Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

@ Stixx - There are compatible CD mechanisms that do not require a puck (they use a 3-ball laptop-style CD mounting):
SANYO LASER LENS SF-P101N DA11B3VF (16P) W/MECHANISM SFP101N | eBay
This mechanism is also considered to sound better than the boombox one.

Yep, I know... I have one of those already but liked the idea to have a precision puck made... or maybe made of Delrin instead...my trademark for volume knobs ;)

Attachments

• puck1.jpg
    puck1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 581
  • puck2.jpg
    puck2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 561
  • puck3.jpg
    puck3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 563
  • P1010126.JPG
    P1010126.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 526
  • P1010128.jpg
    P1010128.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 514
  • P1010129.jpg
    P1010129.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
This is an aluminum puck.
Maybe this goes into production but that is just to wait and see.
Also the price will be cheaper that what I've paid. (150 Euro)

Here's a video about the "Shigaclone" the music was a bit too loud, also with the 3-ball laptop-style CD mounting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pkmtH0058&context=C31aecb4ADOEgsToPDskKSqSDmRZ69PPqvcxdS6fJE

Regards,
Rudy

Rudy, do you think your supplier would be able to make a wooden puck for me if I provide a suitable wood piece?

uncle_leon
NOMDI x 3
syklab x 2
apoopoo999 US
CeeVee x 2
Lucylu
pchw x 2 US
Turbon x 2
DaveM US
Praudio Canada
kamaths US
timjac41
dillmeister x 2 Canada
BMW850 x 2
Erik van Voorst x 2
JimS x 2 US
IndyAudi x 3
ChicagoJTW US
tubo x 2
quan x1
Ivo-Cici x2
Pjotr27
Stixx
vgeorge
ilrapa x 2
sandbasser x 2 US
Angcl x 2
JBdV x 2
andrewgm x 1
zjaakco x 2
Tony X x2
buzzforb US
skippyboy
rikkert1978
valo
Ed LaFontaine x 2 US
Puffin x2 (depending on cost)
BTW x 2
marcus1 X 2
rchomeless
Jean-Charles
Tham
ColinAlex
C12mech
secanbj x2
geoteam 777
RKH x2
lugia862 x5
some friends outside seems to be interested as well

Another wood turner here. When I can get to my lathe again I have several different woods to try out. I bought a couple of pieces of ebony when I was home last year for this exact project. I'm going to use the drawing that Peter referenced. I'm not sure how economical it would be to make these. After I do one I will know.

tvicol
uncle_leon
NOMDI x 3
syklab x 2
apoopoo999 US
CeeVee x 2
Lucylu
pchw x 2 US
Turbon x 2
DaveM US
Praudio Canada
kamaths US
timjac41
dillmeister x 2 Canada
BMW850 x 2
Erik van Voorst x 2
JimS x 2 US
IndyAudi x 3
ChicagoJTW US
tubo x 2
quan x1
Ivo-Cici
Pjotr27
Stixx
vgeorge
ilrapa x 2
sandbasser x 2 US
Angcl x 2
JBdV x 2
andrewgm x 1
zjaakco x 2
Tony X x2
buzzforb US
skippyboy
rikkert1978
valo
Ed LaFontaine x 2 US
Turbon
BTW x 2
marcus1 X 2
jnewbold

The thing to do with the puck is to have them cnc machined. I think plastic is the way to go for a group buy. Wood is going to tend to move after being cut and many machinists don't like to have the moisture on their machines. If I were doing this for myself alone, I might take a piece of ebony or hard rock maple, rough it into shape and then put it in a jar of tung oil for a couple months. That will guarentee it won't move once finished. But for a group buy, that isn't reasonable. The last thing we want is people without a lathe getting a puck for $100 that turns to junk as it dries and they have no way of fixing. Delrin is considered a replacement for metal when cost, corrosion and weight are concerns. It is also known for being very dimensionally stable. That would be my suggestion, as nobody wants a GB gone bad.

tvicol
uncle_leon
NOMDI x 3
syklab x 2
apoopoo999 US
CeeVee x 2
Lucylu
pchw x 2 US
Turbon x 2
DaveM US
Praudio Canada
kamaths US
timjac41
dillmeister x 2 Canada
BMW850 x 2
Erik van Voorst x 2
JimS x 2 US
IndyAudi x 3
ChicagoJTW US
tubo x 2
quan x1
Ivo-Cici
Pjotr27
Stixx
vgeorge
ilrapa x 2
sandbasser x 2 US
Angcl x 2
JBdV x 2
andrewgm x 1
zjaakco x 2
Tony X x2
buzzforb US
skippyboy
rikkert1978
valo
Ed LaFontaine x 2 US
Turbon
BTW x 2
marcus1 X 2
jnewbold

TheGimp - One, possibly 2 depending on price

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The thing to do with the puck is to have them cnc machined. I think plastic is the way to go for a group buy. Wood is going to tend to move after being cut and many machinists don't like to have the moisture on their machines. If I were doing this for myself alone, I might take a piece of ebony or hard rock maple, rough it into shape and then put it in a jar of tung oil for a couple months. That will guarentee it won't move once finished. But for a group buy, that isn't reasonable. The last thing we want is people without a lathe getting a puck for $100 that turns to junk as it dries and they have no way of fixing. Delrin is considered a replacement for metal when cost, corrosion and weight are concerns. It is also known for being very dimensionally stable. That would be my suggestion, as nobody wants a GB gone bad.

Would vote for Delrin absolutley.

The price being asked for a puck is ....( being polite ) a little steep :D.