DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

digital signals into some cdrom's

It's easy to identify digital signals into older cdrom's. Just look after the DAC chip on the board, find it's datasheet and observe data/clock input pins and format accepted. (sony or I2S)
Remove DAC chip and wire out serial data and clocks; say bye-bye to sp/dif. :)

Ok, let's revive a little bit this thread :)
I just finished the control board. I have a few bugs to fix, but is working fine. The features are as described in my previous posts: lcd display support(2x16) , remote control and a few buttons. This version is suitable for getting data on sp/dif output or, for the brave ones, I2S/Sony data lines could be found inside on some cdrom's.
I will post schematic and pictures soon; maybe I can make a few boards available if there is some request.
I strongly recommend clock upgrade inside any cdrom!

Lupulroz said:
Ok, let's revive a little bit this thread :)
I just finished the control board. I have a few bugs to fix, but is working fine. The features are as described in my previous posts: lcd display support(2x16) , remote control and a few buttons. This version is suitable for getting data on sp/dif output or, for the brave ones, I2S/Sony data lines could be found inside on some cdrom's.
I will post schematic and pictures soon; maybe I can make a few boards available if there is some request.
I strongly recommend clock upgrade inside any cdrom!

Hi,Lupulroz
what you mean getting data on spdif?
IMO, I thought we can control the CDROM only through the IDE interface.
And the digital output of the CDROM transmit the sound signal.
:confused:

If anything wrong please correct me!

I'm assuming if you have a digital output, then the sound comes out of the analog and digital outputs at the same time (no need for code to select the ouput). If this isn't true, then give me a yell. Looks like with my assumptions that I could use matttmattt's design, and using the digital output, and hook the standalone player straight to the digital input of my receiver.

It seems to be a difference in responses to some interogations between older cdrom drives and new ones. This is why it takes tame to finalize software, I am trying to write an "universal" code. For example I made a version that worked perfectly on an older drive, but a new TEAC unit just ignore some requests.
With older units you can get data (if you open them) generally in Sony/BB, so they are still worth.
Either sp/dif (with clock upgrade inside) will do good with new drives I think.
I hope this week final version will be ready, or I make 2 versions of code..

There is more than one play command. You can command the device to play from start to finish and depending on the device you may or may not be able to stop the device and have it remember where to continue from. Alternatively there is the play from point a to point b command but to use this command you have to read and store the TOC.Then there are the various read commands but tackling them with a microcontroller is not for the squeamish.

Not sure what you mean but play and read are very different. The play command does just that. It is reserved for audio playback either analogue or digital. The read command on the other hand reads the type of sector you tell it to and in the CDDA case reads out blocks of 2352 bytes of L&R data through the IDE interface. The read command is far more capable than the extremely limited play command but the price for that increased capabilty is in the greatly increased complexity of any control interface not to mention no more SPDIF.
If you simply want press a button and stream out the audio then all you need is the play command. If, for example, you want CD-Text then you need the read command in one of its various forms.