Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi guys, just a quick note on power supply regs:
In standard form, the shig receives 8V. This voltage, which can be supplied off a super reg, feeds the motors. It is also used by one of the chips to create a seperate 5v output, which feeds stuff like processors etc

What I have done, using one of Peter's recent photo's, is cut the 5v link and fed this from a alwsr reg. The 8v is fed from a standard LM317

What I would still like to do is feed VREF from a JohnW reg

FWIW

But then you're feeding the full rectified voltage to the reg, bypassing the pre reg...... Is it OK to feed ~16-17V directly to it for 8V out?

I use two separate transformers, the voltage to 5V regulator is much smaller (around 10V or so). Most regulators will handle higher input voltages, the biggest problem is current draw, but the 5V circuitry shouldn't draw much.

I changes for example a LM7805 for a ALWSR and I let this configuration so it is.

When I switched to shunt 5V regulator, I use 2200/15R/2200 BG FK before regulator and only 10uF (BG NX) after regulator. I find that large caps do not work well with quality discreet regulators.

A note about ALWSR everybody seem to fancy here, while it's fine regulator, it is not spectacular.

They could be relatively small, but still not as small as the one I'm using, which is mounted directly on the board.

Attachments

• cdm.jpg
    cdm.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 551
Peter Daniel;2518238 A note about ALWSR everybody seem to fancy here, while it's fine regulator, it is not spectacular

Hi Peter,

There are much choises in regulators why have you chosen this one.
Have you test also other brands or is this the only one you test in the Shigaclone?
I know, nobody can test "ALL" brands because this is to expensive.

I ask this because finised products are easy to use for the most people, the only negative is they are very expensive.

What do you all think of the Sallas regulator, you find that reg here on the forum?

Regards,
Rudy

Last edited:
There are much choices in regulators why have you chosen this one.
Have you test also other brands or is this the only one you test in the Shigaclone?
I know, nobody can test "ALL" brands because this is to expensive.

I ask this because finished products are easy to use for the most people, the only negative is they are very expensive.

What do you all think of the Sallas regulator, you find that reg here on the forum?

I'm not the type of person who needs to try everything, I also almost never measure anything.

When it comes to regulators, to me the sound is most important, and regulators, as well as raw power supplies, behave exactly the same way as any other audio circuit. Which means they add their own signature and with parts selection can be tweaked to deliver desired "effect".

Over the last two years we've been working with Bobken on optimizing my NOS DAC circuit. Many changes have been introduced (mostly simplification of existing circuit) with special attention to parts choices and of course implementation of discreet regulators. I posted pics of my latest prototypes here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/3840-beaty-p2p-wiring-4.html#post2412552

We've been using highly optimized series regulator initially and later switched to the shunt one, and that made subtle but important difference. Also, even small changes to parts selection, where influencing sound substantially. In other words, it's not only the circuit, but also the type of parts and caps values that can either make it an average or spectacular sounding regulator. And we've been fiddling with those for at least a year. So when I already had an optimized 5V regulator proven and tested in a DAC, it was only natural to try it with a transport.

When I was developing the phono stage circuit, I also tried ALWSR and teddy regulators, but they didn't sound as good as the shunt I used there. That shunt is somewhat different that 5V reg I used in a DAC , but if you look at the circuit you may notice that configuration is very similar, just different devices were used: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/151938-phono-stage.html#post1928600

That's why when I saw Bobken circuit, I didn't really feel the need to look any further.

As to Salas, I never tried it, however, the need to use heatsinks makes it very inconvenient for small digital circuits.

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 603