iPod I2S hack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see this thread has not been answered in a while, so I am going to revive it by saying that I just took apart my used 30GB ipod video, did some component upgrades, then accidentally shorted it out and created a dead short in one of the power regulators.

I bought a new one with a bad battery from a friend and successfully bypassed the output relay circuit, installed a very large lithium ion battery and switched most of the cheap tantalum capacitors out for film caps and Nichicon audio grade ones.

The results were amazing and still have a volume control!!!! :D

Excellent, crazyabtTubes (this is as far from tubes as you can get :)). I'd love to hear some details as my daughter has just donated her 30GB ipod video to me & I was thinking of opening it up at some point & having a go. BUT first I wanted to check if it was worth te effort - what are you comparing the sound to?

red wine ipod mod / rockbox

I thought Vinnie at Red wine some how extracted the digital out from the ipod before it hit the dac.

I've just installed rockbox on my ipod 30g video, and I'm happy I don't have to sync it with itunes (because I've got multiple ipods, and syncing is a hassle with multiple units...)

Anyways, I'd be interested in figuring out how maybe to get rockbox-linux on some other hardware where there might not be these dac limitations.

I think an ipod is a bad place to start. there are others there, like iRiver with alot more potential.

The i2s stream from an iPod looks the same as the iRiver. The main reason for this is the use of the interface.

iPods can play lossless too but an Apple format called ALAC and that has .m4a file extension.

I happen to have a broken iPod nano 2nd gen. The usb connection is broken so I can't change the music on it. It charges and plays music fine. I'm willing to donate it if the shipping will be under $10.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.