Anyone have any information on Philips CD210

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question: does anyone have any information (e.g. service manual schematics etc.) for the Philips CD210 CD player. I cannot find anything anywhere and couldn't get access to Philips service manual website as I am not a registered service centre.

The fourth paragraph in the first article on this site has led me to believe that the electronics of the CD210 are pretty much the same as the CD600 - apart from the headphone output and its related circuitry, and the individually regulated power supply rails (which I think the CD210 has the option for on the PCB but the components are not in place).

If no one has the actual service manual for the CD210 I would be happy if someone just confirms whether or not the CD600 is based on the CD210 circuitry as I am happy to work around the additional details on the schematics when I get round to modify my CD210 :).

I've owned one before, they're not exactly high end, but they're okay. They use the following internals:

CDM-4/19 > TDA8808 / TDA8809 > SAA7310 > SAA7220 > TDA1543

If you want the service manual, the place to go is Welcome at  Nostatech service manuals, they have manuals for almost every Philips CD player there is, including the CD210.

I've attached pictures of this player's mainboard and display panel.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 942
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 522
Nice player, TDA1543 based. Easy to mod also without schematics: better caps, schottky diodes, SAA7220 bypass for non oversampling, better opamps or passive I/V conversion with 1K resistors...
Anyway I think I have the service manual. Please let me check :radar:

Thanks for the reply. As amc184 said these players aren't high end by any means but should certainly suitable, when modified, for a workshop system paired with a modded Acoustic Solutions SP100 amplifier (replace factory power amplifier section with a new one designed around the LM1875, larger transformer and filter caps, bypassing the horrible digitally controlled volume, bass, treble and loudness functions on the preamp section leaving only the input switching and gain section).

As I am relatively new to CD players and the modifications that can be done could someone possibly direct me to somewhere with instructions on how to bypass the SAA7220 as non oversampling is definitely something that I'd like to try.

nonoversampling mod

Nonoversampling mod

Cut traces on pcb going to tda1543 pins 1, 2 and 3 (near the chip). Check for continuity with a multimeter.

Connect with thin wires:
saa7220 pin 1 with tda1543 pin 2
saa7220 pin 2 with tda1543 pin1
saa7220 pin 3 with tda1543 pin3

you've bypassed digital filter, now the player is in nonoversampling mode!:D

Now connect saa7220 pin 23 with saa7310 pin 18 (this enable mute function otherwise you'll hear some noises when tracks change). Pin 18 looks like floating (please start to count to the right from the left corner down on the chip).

You'll have better sound replacing opamps with ne5532; fuller and warmer sound with opa2604.

Thanks for the guidance, I don't know when I'll be able to get round to doing this but I will probably report back on the sound quality after I've completed all of the mods.

With regards to the opamps, I was thinking of replacing them with some TI OPA2132's which I got free on the TI sample program (should've cost ~£3 each :D). I was just wondering whether these would be suitable or not (I think they should be once I've just bypassed them properly.)

One last thing: did you find the service manual? I'm happy to work from the CD600 manual as I have it all printed out and properly stitched together and it is virtually the same as the CD210.

Thanks.

I think your opamps will work well. I tried various TI/Burr Brown, I liked mostly opa2604, but I eventually returned to classic ne5532 which I found more "natural". It's very cheap too... Btw you'll have best sound from tda1543 with passive I/V conversion with simple 1K resistors. Plenty of posts out there on this topic.

Unfortunately I didn't find service manual, I'm sure I had this player but probably I modded it without schematics.
Have a nice work:)

Please a little help about a cd210 philips upgrade

I'm at work now :eek: but tonight I'll definitely provide you step by step directions to do the mods.
Nonoversampling will turns the cheap player in a giant killer :cool:
Hallo Calamaro, can you please suggest me some step for upgrade my old and loved cd 210 philips? I suppose you can write me in italian language..Thank you so much! Have a nice new year! Regards Lino

Please help new to you

Hallo Calamaro, can you please suggest me some step for upgrade my old and loved cd 210 philips? I suppose you can write me in italian language..Thank you so much! Have a nice new year! Regards Lino

I too have CD 210. It is working fine but I dont know if my set has some thing manufacturing state that the display window is not illuminated. To know the play status and for other indications I have to go very near to display window and peep my eyes into it. Can it be illuminated putting any short of light in the display area ?

The display in this player is an LCD panel backlit by two 12V 50mA light bulbs. These bulbs have a finite life and inevitably break, NAD players are notorious for this fault.

You can either buy new bulbs from an electronics shop / website or I could send some to you for the cost of shipping. I have a CD230 that I was about to junk, it uses the same bulbs as the CD210. PM me if you're interested.

The display in this player is an LCD panel backlit by two 12V 50mA light bulbs. These bulbs have a finite life and inevitably break, NAD players are notorious for this fault.

You can either buy new bulbs from an electronics shop / website or I could send some to you for the cost of shipping. I have a CD230 that I was about to junk, it uses the same bulbs as the CD210. PM me if you're interested.

Can you please show the pc board and the place where these two bulbs should be soldered.

They're soldered in behind the LCD module. On the back of the display PCB you can see four white plastic tabs that hold the LCD module to the PCB. Push these clips back through the PCB and gently hinge the LCD module out, exposing the two bulbs. You can then desolder and replace the bulbs. The bulbs may foul on the frame / diffuser assembly, in which case you may have to desolder the data pins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.