here!