Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Inspired by Peter's example and the beautiful Shigaclone story, i was wondering if a boombox like "Felix PF-445" witch I own can be used instead of JVC.
This boombox uses the same transport with JVC but has deferent ic's on the pcb.

The ic's are:
SA9618A

SA9258

SC9636-006

I was wondering if someone could help me to get SPDIF or TTL signal out of these ic's in order to feed my external dac.

Thanks in advance.

I have been following this thread for quite sometime . I stay in india and unfortunate no CD only boom box is available here.SO I am unable to make any headway .
Interestingly found lot of changes in the samsung cd mechanism while replcing my fathers Samsung Boombox( which has MP3 and vcd support) cd mechanism .Attaching some Pics .
They are pretty cheap only 140 INR= US$2.8
Wanted to share it .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards ,
SOmak

somakmaitra said:
I have been following this thread for quite sometime . I stay in india and unfortunate no CD only boom box is available here.SO I am unable to make any headway...

Hi SOmak,

If you want a EZ51 like mine, I am willing to purchase one and send it (or just the bits you need) at cost.

As you can see from the link, the EZ51 is £39.99 from Argos and I would have to weigh mine to work out the postage to India.

It is a fun project so let me know if you are interested. :)

somakmaitra said:
Thanks Jam for your kind help .
What will be the mailing cost from your place ? can you send me a PM

According to the Royal Mail website Parcelforce Standard delivery to India is approximately £81.99 and should take about a week, Parcelforce 'Economy' costs £66.79 and takes over 45 days. :(

However if you want I will remove and send the parts you need for the Shingaclones - (The CD mechanism; magnetic puck; display board, and remote control)

This way I can send them as a 'small packet' instead of a parcel.

That will make it: Airmail £3.64 and takes about 5 days, Surface mail £2.86 and takes around 56 days.

Unfortunately, PMs seem to have been diabled (See this thread: Mail settings don't work ) but I will send you an e-mail instead so you can contact me if you decide you want to go ahead. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jam Today said:

<snip>
Unfortunately, PMs seem to have been diabled (See this thread: Mail settings don't work ) but I will send you an e-mail instead so you can contact me if you decide you want to go ahead. :)

Private messaging "PM" (which is not the same as email) has been disabled for many years, the email link is a different matter, check to make sure you have that choice correctly enabled if you want forum members to be able to email you directly.. The system is working I have received several emails this way today.

I need some help guys!!

I have 2 shigas - one (my own) working perfectly. Second one made for a friend and it has been killing the mechanisms. Right from new I had to put in a second mechanism. Then last week I got a call to say the shiga wouldn't read the TOC (hit the toc button, disc spins slowly and after a longer than normal spin time, you get 00 in the display). This is the same behaviour as if the crystal was dead (using the citizen one).

So I replaced the mech and it worked fine for about a week or so. It died again on the guy today.:whazzat:

So it must be some fault thats killing the mech. The box its in is earthed (ie to safety earth). PS is the same as Peter Daniels, MUR860 diodes, BG cap-7808-BGcap and then into the board. Votlage is dead on 8V.

Anyone any ideas? I can't remember anyone ever having this type of problem here before.

Fran