Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

My shigaclone is up and working, and currently in casing-up purgatory.

One thing I would like to do is use a isolation transformer on the spdif output.

Would it be a case of wiring the transformer directly to the digital outputs, and then connecting the output of the transformer to the relevant connector (75R BNC in my case), and disregarding the 300/90 resistors?

Also, would someone be able to recommend a suitable transformer from ebay/Rapid/Farnell, at least the spec I'm looking for (1:1 ratio, 600R each side --- or something similar perhaps?)

Thanks for your help.

surfstu said:
cheers kevin,

now i will be forever wandering how you know to double check everything before applying power,
i thought this was quite a simple mod, care to share you headaches?

cheers stuart

Hi Stuart!

may I suggest you put in a fuse from the beginning of your work.

My worst headache was to unsolder the small components efficiently. I was using solder wick and I'm not used to. The best suggestion I could give you (that I noticed when I was almost finished) is to use solder paste also, the solder will flow right into the braid and leave the PCB very clean and without damaging it or heating the components.

For listening test you can also use IDE cable and connectors for swapping between values rather to solder and unsolder each time. I have also broken-in in all the 76 capacitors I've purchased for the Shigaclone job. You will save lots of time by doing this and it will be a better experience and your time will be most spent on listening rather than swapping and pausing between A/B....you see.

Check in my pictures, you will also find that the SPDIF resistors have both sides of axial lead hooked to the PCB, the front display led also. This offers a better mechanical fixation.

http://cid-54ea5cde40dc26de.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Shigaclone

Have fun!

leoparleur said:

Audio1st,

Nice work!...as usual! :0)

What kind of wood are you using for the frontplate?

Thanks.

Cheers..

Front is walnut, and now has the display cut into it...

Attachments

• perfcddis.jpg
    perfcddis.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,104
Thanks. They'll be ordered shortly.

Frankly, I'm still stunned that something so crummy looking deserves so much effort.

I'll put aside my disbelief, and I'll build it asap -- This weekend, I'm scarifying my basement floor.

I have finally figured out how to finish it..... it only took a couple years.

I now have in my pocession an illusive ez51-H.

So what surprises am i likley to find whilst dismantling this? I presume i'm just looking for the 2 pcb's that are in all the photos?

I also presume that the remote will not work without more hard work? I'm looking for the simplest solution here, not too bothered about the exercise i get whilst skipping tracks manually.

I don't think i'll be doing any mods yet apart from the psu, and some resistors for the spdif out.

Kevin mention a fuse too, will this be wired after the transformer secondary and before the psu? what size is recommended here?

thanks in advance to those who know a whole lot more than me about electronics!

stuart

If you dismantle it things will become quite clear. Until you build your own 8 V PSU, you will need the mainboard (aka 'audioboard') with a '51.

After building your own PSU, you'll only need the mechanism and the display-/keyboard from the boombox. The IR sensor is on the latter so it'll function just fine without any work.

If you use the stock transformer (for now) also use the fuse. It's indeed between secondary windings and the rest of the PSU. As for the fuse recommendation: that can only be the one rated by the boombox manufacturer, in other words: the one that's in it now. Other fuse ratrings will only blow either too quickly, too slowly or not at all when a mishap occurs (with potentially very unpleasant results).

Finished CD and DAC!
Here is pic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unfortunately when I put test CD I noticable this:
http://www.dukasound.info/Data/TestCD.mp3
First I was thinking that can be problem with DAC, but I connect to my ECHO Gina card who have digital IN and I heard same. When I listened music I didnt hear strange sound.
What can be problem?
Duka

My obvious answer would be stop listening testtones and start listening music....

Kidding aside I had a simular problem with a tweeter in my HT when listening to testtones...at one particular testtone I was searching for cover waiting for the tweeter to explode.....something was horribly wrong at the duration of that particular frequency.....

I have watched more than 500 films (including concerts) at full level afterwards and never ever noticed a malfunction of that tweeter...make of it what you want...:)

BTW Tastefull job........compliments !!!!