Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 570 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2012, 02:43 PM   #5691
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Transistors and low noise 2,5V reference regulator arrived today.

Prices are as follow:
2SA608NF - $0.88 or 0.66euro
2SB764E - $0.84 or 0.64euro
2SA1342 - $0.66 or 0.45euro
ADP151AUJZ-2.5-R7 - $1.00 or 0.76euro

Regards,
Tibi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-23-080.jpg (340.1 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by tvicol; 23rd March 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:44 PM   #5692
diyAudio Member

I seem to remember a discussion in this thread regarding the 3 ball chuck versus puck comparison. It seemed at the time like the preference (sonically) was for the puck model.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:52 PM   #5693
diyAudio Member

BTW, I encourage others to look at this thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site-...-feedback.html

I already put in a suggestion for a 1/2 rack wide version, which I think would be ideal for this project. Just need a recommendation on the height. I know those in EU and especially the East have somewhat better access to DIY enclosures. In the U.S., by the time shipping and whatnot is added to those nice enclosures available from China or Taiwan the price can get a bit high.

I know there are some U.S. based DIY enclosure providers, but I haven't found anything yet as such that I think would work nicely.
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:19 PM   #5694
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post

I already put in a suggestion for a 1/2 rack wide version, which I think would be ideal for this project. Just need a recommendation on the height. I know those in EU and especially the East have somewhat better access to DIY enclosures. In the U.S., by the time shipping and whatnot is added to those nice enclosures available from China or Taiwan the price can get a bit high.

I know there are some U.S. based DIY enclosure providers, but I haven't found anything yet as such that I think would work nicely.
Those prices are still expensive. I can build an enclosure equivalent to the 5u enclosure out of 1/8" and 1/4" thick aluminum plate for $100. I know a guy that will machine cut or waterjet any shape you need. I also have a guy that will cnc beautiful wood face panels with painted lettering and engraved logos. They are U.S. based so shipping is inexpensive. Anyone interested can contact me for their info.
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:26 PM   #5695
diyAudio Member

Default Should we start a Shigaclone "enclosure" discussion?

Wow, that sounds great. I wonder, if enough U.S. based people were interested, whether it would make sense to work out what a decent enclosure size and construction would be. Would your friend be able to machine cut and water jet the parts so we could then put it together ourseleves?
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:29 PM   #5696
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Oh, yes, Hi-Fi 2000 stuff Made in Bologna

Quote:
I already put in a suggestion for a 1/2 rack wide version
They already have a quasi 1/2 rack size, actually 230mm wide (210mm inside).
It's called Galaxy (height 40 mm) or Galaxy Maggiorato (height 80mm)

Check the website: modushop.biz
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:33 PM   #5697
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow, that sounds great. I wonder, if enough U.S. based people were interested, whether it would make sense to work out what a decent enclosure size and construction would be. Would your friend be able to machine cut and water jet the parts so we could then put it together ourseleves?
The guy I know does not offer built enclosures, he only supplies aluminum cut to your specs. You must give him measurements or a template. You can even include the specific location of holes for screws and iec sockets.
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:50 PM   #5698
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Oh, yes, Hi-Fi 2000 stuff Made in Bologna

They already have a quasi 1/2 rack size, actually 230mm wide (210mm inside).
It's called Galaxy (height 40 mm) or Galaxy Maggiorato (height 80mm)

Check the website: modushop.biz
Much as I think a beautiful Italian enclsoure would be nice (yes, my last name has a vowel at the end too!), if we in the USA can work something for less money I think that might be more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoopoo999 View Post
The guy I know does not offer built enclosures, he only supplies aluminum cut to your specs. You must give him measurements or a template. You can even include the specific location of holes for screws and iec sockets.
Right, I guess that's what I was thinking. We spec out the enclosure, including holes for assembly and through components. Parts get produced; we put them together.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:00 PM   #5699
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Much as I think a beautiful Italian enclsoure would be nice (yes, my last name has a vowel at the end too!), if we in the USA can work something for less money I think that might be more attractive.

Right, I guess that's what I was thinking. We spec out the enclosure, including holes for assembly and through components. Parts get produced; we put them together.
How about an eclosure that has an aluminum top plate mahogany sides and a copper base. I dont think it can be 1/2 rack there wont be enough room for the transformers and shunt regulators. Since its top loading, we should just design a custom size. Or we can even make a seperate housing for the power supplies. This way you wont need to take the whole cd player apart if you want to make changes to the regulators.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:35 PM   #5700
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoopoo999 View Post
How about an eclosure that has an aluminum top plate mahogany sides and a copper base. I dont think it can be 1/2 rack there wont be enough room for the transformers and shunt regulators. Since its top loading, we should just design a custom size. Or we can even make a seperate housing for the power supplies. This way you wont need to take the whole cd player apart if you want to make changes to the regulators.
I like it. I think I'd also agree with maybe keeping the supplies in a separate case.

Hide this!Advertise here!