Soekris 's DAC implementations - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2015, 06:41 AM   #641
ristar is offline ristar  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
I made a simple circuit to keep a relay powered that has NC contacts shunting the output when the coil is off, the relay only engages when the DAC has a solid LED output (lock) and the input voltage from the +/-12V power supply is good.

End result, no more speaker pops/crackles during sample rate changes , has a good delayed power on function since the DAM takes a bit of time to boot/lock at powerup, and the poweroff PLOP happens after the relay has already shunted the output.

I can do a schematic later but its just a simple rise/falltime config that feeds an NPN darlington that acts as the 12V coil switch and a normal jellybean NPN used to invert the LED output along with some resistors, diodes and a capacitor. I simply power it off one of the legs of DC power input.
Sounds great! Looking forward to this... Was intending to use arduino to do this once dimdim/glt come up with the core code.
Old 28th March 2015, 11:48 AM   #642
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
I made a simple circuit to keep a relay powered that has NC contacts shunting the output when the coil is off, the relay only engages when the DAC has a solid LED output (lock) and the input voltage from the +/-12V power supply is good.

End result, no more speaker pops/crackles during sample rate changes , has a good delayed power on function since the DAM takes a bit of time to boot/lock at powerup, and the poweroff PLOP happens after the relay has already shunted the output.

I can do a schematic later but its just a simple rise/falltime config that feeds an NPN darlington that acts as the 12V coil switch and a normal jellybean NPN used to invert the LED output along with some resistors, diodes and a capacitor. I simply power it off one of the legs of DC power input.
That would be great!
Old 28th March 2015, 04:42 PM   #643
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEQ+TheEnd View Post
Anyone believe the LVC595’s could benefit from being thermally connected?

I’ve read somewhere that early R-2R test done by others had problems with uneven on resistance in the 595 device used in their early implementation. Of course the LVC version used here is of much higher quality and If I remember correctly SÝren measured switching speed at 70us.

What I’m thinking is a thin sheet of copper covering all the resistors and LVC595’s. With double sided thermal stickers on each LVC.
Hi DEQ+TheEnd. Did you try the idea with the copper?
Old 28th March 2015, 04:58 PM   #644
diyAudio Member

Hi PanagiotisPapadakos.

No I’ve decided I’m not doing any hardware modifications until filters are sorted out and Soren release firmware including intended functionality. Don’t want to paint me in a corner before all the walls are in place.
Old 28th March 2015, 10:43 PM   #645
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEQ+TheEnd View Post
No Iíve decided Iím not doing any hardware modifications until filters are sorted out and Soren release firmware including intended functionality. Donít want to paint me in a corner before all the walls are in place.
x2. I'm not prepared to commit to a final hook-up scheme until the dual mono functionality is documented and released. The next firmware release should hopefully eliminate a lot of the unknowns.

I had been looking at the Lundahl transformer options for balanced out but kept coming back to the point that the outlay is roughly the same as buying a second DAM to run a dual mono setup.
Old 29th March 2015, 03:11 AM   #646
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spzzzzkt View Post
x2. I'm not prepared to commit to a final hook-up scheme until the dual mono functionality is documented and released. The next firmware release should hopefully eliminate a lot of the unknowns.

I had been looking at the Lundahl transformer options for balanced out but kept coming back to the point that the outlay is roughly the same as buying a second DAM to run a dual mono setup.
Which transformers were you considering?
Old 29th March 2015, 07:51 AM   #647
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I belive this DAC is (as all are more or less) sensitive to acuostical and mechanical feedback. So it should be put into a non vibrating enclosure which is sealed to the outside sound presure. A non metallic one reduce the interference with the signal. Don't use those big bulky metallic boutique connectors - they kill dynamics and and put a low roof on the soundstage. Use single solid core teflon isolated wire.

//
Old 29th March 2015, 09:00 AM   #648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I belive this DAC is (as all are more or less) sensitive to acuostical and mechanical feedback. So it should be put into a non vibrating enclosure which is sealed to the outside sound presure. A non metallic one reduce the interference with the signal. Don't use those big bulky metallic boutique connectors - they kill dynamics and and put a low roof on the soundstage. Use single solid core teflon isolated wire.

//
I am new to DAC, this is my first DAC but feel your idea very interesting!

Do you think which parts of DAC is sensitive with vibrating/sound? Can we cover that specific parts by sound isolate material?
Old 29th March 2015, 09:11 AM   #649
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Maybe - but one should be aware of that if something is placed on actual components, that may have adverse electrical effects in itself. The crystal that makes the oscillator is sensitive. Then there seem to be indications that the actual resistors in the array is also sensitive.

//
Old 29th March 2015, 09:33 AM   #650
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Maybe - but one should be aware of that if something is placed on actual components, that may have adverse electrical effects in itself. The crystal that makes the oscillator is sensitive. Then there seem to be indications that the actual resistors in the array is also sensitive.

//
I have used some blu-tak under the PCB and over the crystals for both the DAC and my CM6631a card as damping material. I am not sure if it has any effect, since I've been listening the dac like this from the beginning.

Hide this!Advertise here!