Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2015, 09:02 AM   #181
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul,

Your post is not completly clear for me !

What is the result ? Upload filter : ok ! Better subjective sound to you than moving the FIR2 after this upload ?

Thanks for the good work
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:32 PM   #182
diyAudio Member

OK, so I tested most filters and my conclusion is that the MB2 from TNT and bam_comb1 from bambadoo feel closest to the source right now, maybe with the edge at the bam_comb1, it is really nice, keeps the emotional impact and has very little color.
I tested in a loopback configuration (blurring the results due to additional AD and DA conversion of course, but still the only way to do a blind test easily) so I can listen against the original file.
The milder filter slopes of spzzzzkt sound a little bit more coloured than the source, but MinPhaseSlowrev1 is a pleasure to listen to, kind of a bit more exciting than the source file. Very nice!
The winner in the exciting category is NOS, but this one is really coloured, with a very alive bass and prominent highs and a kind of breathing sound, too dirty for me, but I can understand why some people like that configuration.
With the exception of the NOS, all filter configurations sound kind of close to each other (in my setup), and no filter really sucks.
Thanks to all the filter brewers, keep up the good work!
Old 23rd February 2015, 02:30 PM   #183
potstip is offline potstip  Turkey
diyAudio Member

sox 14.4.2 is out btw...
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:35 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

Paul,

The last thing I intend to do is to change the intentions of this thread but thought I would mention what I did last night - finally getting a digital system back together.

Since I have not tried changing anything in the DAC - just wanted to hear if it worked I used dBPoweramp to upsample to 24/192 a few recordings and it is pretty dramatic the difference that makes skipping the first set of filters.

Tonight I will (hopefully) install the proper firmware and your filter files and hear what that does. Seems a worthy comparison even though the thought of a 1 TB disk becoming a 100gB disk is a little daunting.

I hope this SOEKRIS project does not end up requiring THAT though I could live with it.

Willl be interesting to revisit what I listened to last night with your new second stage filter in place.

By the way - does the DAC retain the original filters? Do we need to copy them to retain them? Of course, the question could well be who wants to retain them?!
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:13 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Soekris has posted the original filters in the "original thread"
Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:27 PM   #186
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop.sing View Post
OK, so I tested most filters and my conclusion is that the MB2 from TNT and bam_comb1 from bambadoo feel closest to the source right now, maybe with the edge at the bam_comb1, it is really nice, keeps the emotional impact and has very little color.
I tested in a loopback configuration (blurring the results due to additional AD and DA conversion of course, but still the only way to do a blind test easily) so I can listen against the original file.
The milder filter slopes of spzzzzkt sound a little bit more coloured than the source, but MinPhaseSlowrev1 is a pleasure to listen to, kind of a bit more exciting than the source file. Very nice!
The winner in the exciting category is NOS, but this one is really coloured, with a very alive bass and prominent highs and a kind of breathing sound, too dirty for me, but I can understand why some people like that configuration.
With the exception of the NOS, all filter configurations sound kind of close to each other (in my setup), and no filter really sucks.
Thanks to all the filter brewers, keep up the good work!
The materials for the listing test are always 16/44 or you tested also some other Fs ?

Certainly we will see the links to the different filters in the Wiki though there are not so much pages in the original thread and this one about the filters... not the ECDESIGN John' thread yet !.

Ah, I will buy a USB to serie adaptator and read DimDim's blog !

Last edited by Eldam; 23rd February 2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:33 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
Soekris has posted the original filters in the "original thread"
Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Thanks bambadoo.

I should have looked there.

Take care,
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:41 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
The materials for the listing test are always 16/44 or you tested also some other Fs ?

Certainly we will see the links to the different filters in the Wiki though there are not so much pages in the original thread and this one about the filters... not the ECDESIGN John' thread yet !.

Ah, I will buy a USB to serie adaptator and read DimDim's blog !
Just 44/16 and just one track, I was actually only listening for the difference to the original file, not the most emotional sound or so....
If you just listen through that DA without a reference, you might easily prefer some colored conversion like NOS, because it kind of sounds like an enhancer :-)
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:42 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
Paul,

The last thing I intend to do is to change the intentions of this thread but thought I would mention what I did last night - finally getting a digital system back together.

Since I have not tried changing anything in the DAC - just wanted to hear if it worked I used dBPoweramp to upsample to 24/192 a few recordings and it is pretty dramatic the difference that makes skipping the first set of filters.

Tonight I will (hopefully) install the proper firmware and your filter files and hear what that does. Seems a worthy comparison even though the thought of a 1 TB disk becoming a 100gB disk is a little daunting.

I hope this SOEKRIS project does not end up requiring THAT though I could live with it.

Willl be interesting to revisit what I listened to last night with your new second stage filter in place.

By the way - does the DAC retain the original filters? Do we need to copy them to retain them? Of course, the question could well be who wants to retain them?!
FYI: There are several software players that will upsample on the fly so that you wouldn't have to save upsampled versions. HQPlayer seems to be the best of the bunch. It will resample all the way up to DSD....
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:26 PM   #190
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just so my plans are known:

I'm working on firmware to expand the filters, my plans are:

A) To support 4 FIR1 filters for each sample rate types than can be selected between over the serial port, default will be 2):

1) Linear Phase
2) Medium, optimized mix between Linear Phase and Minimum Phase
3) Soft, mostly Minimum Phase but not that good alias rejection
4) No filter, also called non oversampling, no alias rejection

There should be no reason to upsample elsewhere, the dam1021 have plenty of DSP power to do it in realtime, once the filters are done and tuned.... In principle a PC is way faster, but you can't really load it down to much doing DSP work without making it unusable as a PC....

B) The FIR2 filter will also be modified to be pretty soft....

There will come an official soekris release, all done using rePhase, but it take a little time to make and test all those filters.... Keep working on them here as it give me a lot of input what to do....

Hide this!Advertise here!