192KHz 24bit DAC No oversampling and No digital filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have contacted M2Tech to produce an USB->I2S module.

If we will arrive to 100 items they can produce and sell this module at 50 euro with the following specifications (see attached file).

I will open soon a group buy about this.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/M2TOEM-01USB-to-I2SPrBNov-08-2009.pdf

If you do this, why not make the output format selectable as I2S (TDA1541 input) or EIJA (AD1865) via jumper or GPIO Pin.

BTW, looking at your V2 DAC with AD1865, had you actually applied as much effort to the power supplies of the TDA1541 during testing, your preference may have come out a different way. The TDA1541 probably has the worst PSRR (and hence is most susceptible) to PSU problems or any DAC I know.

Ciao T

PS, make sure the group-buy includes includes a vendor USB Audio Class 2.0 driver for Windows...

Hi,

If the purpose is only to play 24/192 without oversampling, then why use a PC via USB ?
Why not just use a uP based player like :

I have gotten used to excellent sound quality (way above any CD transport I have used) combined with the convenience and power of a PC holding over 1000 CD's searchable many ways, browsable with cover image (and and and...).

Realistically the SD Card player is as limited by the clock as any asynchronous USB device.

So, why on earth should I downgrade to such a prehistoric device that still clings to the "physical media" concept, without offering any benefit in return?

Ciao T

Hello audiodesign,

Have you done any price evaluation about this project?

No, We are creating a hi-end project so the price is not very important.

The USB->I2S module will follows by the best DAC circuit and for the output stage we can design 2 options:

1) full vacuum tube stage (probably a D3a in triode conection with a CCS)
2) solid stage no feedback (a simple fet ?)

We must think if the shift register to align left and right channels is important and also if a reclock give an improvement of sonic performances.

Last edited:
I'm probably not very clear about HDCD.

On a side note, Musiland's latest driver apparently incorporates a HDCD decoder
I highly doubt that. If they did its illegal unless they paid licensing to M$.
Its probably just HDCD.exe which does not take full advantage of HDCD. Where did you hear that the Musiland has HDCD decoding?
Windows Media Player integrates HDCD decoder. HDCD decoding works with original CD disc. The same file riped is not shown as HDCD format.
Actually to play 192KHz 24bit I am using a EMU 0404 USB without modifications. The Windows Media Player cannot play 192KHz 24bit so I am using Foobar 2000.
HDCD improves 16 bit @ 44.1kHz recording. There is nothing to improve with 24 bit @ 192 kHz.

About the shift register there is an interesting discussion on the other forum

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/111259-ad1865-best-dac-20.html#post2177532
In a normal operation left and right channel outputs at the same time. Without shift register, left channel outputs before right channel. This delay (11.34µs @ 44.1kHz and less at 192kHz) is probably not a problem with low cost realization. It becomes one with high end realization.

Dealing with (real) 24bit is dealing with 144 dB of resolution. This incredible level of quality needs solid experience on designing DAC. Don't you think?

Hi,

Windows Media Player integrates HDCD decoder. HDCD decoding works with original CD disc. The same file riped is not shown as HDCD format.

dbPoweramp includes a HDCD Decoder (under the DSP section) that expands HDCD Files to 20Bit/44.1KHz files (saved as 24Bit File). This can be used to pre-decode HDCD Files. I have done this with my whole music collection. I was surprised how many HDCD's I had on my HDD.

Ciao T

Actually to play 192KHz 24bit I am using a EMU 0404 USB without modifications.

The Windows Media Player cannot play 192KHz 24bit so I am using Foobar 2000.

Are you content with the sound? I have the same device (emu 0404 USB) and it is (unmodified) not really good! But I tried only 16bit/44.1 kHz files! My cheap hifidiy.net PCM1793 DAC sounds much better. I was really disappointed by the sound of the 0404 USB. Everybody is talking about the good siund of the AKM4396 but I can not support this evaluation.

Hi,

dbPoweramp includes a HDCD Decoder (under the DSP section) that expands HDCD Files to 20Bit/44.1KHz files (saved as 24Bit File). This can be used to pre-decode HDCD Files. I have done this with my whole music collection. I was surprised how many HDCD's I had on my HDD.

Ciao T

Yes but these HDCD incoders are black market and many believe don't include the full HDCD algoritmh as implemented with digital code of the official PMD200 DSP.

Hi,

Yes but these HDCD incoders are black market

!!!??? WTF? There was plenty of discussion and testing on the HDCD.EXE tool. Aparently it is fine.

and many believe don't include the full HDCD algoritmh as implemented with digital code of the official PMD200 DSP.

Funny. And I had someone who should know tell me that the HDCD decoding implementation in the PDM200 was messed up and the PDM100 is the only chip that decodes correctly. And HDCD.EXE decodes aparently eactly like the PDM100 does (never tested it myself, life is too short and all that).

So I'd be a little less sure what is "correct" and what is not.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.