Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

gosh is a bad day,,,,,,,
I pluged in my shing a clone and it didn't play right cd had a fast spin,powered off and checked all of it no problems,checked ps 8vdc,powered on again and ic 309 smoked.....^&%%^%^((*&,,,,,,NOW anyone know where I can get a replacement board or ????
All else appears to be ok but that chip is history.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I was actually meaning to post the results of my capacitor tests, but somehow never got round to it... hope they will be useful to someone:

C906

This capacitor (the original C906) should be labelled: “Here be Shigaclone magic”. It is insanely difficult to find anything that could even come close to it.

I first tried substituting it with a 0.1uF Black Gate NX Hi-Q (as we all know, possibly be the best electrolytic capacitor ever made), and while I liked its natural, relaxed tonality, there was no question that it had less of the original C906 “magic”- this ability to tell you who’s playing where and capture those minute reverberations and “live performance” feel.

I also tried a few film capacitors in 0.01uF value, as suggested by some in the original (Polish) Shigaclone thread - none of them worked well though. Even Vishay MKP-1837, a decent film cap by any standards, fell a long way short of the original C906 electrolytic, giving a flat, un-engaging sonic presentation.
The only cap that came close, and even surpassed the original in some ways was a 0.01uF/400V Multicap RTX. It actually gave slightly more resolution, although the presentation was a bit “in your face”, and it didn’t sound all that natural to me either, so I reverted to the original C906, and that’s what I’m still using.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Final Notes

Please keep in mind that these are my personal observations and your mileage may vary.
[/SIZE]

Hi

Did someone try to bypass the original caps with bgnx 0.1uf ?

And this is my reference Shiga transport which I have recently revitalized with new regulators, few different caps and better external supply. It's sounds pretty, pretty good

Hallo Peter,

Please tell us witch 5 volt regulator you use for the Shigaclone now.
I know in the past you have done that before and was not a success, what is the different in sound now that makes this your Reference Shiga Transport.

And you use also different caps and a better external supply, please tell us more about this unit.

Regards,
Rudy

Both the regulator and external PS was taken from my recent DAC upgrade.

The external PS consists of two Hammond transformers (smaller for 5V, the bigger for motors). Both transformers are CT with 2 x MSR860 and BG FK 2200/35 per circuit.

I also use custom built umbilical cable. That cable has similar effect as interconnects, and the better it's made, the more it enhances the 'sound' of the the supply.

The shunt type regulator was developed by Bobken, specifically for TDA1543 DAC, however, it should work well with other digital circuits.

Attachments

• reg1.jpg
    reg1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,263
  • PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,256
  • PS2.jpg
    PS2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 1,168
  • PS3.jpg
    PS3.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,113
  • PS4.jpg
    PS4.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 1,117
Previously, I had reservations with regards to some veiling when mods were done according to pdf prepared by Okapi.

However, recently I took this board again, and did few changes: C906 is replaced by 0.1/600 V-Cap TFTF, C908 by 3n3 Wima FKP2 and two electrolytics (C929 and C939) were replaced by 10uF and 15uF Oscons. Everything else exactly as in Okapi pdf. There is of course discreet 5V regulator and now everything seems to sound fine, very close to TL0. I will do more critical listening tests in a week or two, in other system.

The attached board pic is slightly different, as it does not show Okapi pdf file mods, which I'm still using presently. It shows new caps though and 5V regulator.

Attachments

• cdm.jpg
    cdm.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 779
  • cdm1.jpg
    cdm1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 643
  • pS5.jpg
    pS5.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
Ah, thanks a lot. I think i have to seek to find the okapi pdf file again :-(
Wrong thread but i hope no one will care about that....so whithin the nonos-
mod you´ve put the 2*8V hammond with 2*4MSR and first´lytic in a special
psu housing? Would you mind posting a foto with latest mods on nonos-usb?

Greetings Ulf

toc switch

That's my present setup. I recently installed some foam material around the inside edges of copper/bronze frame to prevent dust collection from underneath the acrylic top. The TOC switch is elegantly installed on a side. The output cable (6ft Belkin Synapse) is soldered directly to resistor divider (300R Vishay/100R Caddock)

Hey Peter,
What is the brand or part number of the toc switch you're using? It's NC but not momentary...correct?