Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So far it's about 26 requests for a transport on a WIKI page and I think we might go forward with the order. This is how pricing looks for individual buyers from Nico. Is anybody intersted in different options than posted here (bare PCB for instance, or no pushbuttons and display window or no suspention parts and center hub)? Upon knowing that, I will contact Nico and ask him for a group deal. Since it will be shipped out of EEC, VAT is not applicable, but duties on my end have to be considered (it shouldn't be more than 15%).

Attachments

• cd.gif
    cd.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 898
Hello Daniel, can you give us some suggestions on what we should be buying? I know this sounds like an open ended question but it is difficult to tell what is really needed and what can be sourced elsewhere.

I plan on mounting mine in side a 20 pound peice of Acrylic, so I do not imagine I need the suspension. Do I need the clamps, should I buy extra? That sort of thing. Don't laugh, but what does the Centre Hub do? If you buy the bare board, are the parts readily available? What about the IR programming? Can you use any handset or is it integral to this specific application?

I have no qualms about building it, but I want to make sure I get the parts I need.

BTW if Nico marks the customs invoice as Computer Parts you should avoid Duty.

Thanks for organizing this Peter and putting up with us.

Anthony

The centre hub makes it easyer to place the clamp centric. Check the site http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/page3.html

I advice you to buy all the small parts even if you descide you don´t need one later. The clamp is to hold the CD on its turntable. You could use anotherone, but its ok to buy this cheap and good magnet one. The remote is cheap and if you don´t want it, it helps to test the device during building process because you don´t need knobs. The display lense you could decise to use or not when building the enclosure. Suspension parts are very cheap and give you the ability to play which way is best to mount. The buttons you don´t need if you descided to use different ones.

Peter, would it make sense to buy in group but direct shipping to germany from Nico? is there a better price?

I don´t think Nico will deliver bare boards anymore. When i phoned with him a year ago or so he sayd this is to much risk something doesn´t work and he will have to spend time because of mistakes consumers did. Since he doesn´t have much time for this (its not his job) he sayd he will only sell ready and tested boards.

In my opinion based on experience in building one CDP, you should choose if you want the switches or use different ones, and think is you need a spare clamp in case one gets lost (children...). Else you should take whats listed in Peters posting above.

But we will hear Peters advice on this too, i hope.

When looking at prices http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/costscalqinput.xls (spare parts select at the bottom) it seems like it costs 30 Euro for assembling display board. If you have all the small parts (resistors, caps and few transistors and zeners) you will save another 20 Euro. The hardest parts to get is resonator and X-tal, but the rest is nothing really special. So it's up to you if you want all the hassle of gathering parts and possible risk of static discharge damage, but save few bucks, or you want to go the easy way and have everything ready.

I'm not using center hub as I think it's not really necessary. I'm not using suspention parts as well, but it may be worth experimenting and see how it works. Attaching transport directly to the platform however, has advantage from construction side and it simplifies things a lot. In this case suspention is not used.

You will definitely need a clamp, remote, maybe display lens (does it give blue or red color of display?) and probably buttons and connectors set .

Regarding duty, it depends on Nico how he will treat it. Last time I ask him for lower declaration he said that he won't risk it with small order and UPS shipping. So, for computer parts is there no duty?

For EEC people it might work as well if he goes for lower value. They don't pay 19% VAT, and although shipping might be more expensive it could still come to same amount (in case he won't ship separately)

Resending it? I thought it was going to be shipped directly to Australia as per our email correspondence. Just need to tell them to ship by post, not courier.

The other Australian buyer, Richard, contacted me regarding shipping cost and tax. I'm sure he prefers to ship directly to Australia too.

It all depends on arrangements with Nico. If he agrees to ship separately to Australia, I don't mind. The thing is, he will probably ship by UPS, which might be $88 or more, if I ship surface it would be around $20. Same with customs. I can declare no commercial value on a package, he will declare full value on a single package. It's all up to you and him.

As I want to contact him ASAP, I would like to know if anybody has any special requests, that differ from a standard package I posted in a price table.

I think within EEC it's $20, but 19% VAT goes on top so it amounts the same. On a group purchase of 30 units, shipping per unit is almost negligable and European members avoid paying VAT. My shipping would probably be around $20 most everywhere. The only additional expense is the duties I would have to pay when I receive the shipment from Nico.

group

Hi,

Not to sound negative, but I'll only go through with this if the saving is substantial enough. As far as I know I'm the only one in the UK on the list, and if this reduction is not favourable then I'll wait and order at a preffered time as an individual. Anyway keep us posted Peter about price. I don't think it makes too much sense to send the unit all the way to the states and back (financially) unless of course there's going to be a reasonable saving over ordering direct.

Thanks
Raj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.