Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 212 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2008, 06:20 AM   #2111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

The key is you will now wire it correctly and this will prevent you having a very exciting moment when you go to plug it into your dac.. I would recommend you pick up the ground from the same connection that the spdif signal is on.. You will see there is 5V, GND and SPDIF all on the 3 pin connector.. Just make sure you get the right connections.

All done!
Old 20th October 2008, 07:19 AM   #2112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst
My Transport already blends in nicely...

Sorry just a little proud...
Very nice Erik and the Shigaclone is not that bad either!
Old 20th October 2008, 07:40 AM   #2113
diyAudio Member

Great Job Fran, but what a strange looking display print did you modify this....

I wish I ran into such a print....it would have taken care of a lot of problems...uhhh...make that challenges...
Old 20th October 2008, 10:23 AM   #2114
diyAudio Member

Display print?

you mean the LCD readout? - its just the standard JVC one! I kept it in its white plastic holder but mounted that to the inside of the case. LED is the standard one too, just have it coming of the supply after the diodes and through a 20k pot for brightness adjustment.

Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds really really good with Peters NOS DAC. I also made up an 8' BNC>>BNC cable but to behonest I couldn't really detect any difference between that and the 8" long one I was using before (and that was BNC>>RCA with an adaptor into Peters DAC). The case is standard 430mm by about 300mm deep and sits nicely on the rack.

Thanks to all for the help so far!

Crystal mods and output cap mods yet to come, and maybe a replacement of the PS supply with Peters one with all blackgates and MSR diodes. Also need to remove the ferrites from the mains lines.

Fran
Old 20th October 2008, 01:07 PM   #2115
diyAudio Member

Here is another enclosure...slightly off topic!

I think it will match you Shigaclone Fran

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th October 2008, 04:00 PM   #2116
diyAudio Member

The guy who photoshopped it must have a great sense of humor .....actually equally as much as the designer....

o so true
we only have 1 button...

Anyway today I mounted my display...the plan came together...
I can now take it off easily by hand if necessary...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displaymounted.jpg (72.8 KB, 1272 views)
Old 21st October 2008, 12:24 AM   #2117
diyAudio Member

Tonight I spent some time changing that c906 output cap between the original one and the ERO one from Peter.

Its amazing just how much difference this cap makes. With the original 'lytic, the midrange, vocals etc are forward, but not as distinct. The sound is warmer, bit more lucious. With the ero cap its a little more refined, with the vocals having more clarity but at the expense of a little bit of warmth and fluidity.

So I'm still a bit undecided on which to live with. I now know what you went though johnm!! I socketed the position so that I can change in and out easily. I also changed the crystal, but to be honest, could not hear any difference with it. I also added some damping material to the frame of the CD mech, also heard no difference.

So my question for those who have changed out the original cap for others, especially the ERO cap:

Did you notice a burn in time, did you notice what I heard and what did you leave in there long term? I'm wondering if some of that fluidity will come back in with time, or should I move on to another cap?

Fran
Old 21st October 2008, 02:21 AM   #2118
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The C906 should be done last, after the voicing of PS and all the other caps on a main board, and after the enclosure is finalized. I use plenty of BG N's so lack of warmth and fluidity was not my concern. That cap is a final touch, sort of icing on a cake

Some people preferred the original cap, some like MIT RTX.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st October 2008, 06:22 AM   #2119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woodturner-fran

So my question for those who have changed out the original cap for others, especially the ERO cap:

Did you notice a burn in time, did you notice what I heard and what did you leave in there long term? I'm wondering if some of that fluidity will come back in with time, or should I move on to another cap?

Fran [/B]
Hi Fran

I noticed the same sonic changes when removing C906 and the crystal. My transport has been running for sometime and I think you will find the sound improves considerably with time.

I have thought about reverting to the original two components over the last couple of days. I suggest you connect it to you main setup and let everything burn in, when you are familiar with the sound replace and compare.

I hope that helps

Richard
Old 21st October 2008, 07:29 AM   #2120
diyAudio Member

I most definetely second Peter''s advice....only in the completion stage you can judge what your final "" voicing"" will be

Hide this!Advertise here!