miniDSP 4x10 Hd sounds really good! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default miniDSP 4x10 Hd sounds really good!

Just wanted to give my recommendation for the miniDSP 4x10 Hd. It's a really nice product and a bargain for the price.

I've tried both GroundSound DCN28 and DEQX HDP-4. I haven't compared all of these together but have compared each one to my reference Lynx Two-B soundcard (going straight to amps). Speakers Geddes Abbey and Hypex nCore power amps. I have been running the miniDSP with unbalanced outputs so far by the way.

Sound quality using digital in, the miniDSP is better then GroundSound. Not doubt. When it comes to a comparison to the DEQX HDP-4, I'm not 100% sure. The DAC in the DEQX sounded too bright IMO and was sort of sticking out. I'm not hearing this with miniDSP. Compared to Lynx Two-B both the miniDSP and DEQX has a tiny veil over the sound. The Lynx Two-B sounds a bit more clear and transparent. Not sure which comes closest, but overall I think the miniDSP is the best. It was hard to distinguish it from Lynx Two-B. I believe there's a difference in transparancy which makes the music sound a bit more real with the Lynx, but the difference is really small. Very impressive for a product for this price.

The software is also very easy to use. There are a few things I'm missing, but they may come in future upgrades.
A strongly recommended product. Much better then the Behringer DCX2496. There's no noise with the miniDSP.
Old 15th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Omholt,

thanks for sharing. I am in the process of pondering getting this unit.

This thread made me think, though:
New miniDSP 2x8 / 4x10 card

I know the Lynx, and its a good reference.

Do you notice any high frequency noise?

Cheers,
Achim
Old 15th December 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyAchim View Post
Hi Omholt,

thanks for sharing. I am in the process of pondering getting this unit.

This thread made me think, though:
New miniDSP 2x8 / 4x10 card

I know the Lynx, and its a good reference.

Do you notice any high frequency noise?

Cheers,
Achim
Well, what would that sound like? Like mentioned I believe my Lynx Two-B sounds a bit more clear, but they are very close.

I see they mention that the 2x4 board measure the same as 2x8. The latter has higher SNR, so they should be different. I don't know if that would show up in their measurements though.
Summary Table | miniDSP

Edit: I see now that the noise is above 50Khz. Not sure even a dog would hear that....

To me the miniDSP sounds really good and subjectively and non objectvely , I think it's better than the DEQX HDP-4.

I'm still looking forward to the coming Hypex DLCP. I do believe there are rooms for some improvements, but I could live fine with the miniDSP 4x10 Hd. I definetly couldn't with the Behringer DCX2496 or GroundSound DCN28.

Last edited by Omholt; 15th December 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 15th December 2012, 04:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
I'm still looking forward to the coming Hypex DLCP.
Me too, if I knew it would be out in January, February, I'd wait. But this has been such a long story coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
I do believe there are rooms for some improvements, but I could live fine with the miniDSP 4x10 Hd. I definetly couldn't with the Behringer DCX2496 or GroundSound DCN28.
Thanks for trying to rank this...

I just found a European distributor for miniDSP. So I guess it should even be possible to buy a unit with a certain return policy: Juoigâ
Old 14th June 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your recommendation. As some have complained about the DACs in Minidsp 4 x 10 I wonder if they had a more sensitive system than you. What amp and speakers did you use?
Old 14th June 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hypex Ncore power amps. Geddes Abbey speakers.
Abbey

I also have a pair of CBT36 speakers and these are the ones I'm using with the miniDSP, but haven't done the same comparison here. That would require me to set up the Lynx with a software crossover program.
http://www.audioartistry.com/products_CBT.htm

Last edited by Omholt; 14th June 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

At it´s price range the minidsp is the best option , i own both minidsp 4x10 and nanodigi. I use the nanodigi as 3 way crossover and the minidsp as crossover and dac for subs and woofers.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Armand is offline Armand  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I own both the 2x4 and the 2x8. I have not compared them directly but they both sound good to me.
The only bad thing I can say about miniDSP is that the analogue inputs are really noisy. Digital input is the only way to go.
The MiniDSP support is also very helpful.

Armand
Old 14th June 2013, 01:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't have any problems with noise using analogue in (unbalanced at the moment) from my Lynx Two-B soundcard.

Still, I want to those last percentages. So I'm going to buy a Hypex DLCP.
Old 14th June 2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I own both the 2x4 and the 2x8. I have not compared them directly but they both sound good to me.
The only bad thing I can say about miniDSP is that the analogue inputs are really noisy. Digital input is the only way to go.
The MiniDSP support is also very helpful.

Armand
I don't get any issues with noisy analogue inputs (using balanced) on the 2x8. My speakers are reasonably efficient, my amps are Ncores, dac is Buffalo/legato. Sounds very clean.

I look forward to any comparison with the DCLP though, if there's a quality improvement there I shall ultimately go that way too.

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!