Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget

I posted my findings over in the Raspberry Pi thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...pi-new-diyers-digital-hub-13.html#post3330182

With the config I posted there, as far as I can see it is glitch-free as long as there are no USB1.x devices in the system. But if one is connected, such as a keyboard, it'll cause the occasional pop even if you never press any keys. This means I have to scrap my USB HID user interface. :(

However it is so easy to control from a smartphone or tablet, that I'm questioning whether I needed the UI in the first place.

The driver source code has been modified for Win+ASIO at 44.1/88.2/176.4 to behave more like UAC2 on Linux and Mac. The updated driver causes fewer sample rate corrections to occur.

Please test on various Windows platforms. If this turns out to be stable and good I'll pack it into an installer as well. For now it's just a new .dll file which goes on top of an existing installation.

Download and instructions: http://code.google.com/p/sdr-widget/downloads/detail?name=asiouac2.dll

Updated code: https://github.com/nikkov/Win-Widget/tree/master/uaclib

Børge

Last edited:
Update: I've done hours and hours of 44.1 testing on Linux, Mac and Win+ASIO. The three now seem to behave very similarly. To stabilize the host the firmware never seems to have to increase or decrease its reported frequency by more than five steps of 64 in the same direction. Normally 2-3 steps are sufficient.

Børge

It's the Windows driver on UAC2. The updated .dll should work with most firmware versions.

The driver used to operate very differently on 44.1*2^n and 48*2^n. On the latter it used to be a lot like Linux and Mac, on the former it required frequent correction. With the modified code all modes look like they do on Linux and Mac.

Børge

updating the firmware on my ab1.1 was locked, LED interior and exterior off. Removing from the batch command erase f and blankcheck seems to begin to plan,read bootloader1.03 , but then does not complete the program. I use to force a jtag or something? There is a simple project to build it? I'm from Naples. thanks

Hi everybody,
what are the latest news about the high frequency noise issues on windows?
Is the firmware unchanged recently?

From my side I can tell you that in the last days I've been using the board (a stock 1.1) exclusively with a macbook pro (in UAC2) without a single issue at every sample rate, even for listening sessions during entire afternoons ....
Now I'm using an Ipad 1 with the board connected via a powered hub and a "camera connection kit" ... only at 44100, but it sounds wonderful, no problem at all ...
My conclusions are that the firmware is Ok, completely OK, and that under windows there are still problems if we don't use the asio driver ....
Do other guys confirm this?

Hi guys,

I have uploaded a new build of the Windows ASIO driver and WidgetControl at:

AWSetup_20130211.zip

Major updates:

1) Built with libusbK 3.0.5.16
2) Improved Windows 8 support
3) Increased stability for 44.1/88.2/176.4 playback

It came about because there was a report of malfunction on a Win8 system. This update works on his computer now, and it installs nicely on my development box (Win7-64).

Børge

Last edited:
Hi Starn,

The latest firmware at audio_widget_20130202.elf
seems to be stable on all platforms except Mac+UAC1 (which frankly doesn't matter all that much).

The Windows ASIO driver (my previous post) has received a little stability fix which wasn't critical, and now makes UAC2 on Windows behave more like it does on Linux and Mac.

As before, to use UAC2 on Windows you need the driver, and playback only works from ASIO enabled player software. On UAC1 music is played back with the stock Windows USB audio driver, but if you need the control interface (WidgetControl), or if you don't want driver installation error messages, install the Windows driver even on UAC1.

Børge

Hi everybody,
what are the latest news about the high frequency noise issues on windows?
Is the firmware unchanged recently?

From my side I can tell you that in the last days I've been using the board (a stock 1.1) exclusively with a macbook pro (in UAC2) without a single issue at every sample rate, even for listening sessions during entire afternoons ....
Now I'm using an Ipad 1 with the board connected via a powered hub and a "camera connection kit" ... only at 44100, but it sounds wonderful, no problem at all ...
My conclusions are that the firmware is Ok, completely OK, and that under windows there are still problems if we don't use the asio driver ....
Do other guys confirm this?

Do you have a multimeter? Could you check if the output from the regulator is 3.3V or 5.0V? (This is TP27, 4th pin from the top near the edge of the AB-1.x.)

Some early units had 5.0V bug which wasn't detected. If your board has this, I'll send you a new module.

Børge

updating the firmware on my ab1.1 was locked, LED interior and exterior off. Removing from the batch command erase f and blankcheck seems to begin to plan,read bootloader1.03 , but then does not complete the program. I use to force a jtag or something? There is a simple project to build it? I'm from Naples. thanks

I'm afraid that people with older Macs wouldn't agree with that, as they can't use UAC2... ;)

Do you know if those older MACs support _asynchronous_ UAC1? When I run UAC1 on my plain-Jane Mountain Lion install on a 2010 MacBook, the UAC1 feedback mechanism isn't working.

If you have any ideas on why it isn't working on ML, let me know and we can try to fix it there first, then check it out on older Macs.

With a Bitscope or similar it's easy to debug the feedback.

Børge

Do you have a multimeter? Could you check if the output from the regulator is 3.3V or 5.0V? (This is TP27, 4th pin from the top near the edge of the AB-1.x.)

Some early units had 5.0V bug which wasn't detected. If your board has this, I'll send you a new module.

Børge
TP27 3.3V !!!
since the LED always off I'm not sure that enters the program mode .
by removing batch command erase f and blankcheck seems to begin to plan, reads from usb and says
bootloader1.0.3,
prog pass 0x00000 0x1ca8f
verify fail at 0x02006
how can I do?
With fimware that I put before the metallic sound was not feeling almost never
audio_widget_20121004_AB-1.2 I regret having updated hello Borge
my bad English comes from google translator