2 PCM63 direct to I2S ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Phreax !

I´m confused. I want to build my own High-End-CD-Player.
For the CD-Transport-Unit i want use an expensive Philips-VAU 1252 with the "I2S" Output. This is very good ,because i´m not use a Digital-Interface-receiver (like CS8412,CS8414..).
The Digital-Filter (DF17xx,..) i don´t use, too !
It´s very minimal: Only 2 piece ob Burr-Browns "PCM63" direct coupled to the Philips !
There is only one problem : The PCM63 is not "Stereo", I need
2 piece for a Stereo-DAC. But is there a way to "divide" or seperate the "I2S"-Signals for the "Left"- and the "Right"-Channel.

Then i thougt, i can take the "PCM69" because it´s a Monolithic-Chip "Stereo-DAC", but i cannot get this Type here in Germany.

Is there anybody there with a little Tip for me and my problem ...?

greetings from Obelix

I2s to Sony/Burr-brown format conversion

Hi,
The BB chips expects data in the binary two's complement (BTC) format with the most significant bit (MSB) being first in the serial input bitstream.
On the Analog Devices website was a application note number 207 to convert I2S to Sony/Burr-Brown format. Unfortunately this Application Note is no longer on there website but I can send you the original PDF file.
Basically the latch is shifted one bit period with D-type flipflops and some ports.
For the PCM 63 you have to shift more probably to make use of the MSB's of the 20bit PCM 63.
The Application Note also takes care of the left/right seperation of the channels.
The AD1865 DACchip is more easy to use with this scheme, but also requires 2 bit periods extra shift as it is a 18bit DAC as opposed to the 16 bit AD1851 DAC in the Application Note.
If you wish to receive the Application Note send me a email and I will reply with the PDF-file as attachment.

The easy way out...

...is to find a Philips/Signetics TDA 1541/A. 16 bits, i2s straight in, no glue logic required, unipolar current out, so like the BB 63, can be used with a cascode out topology feeding a resistor and tranny or cap for passive I/V.
Perfect for 1fs non-oversampled apps.
Even with all the newcomers around, the 63 and the 1541 are still my favorites, but I have not tried the 63 with 16 "raw" bits.
I am not sure if the BB 63 needs "zero stuffing" for the unused bits 17 - 20, or if it fully resets on negative edges of the latch enable pin. One would presume the latter, but you never know till trying it. The app from ELSO would also function here. Would you care to be the brave volunteer? Otherwise, the 1541 is cabable of quite good sonics when fed clean, stiff power along with cleanly clocked bits. But if you have a pair of 63s, why not have a go at it?

i2s(e) for redbook CD

Yes. With minimal or no glue logic you should be able to feed most digital filters. Find a copy of the manual for the Sonic Frontiers Processor 3 or the now defunct Parts Connection 3.1 converter if you don't have a copy of the i2se standard. Dunno about any of Perp Tech's stuff, as I have avoided it since the hype alarms went off...

Rant warning. My opinions below, which are by no means golden, they just work for me.

The question begging to be asked is, are you sure you want to? Although technically/objectively it appears to be a good thing to add a DF to the path, subjectively it is not usually the best sounding. Except for the HDCD Pacific Microsonics PMD 100/200, I have yet to hear a setup where non-oversampling 1x didn't sound more involving, musical. Granted, some of the difference is less system noise in the simpler non-oversampled topology, one needs to use opto/galvanic isolators between the filter and DAC chips to isolate ground noise generated by all the CMOS level activity within the filter chip. But, there are still amusical artifices from most DFs that once you recognise them, are hard to tune out. A gentle slope DF is better, but again, at that point, the question is why not just go direct to 1x non-oversampling, at least for DIY, since the DF is at that point mostly acting as glue logic for interfacing but adding system noise and artifacts?

Hi! I need help!

To Elso Kwak:
Can you send me the pdf(207 to convert I2S to Sony/Burr-Brown format). I want to build a DAC with PCM 58 or TDA1540 with CS8412CP . But i want to know how seperate the "I2S"-Signals for the "Left"- and the "Right"-Channel. And Can I remove digital filter?
And I need the datasheet of BB PCM58
my email: nguyenhoanglinh@yahoo.com
Please help me! Thanks you very much!

Re: The easy way out...

wildmonkeysects said:
...is to find a Philips/Signetics TDA 1541/A. 16 bits, i2s straight in, no glue logic required, unipolar current out, so like the BB 63, can be used with a cascode out topology feeding a resistor and tranny or cap for passive I/V.
Perfect for 1fs non-oversampled apps.
Even with all the newcomers around, the 63 and the 1541 are still my favorites, but I have not tried the 63 with 16 "raw" bits.
I am not sure if the BB 63 needs "zero stuffing" for the unused bits 17 - 20, or if it fully resets on negative edges of the latch enable pin. One would presume the latter, but you never know till trying it. The app from ELSO would also function here. Would you care to be the brave volunteer? Otherwise, the 1541 is cabable of quite good sonics when fed clean, stiff power along with cleanly clocked bits. But if you have a pair of 63s, why not have a go at it?

G'day WMS,

WRT PCM63 vs TDA1541 in 0 x OS, we have this on dwg board
currently. I have a feeling the '63 will win, all else being equal,
it's a very good dak.
Lots of other projects though so don't hold your breath.

Cheers,

Terry

Re: Re: The easy way out...

Terry Demol said:

G'day WMS,

WRT PCM63 vs TDA1541 in 0 x OS, we have this on dwg board
currently. I have a feeling the '63 will win, all else being equal,
it's a very good dak.
Lots of other projects though so don't hold your breath.

Cheers,

Terry

Will the PCM63 design address the interchannel delay?

ray.

Re: I2s to Sony/Burr-brown format conversion

Elso Kwak said:
Hi,
The BB chips expects data in the binary two's complement (BTC) format with the most significant bit (MSB) being first in the serial input bitstream.
On the Analog Devices website was a application note number 207 to convert I2S to Sony/Burr-Brown format. Unfortunately this Application Note is no longer on there website but I can send you the original PDF file.
Basically the latch is shifted one bit period with D-type flipflops and some ports.
For the PCM 63 you have to shift more probably to make use of the MSB's of the 20bit PCM 63.
The Application Note also takes care of the left/right seperation of the channels.
The AD1865 DACchip is more easy to use with this scheme, but also requires 2 bit periods extra shift as it is a 18bit DAC as opposed to the 16 bit AD1851 DAC in the Application Note.
If you wish to receive the Application Note send me a email and I will reply with the PDF-file as attachment.

Hallo Elso,
it happens I have a old Monarchy DAC, using PCM63K. I'd like to add a USB input to the DAC, possibly keeping the option to switch to plain SPDIF input (for comparison). Would it be possible for you to mail me the mentioned application data?

Many thanks,

Stefano

Re: Hi! I need help!

i always thought the pcm58 was a pretty good dac.
datasheet can be found here:
http://katalog.elektroda.net/indx1100.html
good luck,
mlloyd1

nhlinh said:
To Elso Kwak:
Can you send me the pdf(207 to convert I2S to Sony/Burr-Brown format). I want to build a DAC with PCM 58 or TDA1540 with CS8412CP . But i want to know how seperate the "I2S"-Signals for the "Left"- and the "Right"-Channel. And Can I remove digital filter?
And I need the datasheet of BB PCM58
my email: nguyenhoanglinh@yahoo.com
Please help me! Thanks you very much!

Can this I2S board connect to 2x PCM63 directly?

Pin18 clock and pin 21 data

How to

Attachments

• IMG_7858.jpg
    IMG_7858.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.