Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2008, 02:44 PM   #961
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Puffin,
If it's like the RCEZ32 version it should be marked right on the board.
Let us know how it sounds - the specs were not too promising looking which is why I have not tried it so far. (Plus I built it as a companion to my new dac.) Who knows though, earlier versions of the Shigaraki have occasionally been modified to bring the audio out, and apparently they sound fairly good.

I thought the orange wire on pin 1 odd too, I think it is just there to reduce the likelihood of incorrect insertion on the soldered end during assembly.

I don't believe you need to make any additional connections for power either. The DAC is part of the DSP chip and unless you deliberately deleted the analog supply to that part of the chip it should be plug and play.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:13 PM   #962
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Kevinkr. I'll give it a go and report back
Old 16th May 2008, 09:19 PM   #963
PAM is offline PAM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default clamp

I do have the possibility to make a lot of clamp at a low price. CNC lathe. The only problem I have is the fit of the 2 mm centre hole. The normal ISO fit can be a problem with the PMMA plastic.
The centre hole of a CD is 15 mm +0,1 -0,0 mm.

Peter
Old 16th May 2008, 11:58 PM   #964
joir is offline joir  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Default audio out

Hi, Puffin

Your pinout is correct (well the orange wire is L-Ch). I connected my rig this way for testing and it worked OK, but I have not removed the choke (nor any other component).

According to the schematic you should be able to remove the choke and connect the PSU there but it seems to me that some components are actually connected to the ground on the "connector side" of the choke (C967 f.ex.). So maybe it it could be a good idea to put a jumper in place of the ground part of the choke. I don´t believe that anything would be damaged if run without the jumper, its just always so much nicer to trace and figure out what you disconnect

I have not still connected the rig to any decent system so I cannot judge the sound.

Joi
Old 17th May 2008, 09:39 AM   #965
diyAudio Member

Well it's playing at the moment. The power in as I had configured it to use as a transoprt powers the Dac, without any additional juice.

I will put it into my main system later and see what it sounds like. Early indications are very favourable
Old 17th May 2008, 05:29 PM   #966
diyAudio Member

Up-date. Not a patch on the sound when used as a transport coupled with my heavily modified Digit Dac. However it has no cap mods.
Old 17th May 2008, 10:22 PM   #967
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin
Up-date. Not a patch on the sound when used as a transport coupled with my heavily modified Digit Dac. However it has no cap mods.

Hi Puffin,
Not to be obtuse or anything but someone (me) on this side of the Atlantic might be puzzled by your comment - what exactly does that mean?
Old 18th May 2008, 01:58 AM   #968
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I try to follow Okapi PDF recipe. There are no brand for the caps on the transport board. What do you use. Here is my shopping list, tell me what you think (it is not ordered now, so please feel free to comment).

Main transport
E1 10uF BG N 50V pcX
E2 33uF BG N 16V pcX
E3 4.7uF BG PK 50V pcX
E4 4.7uF BG PK 50V pcX
E5 47uF BG N 50V pcX
E6 ???
E7 Citizen 300-8441 crystal from DK 300-8441-ND
A1 Riken 75R pcX
A2 caddock mk132 pcX

I don't know what to do with the E6, help...

PSU
LM7808CT-ND digikey
PSU cap bg std 1000/25 pcX
PSU cap bg fk 2200/35 pcX
MSR860G digikey
HM548-ND digikey transfo

Do I miss something?

P.S. Sorry for the double post, I think my first attempt came in the middle of a very interesting trend on a beutiful clamp...
Old 18th May 2008, 02:12 AM   #969
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The picture represent my original changes:

Click the image to open in full size.

As you see, all caps are BG N, but of course other types will work fine too. As I suggested before, don't change those caps right away, build PS first, get the idea of the sound and then slowly change caps on main board one by one, monitiring the changes. Some people preferred not to change any of caps here.

There's an error in pdf file for E6, that cap is 0.1uF originally, I changed it for ERO 47nF and presently use 10nF (ERO 1830)

Your PS component list looks OK.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th May 2008, 08:12 AM   #970
diyAudio Member

kevinkr. The EZ31 I was using is completely standard, nothing removed, nothing up-graded.

In comparison to a Sony Playstation1 and a 2 other stand-alone CD players, I felt the sound quality was just about average and in no way as good as when used as a transport and separate Dac.

QED (a U.K company) manufactured a Dac in the early 90's called the Digit. This is what I use as a Dac.

Does this clarify things ?

Hide this!Advertise here!