Building with the Soekris dam1121 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2016, 09:36 PM   #1
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Building with the Soekris dam1121

This thread is for everybody to share designs, ideas and tips for building DAC's using the Soekris dam1121 R-2R Sign Magnitude DAC module.

The module is intended to be mounted with component side down on a main board with power supply, digital audio receivers and with the user interface. It can also easily be used with cabling, but note that the headers are 2mm pitch.

I have no plans to make main boards to carry the dam1121 module, but will be happy to assist anybody who want to make one, plenty of opportunities to make different ones, from simple stereo ones to high end balanced ones and with different buffer technology.

Info to start with:

The dam1121 product page, with a manual and example schematics for a balanced test board: www.soekris.dk/dam1121.html
Old 20th May 2016, 03:16 AM   #2
schmike is offline schmike  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

can you explain more about the 1121 master clock in spec?
I don't want to use the SI570
can I direct pass the clock to DAM1121 by using the amanero(which is translated to LVDS differential clock)
thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 04:46 AM   #3
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Just ordered 2 so this seem relevant :-D

Will use them in balanced mode, each driving an nCore/SMPS600. DAM -> nCore 4cm cable. nCore -> speaker 30cm able. nCore/DAM in one and the same box.

Rest will be: SB Touch, Toslink optical splitter, 5 meter Toslink to each DAM. Death to analog cabling!

I will use this to power the DAM: 0.8uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3/5/7V 1.5A*x2 - DIYINHK

I have 2 of these lying around - could be useful if the nCores like low impedance drive for some reason... : JG buffer - I2S over USB Audio powered by the 15v version of the above.

Remote attenuation remains to be solved. I think I could live with some funky long thin cables drawn behind the sofa with a double pot... at least initially.

I have high hopes for this topology.

//

Last edited by TNT; 20th May 2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 20th May 2016, 04:53 AM   #4
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If we ask questions, I think it would be more useful if you updated the manual instead of writing an answer here and instead, quote the question(s) and point again to the manual if a question indeed rendered an update.

//
Old 20th May 2016, 05:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
If we ask questions, I think it would be more useful if you updated the manual instead of writing an answer here and instead, quote the question(s) and point again to the manual if a question indeed rendered an update.

//
That's very true!
Not only the 1121, for 1021, typical user would read the manual before ask.
Old 20th May 2016, 11:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmike View Post
can you explain more about the 1121 master clock in spec?
I don't want to use the SI570
can I direct pass the clock to DAM1121 by using the amanero(which is translated to LVDS differential clock)
thanks
For the FIFO to work the dam1121 must control the programmable clock oscillator, either the internal or external one, just like the dam1021.
Old 20th May 2016, 11:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I do intend to update the dam1121 manual as needed, will also update the dam1021 manual at some point....
Old 20th May 2016, 01:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

At what frequencies does the MCLK run for the 352/384 kHz sample rate families?

I guess normally the frequency is selected based on the incoming I2S/SPDIF sample rate.
Is it possible to switch the MCLK frequency externally? I'm thinking here about the possibility to have the I2S source on the mainboard and to drive it synchronously from the DAM MCLK.
Old 20th May 2016, 01:29 PM   #9
schmike is offline schmike  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
For the FIFO to work the dam1121 must control the programmable clock oscillator, either the internal or external one, just like the dam1021.
So,this is not real ext. clk
It only can change to SI570 ONLY
Old 20th May 2016, 02:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Took a look at the manual and see the MODE parameter is not mentioned within the UMANAGER section.

I am sure it is still available in UMANAGER, just wanted you to know.

Hide this!Advertise here!