My NAD C515BEE is finished.............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be more concerned in the quality of the capacitors in the power supply lines. Upgrading these can be very cost effective. I personally like the Rubycon ZL caps a lot (for their lifetime too).

Every single cap in the player has been replaced with Rubycon ZA's, apart from the opamp and dac reg decoupling caps which are Panasonic FC's and on the digital side with Sanyo Oscons.

Yes, meaning a budget player. I think the CS4398 has a small performance margin over the CS4392, that would only be exploited in very optimised (thus rather expensive) designs. Someone with a better technical preparation than mine might confirm or deny though :)

Thanks for your explanation, I thought that's what you meant.

If you were to start a new project, what player would you go for??

Every single cap in the player has been replaced with Rubycon ZA's, apart from the opamp and dac reg decoupling caps which are Panasonic FC's and on the digital side with Sanyo Oscons.

Ok, so you're fine. Even more good reason not to change the regulators, I think...

Were it me, I'd do some more experimenting with the opamps instead. The OPA1612 would be worth trying, perhaps also the AD8599. But I see that you have drilled the bottom panel for the TO99 LME's so maybe it's better to leave it like that.

Last edited:
The cs4392 is a differential voltage out chip, that would make it a candidate for output transformers. Its output is basically equal to the supply voltage. If it is powered by 5v it has a 5v p-p output, or 3.3v p-p if so powered, plenty to drive trafos.
There are a couple threads about using trafos with dac chips, check them out.

I wouldn't do such a savage modification to any player.

First I don't trust transformers and they're expensive; second you can never know what is happening above the audio range, if there's anything that could damage your speakers over time...

I will never touch the output stage circuitry of a given digital to analog converter, except replacing the opamps with what to me sounds best, and possibly make small circuit adjustments for the new opamp. Other than that, I'd only possibly replace parts with better quality replacements.

Also, I reaaaallly don't see what's wrong in the way the better opamps of today sound, not only, to me they're awesome sounding...

Last edited:
It's a matter of principle: it's a waste of output stages. :p Also, I find it a bit narrow minded to think that opamps are limited. I know opamps that aren't limited at all. Use these and you'll certain improve any player that uses the usual, "generic" audio opamps. LT1028, OPA1611, OPA211, ADA4627, LME49723...

You are missing the entire point. Why use redundant circuitry to obtain the same signal that you started with. All you have done with the opamps is lower the output impedence, but you have also introduced so much negative feedback into the circuit that the phase coherency is tremendously impaired. You are not listening to the player or dac, you are listening to the flavor of the opamps, and I agree they all sound different. Personally, I choose to listen to the music. I eliminated all opamps from my entire system years ago.

Everything sounds different: a cable from the other, an opamp from the other, a capacitor from the other, a transformer from the other, a DAC chip from the other.....

If you eliminated opamps years ago, I'm not surprised that you don't know what I was talking about when I spoke of opamps that aren't limited/limiting.

What to do?????

Well, I'm stuck. I don't know what to do so I would appreciate any opinions.

My options are:

1. I'm thinking about starting a fresh project with a new Marantz CD6003 and PM6003 combo, I see no reason to spend the extra and go for the Ki as most of his work would probably be undone anyhow. Then start playing with them (alot).

or

2. Stick with the NADs and see what can be done with the unused cash from not buying the Marantz duo.

Any opinions???

Well, I'm stuck. I don't know what to do so I would appreciate any opinions.

My options are:

1. I'm thinking about starting a fresh project with a new Marantz CD6003 and PM6003 combo, I see no reason to spend the extra and go for the Ki as most of his work would probably be undone anyhow. Then start playing with them (alot).

or

2. Stick with the NADs and see what can be done with the unused cash from not buying the Marantz duo.

Any opinions???
Do you like your modified C515BEE's sound quality? That is the question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.