Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi uncle Leon, Thanks for the reply. I recently discovered bing AI , its perfect for letting it search forums and sum up the posts that are made. Already gathered some crucial information already, but not all ;-) Its amazing what this little transport can sound like when adding a clock and doing some basic mods. Some years ago I started it, but never finished it. So its a project on rivive :)

It's an amazing project to be sure and I'm glad that it's still alive.
I would advise caution with AI though. They are constantly improving but a while back I asked ChatGPT to describe Shigaclone project based on the diyaudio forums and it gave me some fundamentally wrong facts in the answer, such as that it uses Philips CD-PRO2LF transport. It is best to ask AI to provide a direct link to the source, or perhaps instruct it to quote the relevant posts verbatim, just to be sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Good day
Dear ITiberius
I can t find the new design
Only old versions have in internet
few days for redesign and draws:eek:

What you think about old boards with new mods ?

1713427561570.png

I correcting yours draws with new mods

Thanks

P.s neverend ShigaClone never die project ..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
"an affordable CD Transport".

I understand that some may find this awkward, but it's not said to wind others up. Having a range of CD players (that can be used as just a transport), and some conventional CD transports, many of which have readily available (even today) mechs or have mechs that last as long as the sun. What is the attraction, (or ever was) of using parts from a low end boom box that history said would only be in production for a short time, that does not have suitable casework, PSU, user interface, or supporting electronics etc?

I don't get it.

I would say though that not having read all of the thread, I can see that there is clearly some wonderful, world class work here. I just wonder how it would have improved an already "OK" factory made unit.

Is this possibly the jumping off point for another thread on such a topic? "Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

As I said, this question is not asked so as to offend.