Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
Thanks Brian.

Coulomb,

Since you are building the player from scratch it would be good idea to place the DAC inside player (since it's so small), bypass Crystal receiver and use I2S interface directly. The DAC will cost you less than $50 in parts, especially when you can buy those TDA1543 chips for less than a buck.;)

Anyway, I,ve heard good comments about Scott Nixon DAC. Fred Dieckman built it too and was very satisfied.

Thanks for the response Peter, I was thinking of just buying the board and adding my own parts. I am still trying to find out from Scott if it is compatible with I2s.

Which out put from the CDPRO2 drive do you prefer to use Peter?

I hear Mace is using the CDPR02 1254 in thier high end boxes.

Anthony

Hi,

I was wondering.
I saw this project on a website and seems to work.
http://netcity6.web.hinet.net/UserData/prbetech/iNFRA/iNFRA-1.htm

He is using an CD-Rom player from Creative labs.
There is already digital output, just connect it to an DAC and you're ready (I think).
I was aiming on an A-open drive since it has just the button I need.
http://www.aopen.com/products/cdrom/cd956e.htm
It states (just as the CD-Pro2) that it has an Audio Quantization of 16 bits..

Am I wrong?
Thank you,
Remco Blankesteijn.

Want CD PRO2 but have questions

Hi Peter, et al,

Regarding this project, I am very interested in as much as my current CDP is on its last legs but I am unsure about the following:

1. What will be the recommended DAC for this project?

2. What will be needed other than the CD PRO and a chassis to make this a remote controlled CDP with sound quality rivaling the high priced spread - say retail products selling for over $10K US?

3. I have not seen any reviews that directly compare DACs like the DACKIT to really high end players like the various Accuphases and Bats, etc., - which I have heard.

Did anyone see the review of the 47 Labs player in Stereophile this month (not that I expect anyone to take it all that seriously, but it is all that I have to go on at this point)? Would we be able to better the performance - DAC wise - of this player which the reviewer did not, hands down, recommend over the Sony 777?

4. To sum it up, I guess what I am asking is can we expect, with this project, to come out with a very very high-end sounding player?

Thanks

Mike

What will be the recommended DAC for this project?

I think that since there are so many different tastes and choices in DACs, that decision is really being left to each individual. That said, I think if someone were to offer boards for a high-end DAC design to go with the CD-Pro2, there might be considerable interest. :)

What will be needed other than the CD PRO and a chassis to make this a remote controlled CDP with sound quality rivaling the high priced spread - say retail products selling for over $10K US?

My understanding is that all that's really needed in addition to the CD-Pro2 kit and a chassis is a power supply board(s) and a high-end DAC to make a complete high-end player. (I think the CD-Pro2 module already includes an on-board TDA1305-based DAC, but I don't think most people consider that high end.)

To sum it up, I guess what I am asking is can we expect, with this project, to come out with a very very high-end sounding player?

I wouldn't be planning to buy a CD-Pro2 transport kit(s) if I believed otherwise. :)

My curent DAC is modern upsamplic design, based on PCM1704 and DF1704. It does not have balanced outputs and is connected with CD by spdif. New DAC is coming eventually. If you are interested I can send you schematic tomorrow. It's Broadhurst DAC.

On a player you see balanced outputs, but they are not in use yet. I was thinking about the future only ;)

Peter Daniel said:
My curent DAC is modern upsamplic design, based on PCM1704 and DF1704. It does not have balanced outputs and is connected with CD by spdif. New DAC is coming eventually. If you are interested I can send you schematic tomorrow. It's Broadhurst DAC.

On a player you see balanced outputs, but they are not in use yet. I was thinking about the future only ;)

I would be happy with any help you can offer, please send that new schematic you mentioned.

Thanks

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.