Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

There are plethora of parts that may generate this behaviour. It is very hard to diagnose without good tools.
I'll try to give some indications:
1. Check optical cable and connectors CN901. These may oxidate and generate such problems.
2. Check power supply voltage and noise. Voltage must be around 8V. What matter most is noise. This must be under 100mV. If there is noise, replace 7808 and/or electrolytic capacitors. Use an oscilloscope.
3. Check voltage after board regulator made with Q902 and IC903, see pin 11. This must be 5V +/-100mV. Noise must be very low, under 5mV. You may increase C952 to 1000uF/16V and replace C916 to a low ESR/ESL like Rubycon ZA/ZL, Oscon, Polymer etc.
4. Laser noise may be affected by C932 = 47uF. Use a low voltage, top quality cap here, with very low leakage. You may increase this to 100uF. Tantal or Organic Polymer.
5. Check if any pcb trace is oxidated or broken. Original JVC PCB is extremely low quality. Use a multimeter to measure thin traces.
6. Original JVC board make use of a ceramic resonator. This is very jittery and will degrade fast. Replace X901 or use an external low jitter clock.

There are other parts that may induce "no TOC" behaviour, but this are main ones. Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Tibi

There are plethora of parts that may generate this behaviour. It is very hard to diagnose without good tools.
I'll try to give some indications:
1. Check optical cable and connectors CN901. These may oxidate and generate such problems.
2. Check power supply voltage and noise. Voltage must be around 8V. What matter most is noise. This must be under 100mV. If there is noise, replace 7808 and/or electrolytic capacitors. Use an oscilloscope.
3. Check voltage after board regulator made with Q902 and IC903, see pin 11. This must be 5V +/-100mV. Noise must be very low, under 5mV. You may increase C952 to 1000uF/16V and replace C916 to a low ESR/ESL like Rubycon ZA/ZL, Oscon, Polymer etc.
4. Laser noise may be affected by C932 = 47uF. Use a low voltage, top quality cap here, with very low leakage. You may increase this to 100uF. Tantal or Organic Polymer.
5. Check if any pcb trace is oxidated or broken. Original JVC PCB is extremely low quality. Use a multimeter to measure thin traces.
6. Original JVC board make use of a ceramic resonator. This is very jittery and will degrade fast. Replace X901 or use an external low jitter clock.

There are other parts that may induce "no TOC" behaviour, but this are main ones. Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Tibi
Thanks Tibi
Already have a citizen clock installed and power supply cap upgraded before. All voltages are ok.
Poor quality PCB may be the cause. May not be able to find
the fault or oxidized part.

20220608_221332.jpg
20220529_181955.jpg
This is shigariki clone by me.Think i do every thing is pasible to do, or even more. Cd have oven controled clock , coaxial out can be recloced or not, by one button. Thinkig about laser mechanism instalation. On bottom i have 6mm steel plate and mechanism is connected on threated rollels, two off them. On oposite sites. So connection is very stiff. Mayby better will be to add something soft? Raboon or gell spencers? Very thanks for helping me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, on the subject of tracking issues or the transport not reading correctly when using serperate powersupplies:

I modded the PCB to have 8 volt for the motors and 5 volt, as the method discribed in this thread (cut 5 volt line to chips). After this my transport did not read discs well. It was very bad.

Then I connected the grounds of my 2 regulators. And voila no more tracking issues.

When I dont connect the new 5 volt line, the transport does not power up. Meaning that the trace was cut succesfully.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Has anyone supplied different chips with 5 volt and did it work without connecting grounds on the regulator that were fed by different transformers??

*My account has been locked for some reason i have 0 persmission to post, reply, or to message anyone. Had to make a new account. Moderators?

Hi Rikkert, I believe Tibi Vicol did extensive tests with powering Shiga with up to 5 separate regs - this was possible on the new PCB the he designed with our help. He ended up not recommending using this many regs, although I have no exact memory as to why. Perhaps he will be so kind as to explain this further, or maybe have a search through the thread. There is a ton of great info here, just buried below heaps of posts with no lasting value.