Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2018, 01:26 AM   #781
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ready made enclosure for convenience

I am looking for an aluminum enclosure for the ES9038Q2M board. Any opinion on this case from minishow0328?

MINI aluminum chassis case for ES9038Q2M DAC DSD Decoder | eBay
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:11 AM   #782
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilau View Post
Any opinion on this case from minishow0328?
It doesn't show the back so it is not clear if it has the proper cutouts for all the connectors. Also, where would you put the power supply? Doesn't look like any extra room in the case. Are you are thinking of using a single-ended wall-wart or something?

Also, those DAC boards without any electronics mods don't sound all that good. That is why many people are interested in modding them. Putting one in a case that costs more than the board could end up looking a lot better than it sounds.
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:31 AM   #783
MBA is offline MBA  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=keilau;5413207]I am looking for an aluminum enclosure for the ES9038Q2M board. Any opinion on this case from minishow0328?

IIRC I have seen this case to be offered with this very board and wall-wart PS on eB somewhere so the chance it will have the right cutouts on the back panel is not bad. In my opinion the points Markw4 mentioned are valid. I myself use to proceed in decision process in following order: basic kit > desired functions > other boards/PS > space needed > case optics >case selection. Sometimes I make compromises if I find a really appealing enclosure though ;-). I depends on your possibilities to modify the panel, cutouts, galvanize etc. or if a bench drill is the only tool you have at hand...
Old 23rd April 2018, 05:38 PM   #784
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
It doesn't show the back so it is not clear if it has the proper cutouts for all the connectors. Also, where would you put the power supply? Doesn't look like any extra room in the case. Are you are thinking of using a single-ended wall-wart or something?

Also, those DAC boards without any electronics mods don't sound all that good. That is why many people are interested in modding them. Putting one in a case that costs more than the board could end up looking a lot better than it sounds.
Minishow sent me these pictures which seem to be ok and the case function is what I am looking for:

Click the image to open in full size.

Minishow also said that the back panel is pre-drilled for the ES9038Q2M board. I am looking for first hand experience with this or other case.

Last edited by keilau; 23rd April 2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 23rd April 2018, 05:55 PM   #785
Mikett is online now Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Ha Ha same could be said of some commercially available high End DACs. Of course the Benchmark is an exception since the case does not look so hot.
Old 23rd April 2018, 06:04 PM   #786
Mikett is online now Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Minishow sent me these pictures which seem to be ok and the case function is what I am looking for:

Minishow also said that the back panel is pre-drilled for the ES9038Q2M board. I am looking for first hand experience with this or other case.
Depends on where you want to take this board. Markw4 is seriously modding to a very high standard. You could do some mods that might fit in there but will not reach the level as markw4 is shooting for.

Just make sure that what YOU want to END up with will fit. I would say assemble everything as close to the final sould you want, live with it a few weeks and IF it is indeed final then time to find a case. As for myself. What i thought was final a couple weeks ago has been shelved and I might end up looking for a case perhaps twice as large as I had initially thought I needed.

I decided to use up as many transformers as I could use from my collection as well as all the High Quality Linear supplies I have lying around and throw all the parts bin into this project. Because it is possibly my last "build". Does that ever happen?
Old 23rd April 2018, 06:28 PM   #787
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikett View Post
Depends on where you want to take this board. Markw4 is seriously modding to a very high standard. You could do some mods that might fit in there but will not reach the level as markw4 is shooting for.

Just make sure that what YOU want to END up with will fit. I would say assemble everything as close to the final sould you want, live with it a few weeks and IF it is indeed final then time to find a case. As for myself. What i thought was final a couple weeks ago has been shelved and I might end up looking for a case perhaps twice as large as I had initially thought I needed.

I decided to use up as many transformers as I could use from my collection as well as all the High Quality Linear supplies I have lying around and throw all the parts bin into this project. Because it is possibly my last "build". Does that ever happen?
I am talking about the Q2M instead of the PRO chip. I am looking for a modern DAC at budget price. I have toroidal transformer and regulator dual voltage PS left over from my headphone project. This DAC will interface the Blu-Ray player (Sony BDP-S7200) and the cable box to the analogue preamp.

The Minishow case is priced right. If the enclosure quality is good, it allows me to get the DAC up and running in a quick weekend project. My reference point is the Topping D50 or SMSL M8A at half the price, and a higher quality power supply. Any reason not to?
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:17 PM   #788
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adson View Post
Just a day ago I have finished the setup (however, very simple setup) with exactly this board. For my ears, sound is good. So, if you have any question, please, let me know - I will answer whatever I will be able.

BTW, probably, there is the sense to create another thread regarding to this board?
Yes, please do. We are all looking for hidden gems and ways to polish them!
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:18 PM   #789
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any reason not to?
The Q2M can perform very nearly as well as the PRO chip. Distortion for Q2M if very carefully implemented can reach -120dB. For PRO with careful implementation, distortion can be as low as -122dB.

What is mostly different between Q2M and PRO is best obtainable noise performance and versatility.

Without serious mods, I forget exactly what it is for voltage mode operation with this board but distortion might be around -70dB or so. Not very good. Not even good enough for good 16-bit playback if one considers that 16-bits goes all they way down to -96dB.

All in IMHO, of course.
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:12 PM   #790
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Without serious mods, I forget exactly what it is for voltage mode operation with this board but distortion might be around -70dB or so. Not very good. Not even good enough for good 16-bit playback if one considers that 16-bits goes all they way down to -96dB.

All in IMHO, of course.
Markw4, in your opinion, the commercial ES9038Q2M board is a terrible implementation? It is useless without "serious mods"? Your view seems to contradict most of the reviews of this board.

-70dB distortion is 0.03% in distrotion. While not superlative, it does not seem too bad to me in analogue term. Does the board really have 0.03% distortion? How audible it is? I need to come up to speed on DAC specification!!

What constitute "serious mods" by your view? I am looking for a modern DAC that can be built at budget price. What board will be better than the ES9038Q2M?

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!