iPod I2S hack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The threads on SD card readers & ultimate sound source, address the task of minimising electronic noise by using solid state storage & maximising audio fidelity. But these offerings while reportedly sounding very good are also weak in the area of the user interface.

So why not start with a unit that has a good interface & uses solid state & modify it for I2S out? The iPod/iPhone/iTouch is one such device & I'm sure there are many others. There is a site here devoted to modding the iPod The Collected diyMods - Jonathan P. Le

Has anybody here successfully taken I2S out of an iPod yet?

Just do a Google serach for iPodLinux :) (Podzilla is just the UI for iPodLinux) http://www.ehow.com/how_5561819_put-podzilla-ipod.html

It's confirmed that iPodLinux can record to the iPod at 96KHz (don't know about bit rate) so the hardware can support this samplerate - it's just a matter of whether the playback downsamples it?

iPod-Linux
The Extras are among the strongest offerings in iPL, with professional-grade sound recording at 96KHz, a broad selection of well implemented games, and a rather neat collection of Stuff, which demonstrate the rendering capabilities of Podzilla with applications like Matrix and MandelPod
Certainly there is nothing particular about Linux versus Apple's OS, that would make it inherently more capable of performing video playback or 96KHz audio recording. Rather it seems Apple intentionally limited the implementation of more advanced multimedia capabilities on the iPod platform

SO a bonus I wasn't expecting - recording - don't know how good these would turn out (I'm not that interested in recording)

Last edited:
Try googling for the wadia itransport. It takes the digital signal from the ipod and outputs it. I just learned about it. Its got a remote too.

Wadia iTransport = a PCM2706 USB receiver so not the best solution - taking I2S from within the iPod should be a better solution!

Haven't got my hands on a donor iPod yet - anybody have one that's broken & wishes to donate?

I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this or have experimented with it (there must be a lot of broken iPods out there?). Some have said that the weak link will be the jitter but I don't think anybody has measured the clock jitter of the iPod! I don't know how the audio clock is generated, does anybody?

Even though it may not be the last word in jitter specs, jitter is not the whole story in how audio sounds - I would cite the following as important elements of the proposed iPod config:
- operating from solid state storage (an exchangeable SD card after removing the hard disk)
- avoiding a noisy PC PS - of course this assumes the iPod PS is quiet which may not be the case
- ability to playback WAV files at 96KHz

Is this for certain?I ask because it's so simple of a solution why( until recently atleast) has Wadia been the only one to do so?

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's PCM2706 - the reason Wadia has been the only one is because it requires an agreement with Apple (& royalty payments, I presume) & to supply an Apple ID chip which enables USB delivery to the Dock connector!

Can't find the link but it's discussed on the Headfi or Computeraudio forum

The USB output may not be a bad solution but it's not available to DIY by mere mortals like ourselves :)

Last edited:
Yep, I'm pretty sure it's PCM2706 - the reason Wadia has been the only one is because it requires an agreement with Apple (& royalty payments, I presume) & to supply an Apple ID chip which enables USB delivery to the Dock connector!

Can't find the link but it's discussed on the Headfi or Computeraudio forum

The USB output may not be a bad solution but it's not available to DIY by mere mortals like ourselves :)
Ah thanks jk,its the licensing agreement with Apple thats the likely stumbling block.:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes but have you seen the prices for BROKEN classic ipods = 100+ euro?? I'm not interested in paying these sort of prices for something that is possibly unfixable !! 50 euro would be my max

I would take a look at U.S. eBay and see if prices aren't a little more reasonable. A lot of U.S. sellers will ship overseas.. I've bought older working ones in the past for less than 100 euros.. FYI: Brand new 8GB Nanos directly from Apple are under 105 euros here..

FWIW I wouldn't expect anyone to sell you one for significantly less than the typical asking price on eBay unless you are fortunate enough to run into someone who has one and is interested in helping you out. You never know..

When you mention classic iPods do you mean the Classic 80GB/160GB or just older iPods in general? At those prices a new Nano might make more sense.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.